Rough River 2008

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure am glad i am no longer involved in this bickering

but here is the rest of the story.

A FULL accounting of last years money has always been available, to any who asked, except Nick! He asked not for an accounting, he asked for the money. If you remember the meeting saturday night - he also took credit for the lunch as he did in his various emails to various groups.

The lunch last year was a PIA to get volunteers for, TWO people volunteered for potato salad, one I volunteered because i had done him a rather large favor and i felt him bringing some potato salad was a 2% payback for my favor - he complained incessantly and tried to cancel many times.

The other person also tried to cancel on bringing the potato salad.

I new we would run out of salads cause only two volunteered but I did not feel i should contribute any more as i was already bringing kowality dawgs for 150, 15 or 20 lbs lbs of home made tuna salad (not store bought like both potato salads were) donuts, coffee. and much much more - 1/2 of a large pickup bed.

MMMM, i also stopped on the way for a 100 dollar beer run cause those already at RR called me, course when i got there they were happy to drink it, but no one popped with a nickel!

All together i spent about 250 to 300 bucks, without the beer run.

this year was going to be different. EVERY penny of the collections is still in the wad that i got it in in my closet, except for maybe the pop money that i reimbursed the pop guy for.

The effort and aggravation on trying to get volunteers was not worth it and i was just going to do it. The money in the closet was going to fund it.

Because of circumstances beyond my control, i cannot make it this year and no one with a vehicle that can haul the load has appeared. Greg and doug have volunteered again.

SO, it looks like the lunch is cancelled until next year. Maybe someone will step up, doubt it.

Enjoy your bickering and stories of what you think happened, i won't be reading them.

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

"THE BIG COMMUNITY LUNCH".

Everybody bring your own friggin' ham sandwich,chips, and a sixpack of Fresca or suds, and lets bury this dead dog of an idea.:irked:

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Without getting into the pros and cons of this way of providing food, and realizing that sharing a common meal builds community, and also realizing that I won't be there this year, I remember in my Dragonfly days, that we had a "chuckwagon" type affair arrive which sold burgers, dogs, sloppy joes, and friggen' ham sandwiches, as well as drinks, desserts etc. for those who didn't want to tote their own. I think that it worked out well for the wagoneers as well as the participants.

Just a suggestion with no attachment as to whether it is acted upon or not!:cool:

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

I personally don't think this "eating a community lunch" builds community. Why do we attach such things to eating? Eating is eating. Grab a few of your friends that you have a RELATIONSHIP with and eat your sack lunch together on the grass. You dont need tables. a tent, clowns and balloons. This providing for Community eating thing has brought nothing but harsh feelings. I know STeve Harmons 50 pounds worth of "NOT HOME MADE potato salad" [how would you bring it on Delta Airlines] just didn't cut it for some.[but he paid the local RR deli an arm and a leg to custom make it overnight for the event] Everybody drank dust's beer and didnt pay him. Aye, aye, aye. ad infinitum. Everybody got in a stew about last year. If you want to preserve, or foster community...hire a roach coach to show up for those who are unable to bring their food. As an aside, all the other meals at RR [other than that lunch] seemed just fine, camaraderie wise, wherever anybody ate them, with or without the 'community lunch'...

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I won't be there. But a thought could be to have it catered. Send your money by a cut-off date. Have someone order for the amount of people paid. Post the exact names that are paid up. If you aren't on the list, bring your own food, if you think you paid, bring a copy of the cancelled check or the paypal receipt. This way everyone eats the community same stuff, the local grub businesses like us more because they are making money, and no one has to figure out how to bring 50lbs of salad on a commercial flight. If people need community togetherness, meet at the Keg.

Chrissi [you are a wimp!:rolleyes: ] Marc, Jason and I braved that local Pizzatorium, and we lived to tell the tale. Only upshot was I grew some more hair on my chest due to it, I think.:o

Whoaa, maybe THATS why you don't wanna eat there!!:D

Self confessed Wingnut.

The pizza?

I've had worse.

It's the company that counts..... And the beer.

(Ahhh yes. I remember it well. My first RR. Finding out it was a dry county. AND DRIVING 31 MILES FOR BEER!!!!:eek: Still a record in my personal log.)

Those were the days......

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

Maybe thats why I cling dearly to my rum, please stop the pain... oh thats right; the pain was from the angelic children singing karoke in the pizza joint.

OK T-Man, no damn fair bringing your own pukeface smiley, either you bring enough pukeface for everybody or nobody gets one! -You hear me?

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

My chest hairs really doubled after that pizza. But no backhair thankfully. Anybody with a son nearing puberty, should order that pizza...probably would help his squeaky voice transition as well.

In case you want to make the pilgrimage..It's called "The Worlds Best Pizza" and it's south of RR only a mile or two on the east side of the highway. Despite all the nay saying...and Marc's past laborious post vilifying the establishment I highly recommend it. It's motto on the back of the cooks tee-shirts is, "It'll put hair on your chest"...I am living proof. In retrospect I am glad my wife did not attend RR last year.

Aileron.

Self confessed Wingnut.

