Sales I've seen

1 hour ago, Jenate said:

I listed my long ez for $95k a while back and got 3 separate offers for $90k and decided not to sell.

That is FANTASTIC!

Perhaps the high selling prices of the RV homebuilts are having some impact on nicely finished EZ's such as Nate's and that Varieze listed for $50k.  So glad that the EZ fleet has what appears to be some resurgence in value, at least with the ones with newer finishes, interiors, and engines.

There was a Berkut at Oshkosh for sale.... advertised for around $350,000.

• Like 1

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

I met a guy with a beautiful RV-6 some years ago.  He had gone to Osh with a pocket full of money and kept offering the owner more and more (the airplane was not for sale) until the owner gave up.  Musta paid $30K above the market in those days but he wanted the nicest RV-6 and didn't care about building one.

I think it's fine to talk about prices and whether some plane is over- or under-priced.  It is just opinion.  When the money changes hands, THAT's what it's worth to that buyer.    Unfortunately we usually don't know what these airplanes sell for.  Perhaps some enterprising reader will do a registry search for some of the old-ad N-numbers and see if the airplanes have changed hands.

I sold my EZ last year for $40K but I had lots of offers at $25K to $30K.   I would say $95K Long-ezs and $50K Variezes are in the tail of the bell curve but maybe they will find a buyer with a pocket full of cash.

bell-curve-1024x513.png

• Thanks 2

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

On 8/2/2019 at 9:41 AM, Kent Ashton said:

I post this thread to give folks a handy way to see what has been advertised.  Informed comment and opinions about these airplanes is welcome but...

I truly mean it when I say thank you for your posts and contributions.  This thread is always an interesting read and much appreciated and welcomed by everyone.

I have no issues with your intent, however...

...stay out of my thread, plz.

Mechanically speaking, this thread works like any other where anyone can post.  There are options to give you control (as a moderator) of this particular discussion:

1. Change the thread title to 'Sales Kent has seen'.  You can absolutely put members on notice when posting off-topic, and we even have an emoji for that:  :topicoff:.  
  2. Create a personal Blog here (this is open for anyone to do) titled 'Sales I've seen' and we can redirect future discussions from the last post in this thread to your Blog discussion, and then 'lock' the thread.  
  3. A dedicated sub-forum title 'Sales Kent has seen'.  This thread can be moved in its entirety to this sub-forum where you will be the moderator.

I am happy to support any of these options.  In cases of both #2 and #3, you would be the author and moderator of comments -- able to approve or reject comments as you saw fit.  We've discussed #2 and I'd be happy to follow-up on this with you off-line to come up with a solution.  I see the Blog route as the best option, but #3 is fine as well.

Hey, will you girls...

This is where I, as a moderator here, cannot let posts that go against the forum guidelines stand.  Many of us have daughters and there are actually a few female members on this forum and many supportive significant others.  Whether you realize or not, you are suggesting that there's something wrong with being a girl, or that being a girl means something behaviorally inferior to men.  Ironically, this is the same sort of petty banter that you're trying to prevent.  More importantly, I consider this also touching upon the Civility and Respect portion of the forum's Rules and Guidelines in the same way the other comments you highlighted do. 

On 8/1/2019 at 12:57 PM, pilothicks said:

...Marc has a freedom of speech to act like an ass on a regular basis.

I missed this in my original response.  Name-calling and personal attacks are not welcome on this forum.  Please refrain from doing so.

...If you want post snark at each other, use Private Messages.

Aye aye!  If you must post snark at each other, do it on the phone, in person, in email, or through the Private Message system.  Keep it off the forum lest we will discourage member participation.

Everyone, please reacquaint yourselves with the forum's Rules and Guidelines.  They are located on the bottom of every page in this forum.

