Sales I've seen

4 hours ago, A Bruce Hughes said:

I just weigh 160.   . . . I still have 4 lbs. lead in the extreme front.    Have an O320.  Would like to have a lighter battery but......   Get rid of the 3 blade and 6" extention for a 2 blade and 4" extention?

The passenger's compartment has a VERY heavy aluminum bar for the upper two seatbelt straps.    I need to take that out and make a composite bar?

4 lbs seems very light ballast for your weight and engine.  Post a wt & balance if you have one.  Regarding the bar: maybe you could attach the the rear shoulder straps to the mounts for the bar and use a center-strap behind the neck that pulls the shoulder straps in closer.  You have not provided enough details or pics to help much.

I doubt it the prop and extension change would make much difference but if you had the weights and stations it would be easy to make a spreadsheet.  I imagine carbon cowls would help.  My Cozy cowls are heavy as heck.

4 hours ago, Marc Zeitlin said:

From a climb and cruise performance standpoint, sure.

But the aero limits must be adjusted when flying well over design MGW (1325 lb. per the POH). Since the V/N diagram indicates that the LE is a 5G airplane at 1325 lb., and since a 1035 lb. empty weight airplane with 400 lb. of people on board and 1/2 fuel (160 lb.) weighs 1595 lb., all sorts of limitations change (G max., gust loading, landing speeds, rotation speeds, etc.).

Of course you are correct Marc but AFAIK, Rutan did not test the strength to destruction and the canard test I recall showed the canard design was much stronger than anticipated.  So the true strength is unknown.   As you know many people fly them heavy.  If the basic structure had weak points, I think we'd have seen more in-flight breakups or reports of failures.  Maybe it is just the way people fly them.  They don't generally use a lot of G at high gross weights.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

There’s a cozy mkiv project on the Facebook group. He’s asking 25k for it but he bought it from an estate and doesn’t seem very knowledgeable. Too many questions for me. I didn’t see it posted here. Sorry if I missed it and it was 

EBC7B4E4-4F0D-4DEC-A240-9159DE257A85.png

Edited by Philg

You may recall (but you probably won't) a Varieze we saw on ebay back in January     https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=81579   N67EZ

It looked squirrely.  Sold as is, seller represented it had flown but he had no airworthiness certificate.  To satisfy my curiosity I ordered the records from the FAA which came after 6 months.  Yes, it is squirrely!

What the records showed:  First registered by builder T. J. Hazelrigg as  Ver-eze, or Very-eze or Varieze N67EZ in 1975 and awarded an AWC.  Additional AWCs in '75, '78.  Ops limits given in '80.  FAA bill of sale by Hazelrigg to a couple named Snodgrass in '95.  Bill of sale from Snodgrass to Jeffrey Cundiff in Jan 2004.  Bill of sale from Cundiff to John K. Collings in Oct 2004.  Bill of sale from Collings to Tony Warnock Dec 2014.  Acquired by Richard Kaczmarek from Warnock in a trade for some Quickie stuff.  Letter from the FAA to Kaczmarek July 2020 & March/2021 saying Kaczmarek must produce bill of sale from Warnock.  [RED FLAG].  Aug '21  email from Swaid Rahn to buyer Gary Moser  saying airplane sold by Rahn to Moser as is with no paperwork.  Moser attempts to register aircraft in Sep '21.  Sale to Moser seems to have fallen through because ebay ad for the airplane posted by Rahn in Jan 2022.    Bill of sale from Kaczmarek to John Henry Perez Feb/2022 (but Kaczmarek did not have a B.ofS. from Warnock and Rahn was selling the airplane.  I'm guessing the Kaczmarek signature was faked).  Aug 2022 letter from the FAA telling Perez he must show bill of sale from Warnock to Kaczmarek to register the airplane.  Plaintive letter from Perez(?) to the FAA showing pics of the airplane saying it is the same one as owned by Kaczmarek.   Nothing further.

Current status in the Registry:  Registration expired, sale reported.

Edit: Now the only way I see to do this legally is to track down Mr. Tony J. Warnock of Mobile, AL who is in the FAA records and still kicking around and ask or pay him a small sum to sign a bill of sale to Kaczmarek.  Kaczmarek's bill of sale to  Perez is in the FAA record--actual signature or not, so that completes the chain of title to Perez.   Interesting, yes?

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

when I spoke with the FAA - they said there is no legal recourse someone could take "against" a previous owner from the chain of custody.  The only issue you would have is falsifying govt documents is a felony...  so probably do not want to get caught! https://pilot-protection-services.aopa.org/news/2015/july/27/how-to-lose-everything-you-have-worked-for

12 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Purely hypothetically, how risky would it be to provide a fake BoS from Warnock to Kaczmarek?  Does the FAA actually call each person in the chain of title to make sure it's legit?

I would never advise forging a government document!  I think that's a $25K fine.  But if Warnock was willing to sign a B.of.S (to Kaczmarek) for a small renumeration, that could work for Mr. Perez since he has a B.ofS. from Kaczmarek. 