An update from Nick and what he's doing on his side:

Ed,

We DO have the tent reserved for the weekend. I will make sure it is

set up again. I also got a menu selection from RR with options for

food (if no one steps up to the plate). Please let others (the other

sites you monitor) know this information.

Thanks, and I'll see you at RR.

Nick

--Ed Savage

Cozy Mark IV #1032

(Ahhh yes. I remember it well. My first RR. Finding out it was a dry county. AND DRIVING 31 MILES FOR BEER!!!!:eek: Still a record in my personal log.)

Did I mention That was ONE WAY!!.... With the Cozy Girrrls in tow?

(The horror.... The horror....:D)

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

One of the reasons I go to RR (not the only reason though :rolleyes: ) is the communal food fest. I can see canards locally, and save 2800 miles of expensive fuel.

I've only been to RR twice, and can see how it could [did] escalate from a few water dawgs to a totally grand affair.

There's funds in the kitty. The Concours has maximum haulage capacity (3-12 packs in each saddle bag, a dozen eggs for AM eats, and the tail trunk is still empty. Don't ask). So buying several pounds of sliced deli meats and cheeses locally, and a few loaves of bread for the food fest is a fairly simple act, and well within the capabilities of the Greatest Touring Motorcycle Ever Made (cough). The 'tradition' would continue without much pain.

Eat, don't eat. Feed the kitty, or not, I don't care.

Those that have the desire could double up on any sodas or bottled water they'd be bringing for themselves. Or not.

Thoughts?

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

This will be my first RR and the first trip for the Long. Apart from the obvious things I should bring, coffee, tent, sleeping bag, camera, water (notice I put my list in order of priority). Are there any other absolute musts? How difficult is food to obtain in the park? It will be just myself so I do have the back seat to pack.

The lodge has a restaurant that takes about 5 minutes to walk to the food is pretty good and the prices are not to bad. there is convenience store about 1 mile off field that has junk food. The world famous pizza place which I have missed out on is close. Make sure you bring extra fuel to give all of us builders rides there is no fuel on the field. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

This will be my first RR and the first trip for the Long. Apart from the obvious things I should bring, coffee, tent, sleeping bag, camera, water (notice I put my list in order of priority). Are there any other absolute musts? How difficult is food to obtain in the park? It will be just myself so I do have the back seat to pack.

a big tarp, and dry stuff to ware. it some times rains.

Steve M. Parkins

i need to find a contact for setting up lunch.

i hate x-posting, i will be @ Louisville Kentucky on (25) Thu night and will spend the night there. then ill go to a store and get all the stuff we need for food and drink then drive down to RR.

so far this is what i know......

dust wont be there

there will be a tent set up

and neverquit is gay....

wait,wait, in good spirits

OK, nuff funning, Greg will you be there?

big Steve, where will you fly in to ? want to car pool ?

Steve M. Parkins

Hi all,

I have confirmed the tent will be available at the field (Sam ordered it) as it was last year. I'll ensure lights, and electrical are there too.

What do you'all think about setting up a meeting on Saturday night at the tent with the purpose of finding volunteers, task leaders, discussing ideas for RR 2009. It is a year off, but it is much easier to solicit ideas when we are sitting together than over the net. If we approach it as a team effort I think we could make next and future RR's much better than they already are. We have a lot of terrific people in the canard group with a wide diversity of skills who are always willing to step up and help.

Regards, Nick

Charleston, SC LongEZ, N29TM, 2400 hrs

http://www.canardzone.com/members/nickugolini/

A tarp. Good advice. As for fuel, I can always fly somewhere locally for fuel and if there happens to be someone in the back seat when I go, so be it. :)

I just returned from RR (yearly family re-union) and while I was there, my Father flew with me to get fuel. We flew about 20 miles SW to Ohio Co. (7K4). The fuel was $5.50/gal with a self-serve credit card set-up. This would make for a good dual purpose short trip with a builder or builder/flyer/wannabe to get fuel and let them see what it's like on a SHORT trip in an EZ type.

Dave Adams

Long EZ N83DT

Race 83

I just returned from RR (yearly family re-union) and while I was there, my Father flew with me to get fuel. We flew about 20 miles SW to Ohio Co. (7K4). The fuel was $5.50/gal with a self-serve credit card set-up. This would make for a good dual purpose short trip with a builder or builder/flyer/wannabe to get fuel and let them see what it's like on a SHORT trip in an EZ type.

ok,ok i guess if i have to help with fule i will. ;)

Steve M. Parkins

I will be happy to sell anyone beer since I'm driving again this year! :D

Bwahahahahahahah!!!!

The market pays what the market will beer! Moooaahahahah! :cool: How many cases do I need to bring?

It's funny, but I been going to RR for 10 years and I don't remember getting lunch for free. TANSTAFL! If you can tell me the origination of that acronym and who said it first, I will give you a free beer! First correct response only! Extra points for having actually read the book. (IE: More beer. Cliffs notes not accepted.)

All this talk about lunch and beer is making me hungry and thirsty.

I'll be drinking Mojito's while Ken Miller will be tossing back his Cranberry & Smirnoff's. So, the beer will be limited cuz I'm a rum drinker too!

O.k. here's my nickle, now I want my three cents back.