Sales I've seen

4 hours ago, Mike B said:

That casting on the top is the obsolete one. He assured me it was not. I've spoken with Jack about that casting. You do not want it on your plane.

Well, I wouldn't say "obsolete", as Kent says - just sub-optimal. Thousands of canards have the old plain bushing style NG-6, and if installed correctly and adjusted on occasion, they work fine. Tapered roller bearing is better, but expensive. Pays your $$$ and takes your choice.

It is bonded to a strut that is NOT wrapped. Because it is not wrapped it is already splintering where the through bolts are drilled. To use the strut I'd have to figure out to remove the obsolete casting, grind off all the JB Weld and start over. I have no knowledge as to the properties of JB Weld.

Agreed - a close-up of the pic you posted shows a raw nose gear strut with no torsional wraps - you can't see any weave; it's shiny; and there's no peel ply texture. This is a clear indication, in my opinion, of the intensely sub-standard and unsafe work that Mr. Hanson continuously cranks out.

That said, the nose gear strut is <$100 from Aerocomposites, and the upper and lower castings, as well as the NG-3/4 are easily salvageable. Heat and a hammer will break them free of the strut, and you can grind out the residue. Or just grind the strut out of the castings, since you're not trying to save the strut.

I have no knowledge as to the properties of JB Weld. So, it won't be on my plane. I have spent time messing with it. It does not appear to have the tensile strength of flox and is not as hard.

Actually, for bonding, JB Weld is probably superior to flox in a laminating epoxy - the bonding strength is higher. No one in the industry uses laminating epoxies for bonding - various Hysols are common bonding agents, and JB Weld is in type of family. So that was the least of the issues with the nose strut assembly - really, the only issue was that the strut wasn't wrapped - if it had been, you could have easily lived with the JB Weld and older style NG-6.

5 hours ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

Well, I wouldn't say "obsolete", as Kent says - just sub-optimal. Thousands of canards have the old plain bushing style NG-6, and if installed correctly and adjusted on occasion, they work fine. Tapered roller bearing is better, but expensive. Pays your $$$ and takes your choice.

Jack told me it would get loose on the first cross wind landing. The plans call for MKNG-6A. So, I'll stick with that.

Agreed - a close-up of the pic you posted shows a raw nose gear strut with no torsional wraps - you can't see any weave; it's shiny; and there's no peel ply texture. This is a clear indication, in my opinion, of the intensely sub-standard and unsafe work that Mr. Hanson continuously cranks out.

Interestingly, there was a wrap. But, it was only under the NG-3/4 pieces.

That said, the nose gear strut is <$100 from Aerocomposites, and the upper and lower castings, as well as the NG-3/4 are easily salvageable. Heat and a hammer will break them free of the strut, and you can grind out the residue. Or just grind the strut out of the castings, since you're not trying to save the strut.

The strut is now $148. And yes, a little heat and a hammer removed the castings.

Actually, for bonding, JB Weld is probably superior to flox in a laminating epoxy - the bonding strength is higher. No one in the industry uses laminating epoxies for bonding - various Hysols are common bonding agents, and JB Weld is in type of family. So that was the least of the issues with the nose strut assembly - really, the only issue was that the strut wasn't wrapped - if it had been, you could have easily lived with the JB Weld and older style NG-6.

This Quickie project out west, on Craigslist.

https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/avo/d/jamestown-quickie-q1-unfinished-kit/7093268741.html

BTW, found this using the Google search "site:craigslist.org quickie q1"   Sometimes you will find aircraft or other stuff with this format.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Seen on FB.  In Switzerland.  Nice, but 123,400 Euros ($133K) worth of nice?  Probably not unless you live in Switzerland.  Search for Vito Wyprächtiger on FB. He says:

"Nice Long Ez project, it is all painted and ready for engine and prop. All parts are here. Cowlings have camloc installed etc. I also have a complete Garmin G3X system including autopilot and all the probes for the engine. It is a wonderfully build bird. It is in Switzerland, shipping is up to the buyer but I’m willing to help and assist to load it into a container. I’m selling it because i have to many projects. The registration is stickers only. Just make me a fair offer and it is all yours."