-Kent

That (what Kent suggested) is EXACTLY what the FAA recommended me to do - go back to the last person that actually FILED the transfer - and request transfer from them directly to me.    As far as anyone that had exchanged moneys between then and now they said they have no interest in...  (of course that was for an aircraft that I choose not to transfer after all - and just part it out...)

Edited by mquinn6
clarification

Today:  N35PC

VARIEZE • $34,000 • FLY RIGHT NOW • Great flying Varieze,Low time O-200. this is your grandfathers airplane,thats why it flys so well.day vfr.this is a flying airplane not a project.N35PC-continental O-200 248 hrs SMOH. One lightspeed plasma two ignition. Terra 250 D transponder, and terra 760 com.empty weight 710 lbs. THIS AIRCRAFT has been gone through by experienced EZ builder pilot, This is a good one. • Contact Gil Hutchison , Owner - located Salem , OR 97304 United States Telephone: 503 510 2317 • Posted October 25, 2022

medium_image_1731321_1_1666719172.jpeg

-Kent

At first glance this engine seemed rather expensive for possibly overhauled(?) cylinders (pics 1,2).  The work looks good otherwise.  I recall paying $15K for a similar reman with new cylinders in 2000.  However, checkout the price from new-engine seller Air Power (pic 3).  $69K+, yikes!   And Lycoming and Vans do not show prices these days.  I have to rethink the price of our airplanes.  I don't look forward to selling an $80-$85K Cozy in these times or giving it away for $40K.  I imagine most new builders have at least $60K in their projects these days, not counting their free labor.  That's the problem in inflationary times--it's harder to judge what something is worth.  Even Wentworth, the salvage folks, do not list prices these days.  http://www.wentworthaircraft.com/engines.html

EXPERIMENTAL O360A1A • $32,500 • FOR SALE BY BUILDER • 30.0 SMOH, 0.0 IRAN, 3826.0 TT. New O360A1A crankshaft, can be setup for a constant speed prop. Case halves, rods, cam and gears sent out for inspection. All new piston rings, bearings, rod bolts & nuts, misc. hardware. Includes magnetos, o/h carburetor, starter, plugs and harness. For experimental aircraft only. Built by A&P, 1 hour engine run on test stand. Ready to ship. • Contact Ryan Carroll , Owner - located Redding, CA 96003 United States Telephone: 530-515-7106 • Posted October 27, 2022

medium_image_1774888_1_1664067693.jpeg

medium_image_1774888_2_1664067694.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 9.21.10 AM.png

-Kent

Today on FB.  Some comments are concerned about UV exposure but it looks to me like any EZ built from EZPoxy or Saf-T-Pozy which has aged indoors.  I'd guess is is OK.  Takes years to erode a bare composite.   Note that the right strake is open

Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 2.37.59 PM.png

312087273_4853114574792184_8820300633198507570_n.jpg

312057554_4853114434792198_8131758871954819585_n.jpg

-Kent

From Facebook, two Long-EZ projects, one for $10k, the other for $12k.  First one:

For Sale: I bought a tee hangar full of project aircraft from a Gentleman whose go-fast Long-Eze dreams died of age, inner ear troubles, and allergies to epoxy. I have go-slow dreams, so the two Long-Ezes are up for sale (see my other posts) and I hope to keep the Kitfox you can see in some of the pictures.
This post is for This is N84DY, Sn 542. This was a flying aircraft, that was built by Don Yoakam – apparently in Iowa in the 1990’s. He operated this off a private grass airstrip. He retired and moved to Florida, and sold the aircraft to my aforementioned predescessor in Illinois. He disassembled the plane and trailered it back to Illinois. He removed the instruments and sent them off to have their faces renewed. That’s about how far he got on the project. He says he has the logbooks and the instruments, but does not know where. You are purchasing this based on no logs or instruments. If they show up, the logs will be furnished free and the instruments will be furnished for $500. There are no radios included. Aircraft appears solid, but rough. It has multiple layers of paint, which are peeling.
This aircraft was disassembled and stored with the intent of flying again. It has not been picked over or parted out. It will include an FAA bill of sale with paper trail back to Dan Yoakam. It will also include choice of propeller (I have 3). I am not representing this aircraft as airworthy. I do not know much about it or about Long-EZEs in general. If you are interested, I would recommend you either come look in person or hire someone who knows more about it than me to do a prebuy inspection. No damage to the fiberglass under the peeling paint is noted – although I would sure check it out if I was going to buy this. Note – looks like the guy also started stripping the cowl.
There is the potential to add various steam gauges to this project. I have gauges from several aircraft. (Nothing cutting edge or modern.) Same goes for radios. If you buy the plane, we can talk prices. I can hook you up at a discount.
Aircraft is located at KMDH in Southern Illinois. I am not a composites guy. I will try to answer any questions - most likely with photos. I will also meet a person or their representative for inspection, which I highly recommend before purchase. I do not know what is a fair price for this. I am going to suggest $10K OBO. I'll leave it up here for a week before posting it other places on the internet. If you have legitimate comments on the plane or the price I have on it talk to me. If you think I'm too high, make an offer. Worst I can say is no. If you think I'm too low, buy the thing and turn a buck.

For some reason, photos aren't working for me at the moment.  Here is the description of the second Long:

Heresay is that this aircraft was begun by a pair of brothers in Ohio. No documentation except the build manual (with lots of notes in it) is available, although some MIGHT show up at a later date. (That would be a bonus – don’t count on it). You could consider this to be a time-capsule quick build kit. I would guess about 40% of the aircraft has been built, but 75% of the money has been spent. The work that has been done to date is clearly of a high quality. (Everyone who has seen this in person agrees with that statement.) Appropriate peel ply is present, and the fabric is not the typical resin rich fabric you see on most builds that were unfinished. This has been hangered for an unknown number of years in a dark, dry hangar - but I would guess for 20-25.
What you get:
· Fuselage Structure with Landing Gear. Includes new Cleveland 5 inch wheels. New brakes are included, but not shown. See pics. Tires don't appear dry-rotted, but I would check a lot closer before flying.
· Fabricated Main Spar, appears mostly ready to install.
· Wings and rudders, fabricated. Ailerons and rudders not yet cut out.
· Fabricated Canard and Elevators, not yet faired into fuselage attach point.
· New Cowl, in gell coat.
· New Canopy, still in plastic
· Misc lengths of hinges and aluminum
· New Wheel Pants, in gell coat
· Microballoons and fiberglass fabrics to finish – NO RESINS
· "New in box" resin pump set from Wicks Aircraft
· Box of new foam cores to finish strakes
· Leading edges for strakes.
· Pair of nice new gray and black upholstered seat cushions. (1 shown)
· 0-SMOH Lycoming O-290 with Mags, harness, Fuel Pump, Alternator, and engine mount. Also appears to have a set of primer lines. No logs unless they show up. No data plate found on engine.
· Appears to be new 4” prop extension.
· Gorgeous (really) prop labeled “Great American Propeller Company.” Stamped TO34BFK A3608 64x68 prop. Words do not do this art piece justice. Neither do the pics.
· New Aluminum prop spinner with backer.
· Shimmy Damper Kit for Long-EZE in box and newspaper.
· New Fiberglass Cowl Scoop
· New Fiberglass Electrical Switch panel
· Misc Box of Electric, Including breakers, switches, and at least one NAV light. (I have not cataloged the contents of this box).
Also, there is the potential to add various steam gauges at low cost. The panel is not cut out, and I am guessing that the builder will not want steam gauges, but if you do, I have the ones for this plane and for several more. Same goes for radios. If you buy the plane, we can talk prices. I can hook you up at a discount.
Aircraft "kit" is located at KMDH in Southern Illinois. I am not a composites guy. I will try to answer any questions - most likely with photos. I will also meet a person or their representative for inspection, which I highly recommend before purchase. I do not know what is a fair price for this. If the engine had logs and was an O-320, this would be laughable, but I am going to suggest $12K OBO. I'll leave it up here for a week before posting it other places on the internet. If you have legitimate comments on the kit or the price I have on it talk to me. If you think I'm too high, make an offer. Worst I can say is no. If you think I'm too low, buy the thing and turn a buck.

Pics of the two above:  First one (pics 1-3) is a hot mess.    There are much better ways to spend $10K  (or even $1K).   Second one (pic 4): Something could be done with this one and probably less work than salvaging the first one.  It's worth looking at pics of the first one to see how bad they can be.   https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10217956094893169&set=pcb.10159580722892605

313385748_10217956094853168_900807311513031497_n.jpg

313381329_10217956098333255_8302738899624747293_n.jpg

313402022_10217956101213327_5591999311898358333_n.jpg

313423378_10217955952409607_3431720327868983010_n.jpg

-Kent

I'm trying to keep it reasonable. I figure with the cost involved to finish it someone would have a good value. I believe everything is there with the exception of an engine, instruments and paint. I have a new Hal Hunt exhaust, a Steve's gascolator, two prop extensions and a prop included also.

Today's B-stormers.  No pics.

COZY III • FOR SALE • Cosy Classic project. Lots of parts. 80% done, 80% to go. Asking $7,500. • Contact Spencer Boesch , End User - located South Bend, IN 46614 United States Telephone: 5748507726 • Posted October 31, 2022

-Kent

Nice looking (to my untrained eye) Cozy III:

Walkaround video:

https://youtu.be/gtiLv-BTzSw

COZY 3 • $60,000 • SALE PENDING • Search videos “Cozy N83MT for sale” for details. May trade for Highlander (project). • Contact Mike Toomey , Owner - located Newark, OH 43055 United States  Telephone: 740-975-2272 • Posted October 25, 2022

Edited by thseng

On 1/31/2022 at 1:59 PM, zolotiyeruki said:

Good morning. You are reposting an ad that I had for my velocity a long time ago, 6 or 8 months back..  No big deal and I'm grateful for the post but would you mind to delete my phone number out of it?  I get calls weekly from this.  Would be super appreciated. Thanks a ton! 803 number you posted.

[EDIT from Kent:  Thanks.  Your personal info was removed and I marked the airplane SOLD.  Congrats! ]

Edited by Kent Ashton