Sales I've seen

This EZ today on Barnstormers:   RUTAN LONGEZ • $28,000 • FOR SALE BY OWNER • 1986 TT 2550 hrs air frame. Engine 0-290D2- approximately 230 hours since rebuild and 3300TT. Electric nose gear. Electric spoiler. Heavy-duty Cleveland brakes. Sterba prop. Pods. • Contact Jamie Burgess, Owner - located Pinedale, WY USA • Telephone: 307-231-1463 • Posted April 9/2020 • Contact Jamie burgess - WYOMING AERO PHOTO , Owner - located Cora, WY United States Telephone: 3072311463 • Posted April 8, 2020

N21LR  https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=21LR  Serial no. 104, one of the early ones.  Not sure about that red crush velour.   They say if you want to sell a house, paint the inside white or off-white. 🙂  

medium_image_1477644_3.thumb.jpeg.47ca91b0853f76756ac68cdebb4d3154.jpeg

medium_image_1477644_2.jpeg

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Also this Cozy III project posted last week (B-stormers)  COZY III • $7,500 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • Cozy 111 project structure complete; Wings, winglets, canard, Cleveland wheels & brakes, fuel pump, electric nose lift and forward tilting canopy. • Contact Donald Berlin , Owner - located Tucson, AZ United States Telephone: 520-904-9979 • Posted April 2, 2020

A very good price considering all the work done.  Materials alone must be $15K or more.  More pics in the ad.

medium_image_1563402_1.jpeg

medium_image_1563402_5.jpeg

-Kent

Also on Barnstormers...

RUTAN VARIEZE • $12,000 • FOR SALE • 1980's Rutan VariEze never flown. Continental 0-200 zero time engine. Excellent workmanship by a man in Phoenix, AZ although it now has some hangar rash/chipped paint. S/N 417, FAA Reg. N 5584K. Full panel but all older instruments. Transponder and Unicom. Needs weight and balance certificate and new propeller due to age. Located in West Odessa, Texas. Always hangared in very dry climates. Logs. Plans. Please call 307-331-2083 • Contact George Long , Owner - located Odessa, TX United States Telephone: 3073312083 • Fax: 432-878-7648 • Posted April 9, 2020 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser• Recommend This Ad to a Friend • 

couple pics of the above Varieze.  It appears to have had a airworthiness certificate at one time.  It could be reissued with a new N-number.  https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N5584K

Just blow the Odessa dust off and go!

medium_image_1565141_2.jpeg

medium_image_1565141_4.jpeg

-Kent

Kent - that is how i am struggling (still) with mine.  Had been flying and passed hands 7 times - have flight aware dates and locations.  No AW is no AW UNLESS FAA has it on file (which FAA shows "none").  Local fsdo said "might as well take a chainsaw to it"....  Still not giving up - anyone have build pictures of their varieze that I can look at?

3 hours ago, mquinn6 said:

Kent - that is how i am struggling (still) with mine.  Had been flying and passed hands 7 times - have flight aware dates and locations.  No AW is no AW UNLESS FAA has it on file (which FAA shows "none").  Local fsdo said "might as well take a chainsaw to it"....  Still not giving up - anyone have build pictures of their varieze that I can look at?

Mike, here is my analysis:  When you first talked to the local FSDO guy you did not have title to the airplane so naturally, the FSDO guy wasn't going to help you with an airworthiness certificate.  I see today that you now have the aircraft registered in your name as N555MQ.  I would guess you have two options (1) go back to the FSDO and request the former A.C. (N350W) be reissued to you under your new N-number.  People change N-numbers all the time.  N350W is no longer shown in an online search but they probably have the old A.C. in their records.

Or (2) apply for a new A.C. under the N555MQ number which the FAA or a DAR will issue after inspecting the airplane (to prove to them it was built by amateurs).  Since it was previously approved under N530W that should not be a problem.

https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=55MQ

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Kent, I have gotten the title straightened out - the doctor signed over the 8050-2 and I have the plane now in my name.  I talked w/ the FSDO after it was in my name.  He asked if I was the original builder - I said "no".   I  explained that I had all the chain of custody indicating that their was an airworthy (or they would not have bought it and flown it!).  It has been an uphill battle for sure!

I have bought the latest "how to deal with the FAA" kit from EAA and have gotten guidance from them to "finish the plane" - "document everything you know" - "pray".... 

So, have been working on it (but not motivated because of the gap in build logs from before me to the raw materials).  The current form requires names of people that built each part - with signature.  (did I mention the original builder is no longer alive? 😞  ).  

FSDO is saying I have to PROVE that it was amateur built...  I asked them "of all the Varieze that have ever been registered - have ANY _NOT_ been amateur built?" They said that is not proof.  Burden lies me...

Have been working on other peoples stuff and flying...   Maybe I should just get back to this and finish it...  roll the dice with what I have...  (Find a DAR that is sympathetic to these experimental minds (might have one)).

Mike I edited my post after seeing that you have title now.   The aircraft was approved as "amateur built" when it was first registered as N530W.  Tell the FSDO to go to their files and check the A.C. for N530W and compare it to your application for registration.  You DID show "N530W" on the bill of sale, didn't you?  If you did not, then you did not transfer title to N530W,  instead you invented a brand new airplane N55MQ, that the FAA must now assure itself was built by amateurs.

The FAA does not like to reregister a formerly registered airplane as a new build.  Otherwise people could steal airplane and just reregister them as newly built airplanes.  It appears to me you may have registered it as a [new build] under N55MQ.   You registered it as a "Wilson Rickey Vari-ez" but an experimental name does not mean anything.  To the FAA, it looks like a new build applying for an A.C.  You are probably going to have to correspond with Oklahoma City and get the whole thing corrected, presuming that you had a bill of sale to N530W signed by Teegarden.

quinn ez.png

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

You can get an N number for your motorcycle - just file for the reservation and then associate it to a "serial number".   So FAA claims they have no records of ever seeing or reviewing for AW - I even tracked down the local FSDO that Rickey Wilson MIGHT of gotten it done - and no luck!

Not trying to be deceitful - just trying to get a plane in the air... 

Want to warn anyone looking at a plane (like the one mentioned above without AW) - to NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS I   !!!  Plane must come with proper documents and proper chain of custody or expect "challenges". 

One can order full documentation for any plane on paper or a CD thru the FAA (it does not even have to be your plane!).

8 hours ago, A Bruce Hughes said:

IF I were 30 years younger, I would check on the Varieze in Odessa TX; that price is amazing.

It certainly is a very dry climate; in 1956, my wife hung our washed clothes out a few miles west of Odessa.

Bruce Hughes

I wonder if the engine was pickled on this thing?  If it sat around all these years in an unpreserved state...

• Like 1

After a bit of research, here is some info about out-of-date, expired aircraft registrations and missing airworthiness certificates you may find helpful:

After a period of time--I do not know how long, perhaps 5 years--the records of aircraft with expired registrations are purged from the active FAA files.  Until then, you can apply to the FAA, pay a fee, and get copies of the records as described here

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/copies_aircraft_records/

When an old aircraft record is purged by the FAA Records Center, it is sent to a Federal Records Storage facility in Fort Worth.  The record can be retrieved and copies made for you by the FAA (Oklahoma City) upon request and payment of an additional fee.  This is not discussed in the FAA's online information so you have to know to ask.  I saw this on an aviation lawyer's website.  Without specifying that the old record is in storage, the Records people will only search their online records.   See  https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/interactive_aircraft_inquiry/

Here is a Federal Register Notice from 1979 discussing storage.

https://books.google.com/books?id=-0hevbJxbuAC&pg=PA28443&lpg=PA28443&dq=aircraft+registration+records+federal+storage&source=bl&ots=0an6wFPTaH&sig=ACfU3U0NJGOUQizt4zM-AZqzMxUS5hA5XA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwicma7Sx-PoAhXqRt8KHWuFDo8Q6AEwBXoECAwQNA#v=onepage&q=aircraft registration records federal storage&f=false

If you know the N-number of your old aircraft, and you have good title to the airplane (that's another story), you can apply for reissuance of a missing Airworthiness Certificate.  If the N-number registration on the airplane has expired and been assigned to another airplane, you can request another N-number and from the Registration branch.  The A.C. must reflect the actual N-number used.  Per 14 CFR § 47.15(a)(1) you cannot just get a new number and paint it on an airplane that was previously registered.  See https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/47.15    To prevent theft, the FAA wants to know you are changing from the old number to the new one, even if the old number has been assigned to another airplane.    This can be done with a letter to the Registry.  See  https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/n_numbers/

People often sell airplanes thinking to avoid liability by turning in the A.C.   I do not know the precise rule but I know that in some cases, buyers who knew the N-number applied for the A.C. as a lost A.C. and it was reissued.

These things will mostly likely require a FSDO or DAR inspection before the FAA will hand you the replacement A.C.  They just want to make sure what you are doing complies with regs.

Some people have advised "find a friendly DAR, do some work, take some pictures get a new N-number and apply as if it is a new airplane."  This is dangerous and can get you 5 years in jail.    See https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1001

Edited by Kent Ashton
  • Like 1

-Kent

The Odessa Varieze a few posts back https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=67960  put additional pictures on Ebay.  A commenter throught this was 70S primer.  In the early days Rutan recommended a graphite-rich dark primer to act as a UV shield.  Trouble is, paint did not stick to it very well and after a while, the topcoat begins to come off.  For the Cozy III I once owned, big thumb-sized topcoat flakes came off and I ended up stripping the entire airplane, refilling, and repainting.  😞

These days, I think I would hire one of the mobile Co2 blasting services that will come to your house  Here's one  https://pennmobiledryiceblasting.net/

You have to be careful blasting with water.  It can flex the fiberglass and cause a delam.  I've heard soda blasting works but it leaves soda in every crevice.

s-l1600.jpg

-Kent

Further info on retrieving old FAA records:  Federal Records [storage] Centers are branches of the National Archives.  The process for sending records to storage and getting them back is rather complex https://www.archives.gov/frc/toolkit  and only the Records Manager at the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center (OK city) can get their records back from storage.  This page talks about the records system for the benefit of FAA employees  https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/records/

The Records Manager for Ok City is on the bottom of the page here   https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/records/contact/   It appears to me that the average records technician at Ok city does not understand the storage system.  If you encounter problems getting long-expired records, I suggest emailing the Records Manager.

I don't know if the FSDO that orginally issued an airworthiness certificate would have copies of long-expired certificates.  They eventually send their old records to storage like Ok city, but I suppose it is worth a try.  Nothing is easy.  🙂

• Like 1

-Kent

Bidding on the dusty Odessa Varieze above is up to $10,500 today (Ebay item  333573375855).  Seller does not say he has good title--something worth confirming.  Bidding ends Sunday afternoon.

-Kent

Another Vari today on Barnstormers:    N2ZE  https://registry.faa.gov/AircraftInquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N2ZE

VARIEZE • $20,000 • FOR SALE BY OWNER • 1983 Varieze, complete with an O-200 by Ly-con engines (only taxi time on rebuild). Asking $20,000. I'm selling this for an older gentleman who wants it sold as soon as possible. Please call him direct for more info. Earl at 915 775-4648. (no text or email) • Contact John Todhunter , Friend of Owner - located Hemet, CA United States Telephone: 858 945 0079 • Posted April 22, 2020

"Asking" $20K.  Could turn into a good buy with a professionally-rebuilt engine.  You would have to find out what "rebuild" means.   It is a tough time to sell an airplane.  I would have added "virus free, non-GMO"  🙂

medium_image_1569436_5.jpeg

medium_image_1569436_1.jpeg

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Seen on the Cozybuilders' list, in Portugal.

I have a set of unused Cozy Mark IV plans #1103 that I bought from designer Nat Puffer years ago. Included is 2 copies of all the M drawings and all the relevant newsletters issued. Also have the following material bought from Wicks AS:

02EACH  F500-035 3/4X24X48, H45, 3#, DIVINYCELL P FOAM
01EACH F500-055 1/4X26X39-1/4-H100, 6# BLUE FOAM
04EACH F400-085 0.2X12X48, 18LB YELLOW FOAM
14YARD RA5177 FIBERGLASS CLOTH 38" UNI
22YARD RA5277 FIBERGLASS CLOTH 38" BID
01EACH COTTON FLOCK 1 POUND BAG
01EACH B23/500-G GLS BUBBLES FILLER, 1LB BAG 
... and the following bought from Airtech:
01ROLL (90,0m2) VACUUM BREATHER/BLEEDER PER 150-1500
01ROLL (62,0m) VACUUM BAGGING FILM ECONOLON-1520
01ROLL (91,4m2) PEEL PLY ECONOSTITCH-1000  

The plans and all the material is located at Cascais, Portugal. Call Ricardo at +351932660600 or email at rimartinsri@gmail.com.

Thank you,

Ricardo Martins

-Kent

The Cozy tub and canard in Tennesee, first discussed here https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=67535  back on ebay, bidding starts $500 lower at $2K.  Good price depending on his reserve.   Item 254576820796    

-Kent

A true "Picasso on the curb".    Listed yesterday.  Let's see how long this one lasts.  Barnstormers.

Q-2-200 • FREE FOR THE TAKING • Need space more than $. Q-2 complete fuselage on gear w/canopy & cowling controls in. Have complete O time Revmaster power and instrument packages will entertain offers on. • Contact John Greenwell , Owner - located Cape Coral, FL United States Telephone: 239-633-5653 • Posted April 23, 2020

medium_image_1569787_1.jpeg

medium_image_1569787_2.jpeg

-Kent

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:41 PM, Marc Zeitlin said:

If you missed my warnings on the COZY and canard-aviators mailing list, be VERY careful with anything that David Hanson has worked on from a structural or aerodynamic standpoint. Caveat Emptor.

I, unfortunately, missed the warning. Now, I have a $700 paper weight. Although I'm incredibly angry at being sold X and getting Y. I'm stupefied that it appears the pivot was bonded to the nose strut with huge globs of JB Weld?!?!?

52 minutes ago, Mike B said:

I'm stupefied that it appears the pivot was bonded to the nose strut with huge globs of JB Weld?!?!?

It that the JBWeld at the top in this pic?  The plans say use flox for bonding the castings to the nose strut to eliminate any looseness but JBWeld should be just as good.  If it's a good bond, I would think it'd be OK.  Maybe it just needs to be cleaned up with a Dremel and burr.

91706785_2877276912354633_4276471057994481664_n.jpg

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

That casting on the top is the obsolete one. He assured me it was not. I've spoken with Jack about that casting. You do not want it on your plane. It is bonded to a strut that is NOT wrapped. Because it is not wrapped it is already splintering where the through bolts are drilled. To use the strut I'd have to figure out to remove the obsolete casting, grind off all the JB Weld and start over. I have no knowledge as to the properties of JB Weld. So, it won't be on my plane. I have spent time messing with it. It does not appear to have the tensile strength of flox and is not as hard. Of course, I'm using EZ Poxy. That stuff is like granite when it is dry; lots of fun to sand.

Suit yourself but I do not think there was an "obsolete" casting.  True, Jack makes a better one with tapered bearings but the old one was very serviceable.  I did put a grease fitting on mine so I could inject a bit of grease.  It has worked for 740 hours without getting loose.

If the strut was not wrapped, I guess that's a problem but I'd have to see a closeup pic.  I'd be surprised if it wasn't wrapped.  The upper casting is just floxed-on (or JBWelded on   🙂   ) and bolted.

JB Weld is a great product.  Not the usual flox-substitute of course, but the "steel" version is 5020 PSI bond  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-B_Weld  I would say it is over-engineering for this use because it takes 300-600 degrees to soften the bond and stronger (I think) than flox but if it was mixed 50/50 and got hard, I would have no hesitation about leaving it there. 

-Kent