I was in Zurich last year.  Wow, expensive city.  😞

95246390_10223200824152527_9028704899021406208_n.jpg

94702551_10223200825312556_7021186444127371264_n.jpg

-Kent

Barnstormers today N61TG  Pretty low airframe hours for a 2003 build.  https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N61TG

180HP LONG EZ • $39,995 • FOR SALE • LONG EZ 2004 180HP. AF 154hrs. Engine 1650 SMOH. 600 STOH.Leather interior. Silver Bullet Prop. Basic VFR Panel.Beautiful safe flying airplane. 180kts on 8.5 GPH.BEST PLANE I HAVE EVER OWNED!! Family needs a four seater. • Contact Thomas Giddings , Owner - located Ft Myers, FL United States Telephone: 727-858-1772 • Posted May 2, 2020

medium_image_1571882_1.jpeg

medium_image_1571882_4.jpeg

-Kent

Here's one for you:  Facebook chap says today he wants to sell "but not officially", then he will send info when interested party is "ready".   Jeesh.  What a way to sell an airplane!  I will post something when it's "official" or you can beg the seller for info.

Longworth.png

-Kent

I personally like the raffle method.  Everyone interested throws in 50 bucks - and when 4000 are sold it gets random picked.  This way one can "sell" an airplane for $200k - and the buyer only has to pay $50....  

image.png

Edited by mquinn6

38 minutes ago, mquinn6 said:

I personally like the raffle method.  Everyone interested throws in 50 bucks - and when 4000 are sold it gets random picked.  This way one can "sell" an airplane for $200k - and the buyer only has to pay $50....  

image.png

Well...until that fist annual. Then they find they are paying $50k for overhaul and squawks on a plane than will sell for no more than $30k.

This on Barnstormers today.  No pics.:

LONG EZE UNFINISHED PROJECT • FOR SALE BY BUILDER • Structural sections built by an A&P. No engine/instruments. text to phone only. KFXE • Contact gary hall - NONE , Owner - located N. Lauderdale, FL United States Telephone: 954-979-9494 • 9494 • 979 • Posted May 12, 2020

-Kent

Been corresponding with a gent who bought a Long-ez kit through David Orr (  David@canardfinders.net   )  fuselage, canopy, wings, center spar,  canard, hardware all for $3000.  It was probably $10K-12K in materials alone and really nice workmanship.

P1010815.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

-Kent

I think this is a new one--on Barnstormers today.  Great time to buy airplane projects, I guess.  More pics in the ad.

QUICKIE Q-200 TRI-Q PROJECT • $2,400 • PROJECT FOR SALE • I have a fairly complete Tri-Q project for sale. Has fuselage with header tank and split fuselage mod installed, canopy, wing, canard (bottom side glassed, top needs completing, appears all glass to do so is here and pre-cut), fin, cowling, spinner, landing gear (nose and main), wheel pants and fairings, wheels and brakes, flight controls, tail wheel parts (should you need them) fuel tank, many many pieces and parts which I have not inventoried. Plans are included. Wing rack is not included. Project is located at KDTO (Denton, TX). Asking $3500.00 as is, where is. • Contact Dave Anderson , Owner - located Roanoke, TX United States Telephone: 8502182427 • 850-218-2427 • Posted May 12, 2020

thumbnail_image_1561776_1.jpeg

thumbnail_image_1561776_3.jpeg

-Kent

Today on Barnstormers:  Infinity gear? 

XP RETRACTABLE LANDING GEAR • CLEANING OUT THE HANGAR • Not Sure what these where made for, large main retractable gear with Matco Wheels and Brakes and Hydraulic Actuators. They are new in the crates and I believe manufactured in the early 2000's. Wheels and Brakes are the Matco 323 Series with Internal Brakes. All you need to jump start your project. Make me an offer. • Contact Ian Wolfenden - PLANEMARKETING , Owner - located Vero Beach, FL United States Telephone: 772-559-5557 • 772-563-0774 • Fax: 772-563-4922 • Posted May 13, 2020

This Defiant project has been advertised before

DEFIANT PROJECT  • $25,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • Molded: fuse top w/gulwing drs/fixed wshield, fuel strakes, cowls. Wings, canard, fuse on gear.$25k • Contact Jerry Langford , Owner - located Orange Lake, FL United States Telephone: 352 509 5511 • Posted May 12, 2020

medium_image_1574492_1.jpeg

medium_image_1574492_5.jpeg

-Kent

• 2 weeks later...

This project seen back in March relisted, reduced a couple thou.    Pretty good deal--$13K including a 500 hour engine.  He probably has $25K in it.   Personally, I would have to get rid of that schnozola of a nose but that'd be easy.  🙂

LONG EZ WITH O-320 • $12,995 • FOR SALE • 75% complete Fuse is on wheels, canopy is glassed and cut out but not finished on the inside. Wings are 80% complete, need tip sails mounted (supplied) and finished on the inner side next to fuse. All the major parts are built. Ronz canard built by Dennis Ollman. Lots of parts go with it, electric pitch trim, nose gear actuator and speed brake. Cozy Girls controls, engine mount, nav lights and power supply etc. Pre made strakes with baffles, Carbon cowl, upper and lower from a Berkut. 1 complete original set of plans. $12,995 with a 500 hour 0-320 out of a Cardinal • Contact Alfred Jones , Owner - located Marthasville, MO United States Telephone: 3144986982 • Posted May 22, 2020

pics and previous ad here:  https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=67249

-Kent

Today on Barnstormers.  Pretty good deal.  The Plasma II Plus is selling for $1315-$1335.   Lightspeed has had five iterations of Plasma, Plasma II, Plasma II plus, Plasma III.   Newer versions have some additional features but you would be hard pressed to tell much difference in flight.  Any of them are a big improvement over a mag.  Plasma II and up use the mini-sensor or Hall effect sensor.  http://lightspeed-aero.com/Products/MiniSensor.htm

I am still using 2 of the original Plasmas.

CD IGNITION • $650 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • Light Speed Engineering:PlasmaII Electronic Ignition,Complete set-up. Replace 1 mag.863-698 8491 • Contact Craig Muth , Owner - located Mulberry, FL United States Telephone: 863-698-8491 • Posted May 24, 2020

-Kent

Seen on the cozybuilders list:

After messing around near 25 years, I’m willing to admit I will not complete. The project has always been in the Southern California area. There’s lots of parts, stock, & support materials. The project is just enough on its gear to make it easier to move around the hangar. It does have the Wilhelmson electric nosegrear retract with the pitot speed sensor extend feature and the Featherlight main gear bow.

If interested in purchasing this project to get a little head start, please contact me off list at joeheag-at-gmail.com.  [Joe Heagerty]

Plans S/N 0393 with M-Drawings kept intact.

Builder’s Log, notes in construction manuals and photos.

Cozy Newsletters from 30 to 91, Nat Puffer.

Central States Newsletters from 1990 to 2017.     Most all receipts.

-Kent

This EZ on the Seattle Craigslist.  Posted today.  Good deal but the engine is pretty high-time.   https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/avo/d/port-townsend-long-ez/7131686541.html

Rutan Long EZ 2 place Exprimental.
Lycoming O-320 B3B 2000hrs/1200TOP.  Catto 3-blade
Seattle to LA Nonstop at 150kts/best economy cruise/180kts at 75% power.
ADSB in/out Narco flip flop/transponder.
Located at Jefferson County Int'l, ALWAYS hangared.
No tire kickers please.

00c0c_7yOyWd9GkRE_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01313_6xCijfuX9h3_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

-Kent

• 2 weeks later...

This Defiant project in California.  Pretty far along.  Builder was a flight test engineer.  Wife selling   Arlene Martinez   (Area Code for Rosamond, CA)- 4o6-91o7

Link to pics posted today on HBA so I presume it is still for sale.  First mentioned May 17   https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VucgXVdKg4FZ9gWyK8jO79TR3P42vFlg

-Kent

Chaps, I am taking a break from updating this thread.  You are welcome to post any sales you see.  I tried to identify the N-number of any aircraft I saw and post a link to the FAA registry.

It's been fun but as I sit here this morning reading the news and watching the country come apart, it has rather drained my enthusiasm.

-Kent

No place for politics.

I did delete the book of faces from my phone today and its been a lot better.

I too thought the world was coming to an end. Then I went to the airport, saw almost every hangar was open people being friendly and enjoying the nice day.

Even went to home depot and noticed the same. Thought surely this is a fluke.

Drove through my neighborhood and seen almost the same thing. People out doing yard work, waving and being friendly.

Turn off your Facebook and news, and be kind to each other.

Thanks kent for your updates, easy to get frustrated in this world. But turn it off and look for yourself.

sincerely

Jamie H.

• Thanks 2