I return you to 'Sales I've seen', by @Kent Ashton

:grouphug:

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

It is truly hard to write about some projects without being critical.  Here's a Long-EZ "project" (a once-flying Long-EZ that was then converted into a UAV) that looks a bit rough around the edges starting at US$ 7,500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Long-EZ-Project/323866177853

2019-08-05_13-22-44.png

With all the hub-bub about commenting on these For Sale items, I defer to say anything more than I already have.  But I cannot.  My take is that this plane is not worth the hassle and I wouldn't take it if given for free (well, there are a handful of items I'd take).  That's just me, and without much basis at all, or knowing the builder, or the history, and whatnot.  There are better deals out there for acquiring something resembling a "quick build Long-EZ kit".  Sorry eBay seller barberd6rfe.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Just a quick note to say that despite all the noise in here I do appreciate the effort that KA goes to in order to locate these various for sale canards and then post the details on here for the rest of us - just a pity that he hasn't found anything yet that ticks the boxes for me😁

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so glad this page exists! Thank you to the OP and all contributors for doing the hard work of keeping this info fresh and for sharing your wealth of knowledge. I'm saving every penny I can to buy a well-built Longez, I've seen a few here that would have been great if I was ready to buy, my goal is June 2020.

All the best, Tom

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 5:07 AM, Kent Ashton said:

This EZ today N367MS  "Magnificent Seven"!   https://registry.faa.gov/AircraftInquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N367ms      LONG EZ  AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE  Long EZ N367MS 0-320 powered nose gear 170/180 knot cruise • Contact William R. Oertel, Owner - located Norco, CA USA • Telephone: 951 751-8627 . 951 738-8300 • Posted April 17, 2019

The second airplane Oertel is selling recently.  Good chance to compare them.

watermark.jpg

watermark-1.jpg

watermark-2.jpg

Empty weight is almost 1100#.  Anyone have an experienced guess on how much could be lost going to a simple glass panel? 

2 hours ago, 2High2Fast said:

Empty weight is almost 1100#.  Anyone have an experienced guess on how much could be lost going to a simple glass panel? 

10 - 15 lb. max. If the empty weight of a Long-EZ is 1100 lb., it's a single seater, and replacing the panel isn't fixing that.

10 - 15 lb. max. If the empty weight of a Long-EZ is 1100 lb., it's a single seater, and replacing the panel isn't fixing that.

That's generally the harsh truth, especially if you don't want to exceed the max gross of 1425 lbs, but its not all that terrible. While it is not advisable, many (I might guess 50% of the fleet as a wild guess) Long-Ezs fly over gross at some point even if their sporty performance is greatly diminished. Also, flying it solo isn't so bad especially since that is how the majority of our flights are flown any how. Although the "extra" weight might be stuck in the as built structure, it is possible that a plane could still have remediable weight with legacy starters, alternators, vacuum pumps, heavy wood props, high density foam seats,  overbuilt cowlings, etc. So, don't stop at the panel for potential weight savings.

PS- I don't know the specific plane in discussion.

• Like 1

Reported sold:  N19LE.  This one:  https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=63668  The last asking price I heard was $25K; I think it went a bit cheaper.

This Varieze today in Barnstormers N9LX (pics 1,2):  http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/Aircraft/9/N9LX.shtm

1985 VARIEZE • $15,000 • FOR SALE • 1985 Varieze, SN # 1448. 1350 T.T. 0200 Continental. "0" STOH. Electric starter gen. Radios and more! $15,000.00 OBO. 209-333-7345 • Contact Joel Helicopter - ALPINE HELICOPTER SERVICE, INC, Friend of Owner -  located Woodbridge, CA United States • Telephone: 2093688530 • 2093688530 • Fax: 2093332162 • Posted October 28, 2019

This Long-ez in pieces N95SD  (pics 3,4,5).  Could be a good value if there are no surprises.  http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/Aircraft/9/N95SD.shtm  

ASSEMBELY REQUIRED • $18,000 • FOR SALE • Some assembly required. I have a long ez that needs only a small amount of work to get it flying. It comes with a low time engine 0-320 D3G 178 hours since major overhaul. The last overhaul was done in 1995. I have bore scoped the cylinders and they look great. The engine comes with exhaust, carburetor, bendix mags and new motor mounts, head gasket sets and motor stand. The push rod tubes are plastic and got cracked during shipping, but I have new push rod tubes ready to install. Open to all reasonable offers. The plane is currently at Stockton Metropolitan Airport. • Contact Adam Coyan, Owner -  located Mi Wuk Village, CA United States • Telephone: 2097708759 • Posted October 26, 2019

medium_t151769918.jpeg

medium_IMG_0468.jpeg

large_1517148_s-.jpeg

large_1517148_th.jpeg

large_1517148_20_0JQrVfR.jpeg

• Like 2

-Kent

VariViggen:  I recall someone looking for one of these within the last year.  No pics in the ad.  I would guess it is without an engine.

