Sales I've seen

3 hours ago, A Bruce Hughes said:

Anyway, that is not about airplanes so does not belong here.

So why post against the forum's guidelines?! You can find the link at the bottom of every page on this site. Here's the particular guideline I am referring to:

Absolutely NO POLITICS OR RELIGION. Do not risk the one thing we have in common (canards) with polar topics and references. Anything remotely resembling a pointed political or religious reference will result in deletion of your post.

I left your thank you there in appreciation of Kent's posts, otherwise it would have been deleted.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

On 6/6/2020 at 5:58 AM, Kent Ashton said:

Chaps, I am taking a break from updating this thread.  You are welcome to post any sales you see.  I tried to identify the N-number of any aircraft I saw and post a link to the FAA registry.

It's been fun but as I sit here this morning reading the news and watching the country come apart, it has rather drained my enthusiasm.

Kent, try to think of the Canard Zone as a "sanctuary" from all the noise that's out there.

Enjoy your time off and I look forward to your future posts whenever works out best for you.

Sincerely,

Jon 

There were 2 pictures and some information on a Longeze in Jefferson County, Washington.

However there seems to be no way to get more information.    I certainly am not looking for a Longeze; I have one already.   That one looks much better than mine.   But I really would like more information like "why did he not advertise in some reasonable place like on Barnstormers, with David Orr, or in the Central States newsletter ?"    The Craigslist info was gone very quickly.

Bruce

On 5/12/2020 at 4:01 PM, Kent Ashton said:

I think this is a new one--on Barnstormers today.  Great time to buy airplane projects, I guess.  More pics in the ad.

QUICKIE Q-200 TRI-Q PROJECT • $2,400 • PROJECT FOR SALE • I have a fairly complete Tri-Q project for sale. Has fuselage with header tank and split fuselage mod installed, canopy, wing, canard (bottom side glassed, top needs completing, appears all glass to do so is here and pre-cut), fin, cowling, spinner, landing gear (nose and main), wheel pants and fairings, wheels and brakes, flight controls, tail wheel parts (should you need them) fuel tank, many many pieces and parts which I have not inventoried. Plans are included. Wing rack is not included. Project is located at KDTO (Denton, TX). Asking $3500.00 as is, where is. • Contact Dave Anderson , Owner - located Roanoke, TX United States Telephone: 8502182427 • 850-218-2427 • Posted May 12, 2020

thumbnail_image_1561776_1.jpeg

thumbnail_image_1561776_3.jpeg

Just an update that this one sold for $1,200 in early June.

For Sale: Set of used Long-EZ plans, Section 1 (pic).  Missing license page.  Several pages are loose in the binding but otherwise complete.  Includes A1-14 drawings reprinted to size from Open-EZ drawings Rev. 5 and a thumbdrive with PDF files of Roncz canard build instructions and templates, high performance rudder plans, landing break plans, Pilot Operating Handbook, a zip-file of the A1-14 templates and Ary Glantz' Bill of Materials list.  Yeah, you can download all that stuff and schelp it to the FEDEX store but here it is, mostly printed.  The Section II plans (engine) are not included.  $250 and I will pay the shipping.  PM me if interested.

IMG_1892.jpeg

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 9:11 AM, TOMN8R said:

(NOT MINE) 1987 Long Ez - $45.5K

Looks sharp, 2030 TTAF with 150 SMOH on O-320 A2B. Cato 3-blade, nose lift.

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1586235-Long-Ez.html?catid=18880

medium_image_1586235_1_1593496066.jpeg

medium_image_1586235_4_1593496059.jpeg

medium_image_1586235_3_1593496058.jpeg

medium_image_1586235_2_1593496067.jpeg

Went and looked at this one, today.

I’d love some opinions if anyone’s offering free advice!😁

the 2-part canopy: forward visibility is much improved, but the rollover protection from the triangle-shaped piece is lost. Any thoughts on what the structure remaining would provide (some, none, lots?) I’m not certain what it’s made of (just composite?)

Plexi condition: rear canopy has a little haziness and strake windows are quite scratched up. How hard is it to replace molded-in custom plexi pieces? Didn’t look simple to me, but I don’t know composite construction.

compressions: some in upper 60s. Broker says due to sitting and not flying much since overhaul (150 hrs in 9yrs, if memory serves). Says they should come up just fine after running an hour or two at high power, and agreed to retest after that’s done. Seem reasonable?

fuel drain vs  composite/paint:

one drain has bubbling paint around it to the diameter of a quarter, or so. The other has had the paint sanded off a similar footprint. Assuming there’s a slight weep at the drain, is that a big concern in terms of the composite material, over time?

