Sales I've seen

Today Barnstormers.  one pic (below) 

COZY MARK IV 1996 • $75,000 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • Lycombing Superior X-360,760TT,70 SMOH,Cato 3 Blade Prop 72 SOH/522TT,incl.New 2 bladed Hertzler 47 TT Prop,Steam Gauges,Garmin 496+285,Trio AP,ADSB-OUT,Rocky Mnt.Monitor,New Compass+Canopy Screen,Dynon D1,New Canopy Cover,Dual Controls,New ELT 406 MHZ. contact Richard Kenny Owner,Shirley,NY KHWV 631-455-1819 • Contact Richard Kenny , Owner - located Shirley, NY 11967 United States Telephone: 631-455-1819 • 631-281-5818 • Posted November 6, 2022

medium_image_1784410_1_1667753163.jpeg

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

On 11/6/2022 at 3:01 PM, Kent Ashton said:

Today Barnstormers.  one pic (below) 

This plane had an off-field landing on a road back in 2015 due to fuel exhaustion - had some wing damage that took Rich many years to get repaired, as it was down in NC, away from home in LI and Rich has studiously avoided being part of any canard community or organization, for reasons unclear to me.

I believe that one of the folks that he took the plane to (although I DON'T know if it was the person who actually performed the repairs or built a new wing - don't know which happened) was Dave Hanson. Nuff Said - Caveat Emptor. Might be perfectly fine, but the prospective buyer will have to ask a lot of questions about the repairs and who did them.

Edited by Kent Ashton

Noticed this 76-series engine for sale today.  It is a possibility and I put one on my EZ project.  It could be used if you anticipate the problems. I had to make my own engine mount.  I made cowls too but maybe commercial cowls could be adapted.  The fuel pump is mounted near the nose of the crank so instead I used two facet pumps and had to add one-way valves to build fuel pressure, otherwise fuel feed was fine and the engine would run on gravity feed.  I normally cruised on one pump and used both for T/0.  You must use a pancake oil filter (a NAPA version worked) in order to clear the firewall.  They are good engines since the "T-mod" and permit you to remove lifters pretty easily to inspect the cam.  $15K for a zero time engine might be worth the hassles.

LYCOMING 0-320 FOR SALE • ACCEPTING OFFERS • Lycoming 0-320 H2AD 0TSOH Experimental no ancillaries no logs $15000 prefer email • Contact Thomas Stuart , Owner - located Niagara Falls, ON L2E1C7 Canada Telephone: 289 762 1001 • 905-371-1808 • Posted November 6, 2022

-Kent

8 minutes ago, Kent Ashton said:

$15K for a zero time engine might be worth the hassles.

Maybe. It's 0 Top Since OverHaul (typo - should have been 0 Since Top OverHaul). So who knows what the bottom end is... no indication of SMOH or SNEW.

Yup, could be Marc.  I took it as "Zero Time Since OH" but even that doesn't tell much about it.   Background on my H2AD mentioned above

https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/18661-kents-long-ez-project/

https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/18661-kents-long-ez-project/?do=findComment&comment=46674

https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/18661-kents-long-ez-project/?do=findComment&comment=47346

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Cozy 4 on Barnstormers:

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1784410-COZY-MARK-IV-1996.html?catid=18671

They seem to have the same issue with taking photos that most posters do.

EDIT: Kent posting this one above, that's on me for not scrolling far enough up.

EDIT 2:  No problem Tim,  I will edit it out later.  Occasionally thin the posts here when they don't relate to a sale.  🙂

Edited by Kent Ashton

The red-legged Long is for sale again:

LONG EZ - FRESH 160HP LYCOMING • $45,500 • CHECK THIS OUT • Fresh 160 HP Lycoming out for overhaul to be installed this winter. Electric Nose gear, electric speed brake, Garmin G5, MGL V6 com, Vega EMS RDAC, Airflow Performance fuel injection, dual Lightspeed ignition, Ecco ADSB. Built originally in 1988 only 1050 hours tt. 958 lbs. empty. 52 gallons of fuel.(new owner needs only to fit new carbon wheel pants for another 15 knots) Aircraft located at KDEW just north of Spokane WA. • Contact Kevin Eldredge , Friend of Owner - located Deer Park, WA 99006 United States Telephone: 509-890-5371 • Posted November 10, 2022 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Images
thumbnail_image_1721140_2_1645747792.jpeg?1909 thumbnail_image_1721140_1_1649146180.jpeg?8825 thumbnail_image_1721140_6_1662131018.jpeg?4427 thumbnail_image_1721140_10_1656856541.jpeg?4407 thumbnail_image_1721140_2_1649146180.jpeg?2977