VARI VIGGEN • $5,000 • FOR SALE • Vari Viggen Winter project airplane, was a flying airplane at onetime. Appears to be good workmanship and was in process of restoration by previous owner. Airplane has SP wings with winglets. Lots of spare parts that go with the airplane, canopy, fuel tank, main gear, cowling, nose cone, ect. Airplane is setup for 0-320 series engine with exhaust. All electrical appears to be complete as well as flight control rigging. Will consider all offers. $5000.00 OBO. 940-683-2553 940-389-0115. • Contact Harold Love, Owner -  located Bridgeport, TX United States • Telephone: 940-389-0115 • 940-683-2553 • Posted November 12, 2019

• Like 1

-Kent

Bill Walsh's semi-annual attempt to sell his projects on this FB post https://www.facebook.com/groups/homebuilt.aircraft.exchange/permalink/1714396972013026/?sale_post_id=1714396972013026   First seen here:  https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=61273 

On the plus side, projects at this stage are pretty easy to finish to your own satisfaction and the FAA won't question who built it.  On the negative side, I imagine that if a buyer has never built a composite airplane, it could be a bit intimidating to jump into a  half-finished project like this but the learning will be pretty easy there is no reason why it couldn't become a flying airplane (or two).  It's not an airplane for big people, though.  

walsh projects.png

36177408_1957159410962777_3678077857625538560_n.jpg

-Kent

Bumping this "A-solution" project which is back on Barnstormers today.   https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=63573

His broker is doing a terrible job of marketing it.  Same asking price, no pics and a bare minimum description that tells nothing.  However there is plenty of history and pics of this project at http://forum.canardaviation.com/showthread.php?t=4928   or search for the builder Bob Setzer.  I pulled off a few pics (sorry, not in order):  Fuselage plug used to make molds, mold for the belly, plug for a centerspar mold, canopy plug, retractable gear.  Lots more pics in the CA thread.  An incredible amount of work went into this project.

Resize Wizard-11.jpg

Resize Wizard-9.jpg

Resize Wizard-7.jpg

Resize Wizard-18-1.jpg

Resize Wizard-20-1.jpg

Resize Wizard-1-1.jpg

Edited by Kent Ashton
  • Like 2

-Kent

Saw this EZ, N916TB, on Trade-a-plane and here  http://airplanesusa.com/?planes=1986-long-ez.    O-360!   Asking $49,000.  The panel looks like a B-52 panel.  Funny that these seller sites will not let you copy-out photos but I took a screen shot.   Bwwah, ha, ha, ha.  More details in the ads

N916TB.png

-Kent

On 4/3/2019 at 5:53 AM, Kent Ashton said:

Two today: First a chap on the Cozybuilders list selling a project.  He says

Then this Long-ez, N79YT  https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=79YT        LONG EZ AIRCRAFT • $45,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE  Long EZ for sale. good plane. built 1984 650 hours. new engine 0320 160 hp. asking $45,000. Basic IFR panel, no GPS, no ADS B. Will install new upholstery to suit buyer. can provide photos. No one over 6 feet tall please. • Contact William R. Oertel, Owner - located Norco, CA USA • Telephone: 951 751-8627 . 951 738-8300 • Posted April 2, 2019

Couple more pics in the ad.  Oertel is a well-known canard mechanic in California.  

watermark.jpg

watermark-1.jpg

I'm buying this, pending the details. I'll do all the reading I can (have done quite a bit, already), and use the search function, but forgive the newbie questions I may inflict on the group!

excited to joint the canard community!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2High2Fast said:

I'm buying this, pending the details. I'll do all the reading I can (have done quite a bit, already), and use the search function, but forgive the newbie questions I may inflict on the group!

excited to joint the canard community!

Just out of curiosity, who did your Pre-Buy examination?