I’m still a newb to these planes, so thanks for any perspectives.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:11 AM, TOMN8R said:

Also, the engine was overhauled in June 2006, NOT April 2009 as stated in the ad. The spec sheet has the correct date. 150 hrs in 14 years? Assuming it can be proven sound without another overhaul, thoughts about likely TBO (assuming less than 2000 in these circumstances)? What would YOU want done to gain confidence in such an old overhaul, assuming it lived in Arizona the whole time? Thanks again!

Sorry for formatting- tough on mobile, at times

2 hours ago, 2High2Fast said:

the 2-part canopy: forward visibility is much improved, but the rollover protection from the triangle-shaped piece is lost. Any thoughts on what the structure remaining would provide (some, none, lots?) I’m not certain what it’s made of (just composite?)

That canopy will have exactly the same forward visibility as the standard one part canopy. It will make it harder to get in and out of the plane (which is bad), and will have less "bowing" with temperature changes (which is good).

There is zero rollover protection from the headrest (it's a headrest, not a roll bar), so nothing is lost other than a headrest. _IF_ the existing canopy hoop was constructed well, possibly per Mike Melvill's instructions on installing a rollover hoop into the canopy, it will be better than nothing, and possibly better than the original headrest.

Plexi condition: rear canopy has a little haziness and strake windows are quite scratched up. How hard is it to replace molded-in custom plexi pieces? Didn’t look simple to me, but I don’t know composite construction.

It's a PITA, but with composite aircraft, everything is doable. A far more reasonable solution would just be to polish them, using something like one of these:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/building_materials/bm/menus/cs/windshieldrestoration.html

compressions: some in upper 60s. Broker says due to sitting and not flying much since overhaul (150 hrs in 9yrs, if memory serves). Says they should come up just fine after running an hour or two at high power, and agreed to retest after that’s done. Seem reasonable?

No. Compressions are almost meaningless - upper 60's are fine, 70's are fine, 45 is fine, _IF_ the engine is making rated power, not using oil, and not making metal. Far more important is a borescoping. I suggest reading Mike Busch on compression testing. I've seen engines read 30, then 77 after a 10 minute run (and need a rebuild), and others that read 45 measured hot after a couple of flights and was perfectly fine for hundreds of hours afterwards. Compressions are a HINT that MAYBE something's going on, or not, but they're hardly the last word. People make WAY too much of compression checks.

This plane has flown an average of 11 hours/year SMOH. That's almost always a bad sign for engines - just enough time to let the moisture build up, the corrosion start, and the little bit of running to beat the crap out of it. BUT, if it's lived the whole time in the desert, then the chance of corrosion is pretty low. Pulling a jug would tell, BUT (again, per Mike Busch) has its own risks and costs associated with it. Since it's a rarely used plane, I'd probably want a local A&P who's NEVER SEEN THE PLANE BEFORE to CAREFULLY pull a jug and borescope the cams and lifters.

What you ACTUALLY need is a real Pre-Buy examination along with the engine check - none of that will be cheap. This MIGHT be a decent, albeit slightly overpriced plane given the panel, or it might be a $20K - $25K plane that needs a new engine.

Strangely enough, I was scheduled to install wheel pants on that plane here in KTSP until weather and COVID got in the way - not sure what the plan is now.

one drain has bubbling paint around it to the diameter of a quarter, or so. The other has had the paint sanded off a similar footprint. Assuming there’s a slight weep at the drain, is that a big concern in terms of the composite material, over time?

Nope. All easily fixable in an afternoon, even if there is a slight fuel leak around the drains.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Marc, that’s all very helpful. 
I worded “forward visibility” poorly. I know the back-seater still won’t see directly in front, but they won’t be staring at that bulkhead/headrest, and I think that’s an improvement. 
You’re confirming what I suspected regarding the engine. I do have a working knowledge of engines, in general, and on my less-run vehicles, I still run them every week or two, and all the way to fully warm. IF there was a case where the sit could be acceptable, this does seem like a likely candidate (which only means it’s probably worth the cost of checking).

it does come with another set of wheel pants. The ones installed looked sound, though. 

So the rub is, how do I get fresh eyes on it in situ? 

1 hour ago, 2High2Fast said:

I know the back-seater still won’t see directly in front, but they won’t be staring at that bulkhead/headrest, and I think that’s an improvement.

Hopefully, the pilot still has a head, though, and the back seater can't see through that. The lack of headrest will help forward visibility a bit for the rear seater, but in tandem planes, rear seat visibility forward isn't great. Every other direction is great, though.

it does come with another set of wheel pants. The ones installed looked sound, though. 

Yeah, I can see the pants on the plane, but they're the old football style - Tim's goal was to put the newer pressure recovery style wheel pants on the plane and pick up a few kts. I've got them sitting in my hangar...

So the rub is, how do I get fresh eyes on it in situ? 

Either convince Tim to bring the plane to KTSP for a Pre-Buy, or pay for me (or someone else competent) to go to Phoenix to spend a day examining the plane. See my website (in the signature) for my services. There are a couple of other folks I can recommend for PB's as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, 2High2Fast said:

Quickie in Oregon

The listing says it needs an engine and there's no mention of the avionics, but it's worth a look. 

It's setup as a TriQ, which suggests it had (or should have) an O-200 engine in it.

00g0g_lT0AltV40me_0t20lM_1200x900.jpg

00z0z_kduzoXnTCCS_0t20lM_1200x900.jpg

On 4/22/2020 at 8:38 AM, Kent Ashton said:

Another Vari today on Barnstormers:    N2ZE  https://registry.faa.gov/AircraftInquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N2ZE

VARIEZE • $20,000 • FOR SALE BY OWNER • 1983 Varieze, complete with an O-200 by Ly-con engines (only taxi time on rebuild). Asking $20,000. I'm selling this for an older gentleman who wants it sold as soon as possible. Please call him direct for more info. Earl at 915 775-4648. (no text or email) • Contact John Todhunter , Friend of Owner - located Hemet, CA United States Telephone: 858 945 0079 • Posted April 22, 2020

"Asking" $20K.  Could turn into a good buy with a professionally-rebuilt engine.  You would have to find out what "rebuild" means.   It is a tough time to sell an airplane.  I would have added "virus free, non-GMO"  🙂

medium_image_1569436_5.jpeg

medium_image_1569436_1.jpeg

Looks like this one went down in the California desert after losing engine power.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/search?updated-max=2020-08-14T10:40:00-04:00&max-results=1&start=22&by-date=false

https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N2ZE

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seen on Facebook - in Australia

DragonFly Mk2 - With the original plans

My flying preferences have changed over time and I am moving towards a bush plane which of course the Dragonfly is not. I own another aircraft and can not justify owning a third so this one must move on.

This was the first Dragonfly built and flown in Australia by Len Dyson who is well known and respected in the Dragonfly community. It comes with the original plans and boxes of very detailed records and logs.

Currently hangared at YLEG (Leongatha in Vic)

Very few flying and registered Dragonflys come up for sale so if you are interested please PM for further discussion and make this one yours.

335hrs

AeroPower VW 78HP – 32hrs since new

Hoffmann in flight variable pitch prop (Cruise/Climb)

130 knot cruise

82 Litres total fuel

Belly brake

Always hangared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PghLYniO6a8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joXzxFn0fJo

"

118109826_10222246094046291_511585333843797275_o.jpg

118118666_10222246093686282_9003539558012028760_o.jpg

118278854_10222246093006265_3147724794020268677_o.jpg

118123871_10222246091166219_3656026067488320485_n.jpg

118210486_10222246089966189_2209111217202551749_o.jpg

118122730_10222246089366174_2962433995391245545_o.jpg

118050492_10222246088766159_3417882669250026935_o.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rainey said:

Im curious about TTA&E, asking $, and location... (I've not been indoctrinated into The Book of Face).

You're better off, I'm no fan of FB either.

The OP added the following in a response to his ad:
Last years condition inspection indicated
707.4 hours on the tach
405 hours TSMOH
Compressions all in the 70’s
We put about 10 hours on it from last years CI so increment the hours by about 10 and that should be the current.

Just now, bmckinney10 said:

It is located just south of Nashville, I went to check it out and met the owner last December.  He also had a shelf full of VariEze and Long-Ez spare parts/hardware.  Nate Mullins did some work on it for him, and the JetGuys did the conditional inspection.

I was deciding between this one and the one I ended up buying.