And a Cozy:

1998 COZY MK IV • $85,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • 972.5 TTAF, Lyc LIO-360 200 hp, 58.8 hours since rebuild by Penn Yan, MT 3-blade C/S hydraulic prop, New Garmin GNX375 GPS, 160 kt cruise on 8.5 GPH • Contact Phil Kriley , Owner - located Renfrew, PA 16053 United States Telephone: 4127203152 • Posted November 10, 2022 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Images

thumbnail_image_1785429_1_1668124221.jpeg?6364 thumbnail_image_1785429_2_1668115795.jpeg?3659 thumbnail_image_1785429_3_1668115795.jpeg?2576 thumbnail_image_1785429_4_1668115796.jpeg?8635 thumbnail_image_1785429_5_1668115797.jpeg?5962

QUICKIE Q2 Q200 C-85 RUTAN • $12,500 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • Quickie Q-2 or Q-200 taildragger, it has 52hrs TTAF. The motor is a Continental C-85-12F, it has 1630hrs SMOH. It has a Warp Drive prop on it. I fixed the plane up years ago but never flew it. It has an MGL Avionics radio as well as their altimeter. The paint is about 15 years old now but hasn't seen the light of day so it is still in pretty good shape (only paint flaws are on the canopy and engine cowl, none on the structure). It has the trailer option and is loaded onto a trailer (trailer included). Please email. • Contact Jeff Mccomb , Owner - located Casco, MI 48064 United States Telephone: 5868591976 • Posted November 14, 2022 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Images

This is less than an hour away from me. It's very tempting, but I know very little about these planes. What do you guys think?

52 hrs is very low hours - the fact that it has been sitting around for 15 years would mean going thru the engine unless it was pickled… original builder?  Wing tip gear - or hoop gear?

build logs?  Air worthiness? Chain of custody?

definately get someone that is knowledgeable about these planes to do a pre buy before you dive in.  

9 hours ago, DanK said:

This is less than an hour away from me. It's very tempting, but I know very little about these planes. What do you guys think?

The FAA Registry    https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/Search/NNumberInquiry    (N3245B)  shows a 1982 build and a couple of different owners.   The registration has expired but seller McComb appears to have good title.  It could be reregistered.  Decent price, I would say but I'd like to know why it needed to be "fixed up".   I don't think you'd lose any money on it and you might double the value if you get if flying again.  I have heard the airplanes with wheels on the canard tips have less directional control on the ground but many are flying and this one has flown.  That's a good sign.  A plus that it is on a trailer and could be carted home. 

• Thanks 1

-Kent

9 hours ago, DanK said:

It is interesting, especially since it was flying. A visit is free to collect some more information and understand what the owner did to "fix it up" over the years.

A C-85 shares some parts with an O-200 (O-200s often use parts from C-85s) and is a good engine IMO. The SMOH time and sitting idle for this long means it will need to be reworked (and installed). Expect that to cost upwards of $10,000 when you're done (unless you do some yourself).

This C-85 engine is heavier (I think) than the original VW engine, so ask about the type of spar in the canard. If it's a carbon LS1, then you're good. If not, it still may be good.

52 minutes ago, Kent Ashton said:

I have heard the airplanes with wheels on the canard tips have less directional control on the ground but many are flying and this one has flown.

There have been builder improvements to the tailwheel assembly specifically to help with ground control, but yes, these types of Quickies are taildraggers and can be ground looped. The moment at the wheels is much larger than a typical gear configuration, and so Quickies are more sensitive to that. As you point out, there are bunches still flying.

1 hour ago, Kent Ashton said:

A plus that it is on a trailer and could be carted home.

That's a big plus. I would love to see pictures of that trailer.

An aftermarket purpose-built trailer was offered to trailer the Quickie to and from the airport. Taking the tail off can be a 1-person job in 15 minutes with a custom sawhorse-like holder. The tail weighs no more than 40 pounds, if that.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Also, the canopy mechanism in the pic is custom. The plans version is just a hinge at the front. I do know one other that did a similar hinge, but I don't agree that it actually adds value.

Custom Q2 Canopy.jpeg

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

This engine might be a good deal.  It could be due for an overhaul but I imagine any sound core engine is going to go for at least $8K these days.  If the cylinders are first-run, I might try to get them overhauled but I heard from a large engine-shop here in N.C. that they don't overhaul cylinders anymore--just install new ones.  However I think many shops will still overhaul them.  Cams and lifters are pretty expensive so if the seller will agree it doesn't take very long to pull a cylinder off an engine and have a look.  Maybe a look at the logs is enough.

O-360-A1A UNDAMAGED ENGINE • $10,000 • FOR SALE • O-360-A1A 2169TTSN from undamaged Beech95. Inc carb, prop governor, mags(new). Pics and scanned log. • Contact Jeff Wright , Owner - located Sharpsburg, GA 30277 United States Telephone: 470-586-9045 • Posted November 14, 2022

-Kent

Posted a couple days ago.  No pics

PREVIOUSLY FLYING LONG-EZE • $10,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • O-320 powered.Current Registration.Disassembled.No logs.Missing instruments and radios.Price OBO. • Contact Don Morris , - located Carbondale, IL 62901 United States Telephone: 6183035898 • Posted November 15, 2022

-Kent

33 minutes ago, mquinn6 said:

... faa fsdo phase flight approval for major change (to add the instruments is a sig change)..

If the plane is currently registered as claimed, that implies that the AWC is in effect. So it's an airplane, as far as the FAA is concerned, and all that's needed is a valid registration transfer and a BOS.

No DAR/FSDO inspection or flight approval is needed - an IP change is NOT a major change for an E-AB aircraft, per 14 CFR Part 21.93(a):

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/21.93

in my opinion. You can certainly be conservative if you want and do whatever THIS aircraft's OL's say you need to do in the case of a major change (maybe contact FSDO, maybe invalidate the AWC, maybe just log some stuff), but I wouldn't.

Logbook information is required per 14 CFR Part 91.417, but if it doesn't exist, that isn't going to hold anything up in any way - it just makes the plane less valuable, because you have no freaking idea what it is.

17 minutes ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

If the plane is currently registered as claimed, that implies that the AWC is in effect. So it's an airplane, as far as the FAA is concerned, and all that's needed is a valid registration transfer and a BOS.

No DAR/FSDO inspection or flight approval is needed - an IP change is NOT a major change for an E-AB aircraft, per 14 CFR Part 21.93(a):

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/21.93

in my opinion. You can certainly be conservative if you want and do whatever THIS aircraft's OL's say you need to do in the case of a major change (maybe contact FSDO, maybe invalidate the AWC, maybe just log some stuff), but I wouldn't.

Logbook information is required per 14 CFR Part 91.417, but if it doesn't exist, that isn't going to hold anything up in any way - it just makes the plane less valuable, because you have no freaking idea what it is.

I did not see the N number to look it up.  The valid registration is quite different than a valid AWC (ask me how I know this 😉 ).

Thanks for the clarification on the IP - we always treated it as “major” in the certified world.  I would put my own “work the bugs out” restrictions and documented test plan (and fresh W/b - even though could be calculated…) for this even though not required!

I would assume the plane was out of annual - so if no conditional, I would certainly get a thorough pre-buy inspection.

1 hour ago, mquinn6 said:

Thanks for the clarification on the IP - we always treated it as “major” in the certified world.  I would put my own “work the bugs out” restrictions and documented test plan (and fresh W/b - even though could be calculated…) for this even though not required!

Agree completely on the test program and W&B (actual, not math) - just no reason to get the FAA involved.

1 hour ago, mquinn6 said:

I would assume the plane was out of annual - so if no conditional, I would certainly get a thorough pre-buy inspection.

Condition Inspection (not "conditional" - it's not conditional on anything, and it's not an "annual", although the CI is required annually) or not, a PB examination is ALWAYS indicated.

The poster of the ad, Don Morris, appears to be selling the shabby Dwight Yoakem Long-EZ we saw here a while back.   https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=91774     N84DY is still registered to Michael Vendl.   Vendl and Morris both live in Murphysboro, IL near Carbondale.  Whole story is below

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 2.51.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 2.58.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 3.05.21 PM.png

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent