variEze with 13b?

soloflight

It might require a large shoehorn to get it in there, but, heck, why not.

I've see O-320s in VariEZs.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

If you do that much work at the back, surely a little bit of nose extension won't be trouble after all :)

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

I would guess that a 13b "installation" (everything included, radiators, ducting, alternaturs, pumps, etc, etc, etc.) would be very close to the weight of O-320 "Installation".

Maybe some of the folks who've installed 13b's can "weigh" in on this!:D

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Anyone read Al Wick's blog on rotaries? After all I've read about the advantage on non-piston engines, this makes me think twice. He puts a pretty decent argument about putting on a Subaru. I guess I never thought that a zillion other engine problems can make one do an emergency landing besides losing a piston. Might be a good alternative if you're going auto and need the space.

At any rate, for those who don't know, the people of Japan get taxed heavily for owning cars over 3 years old. You can get an excellent price on a good low time Jap motor. I picked up a Honda engine with 10K miles on it warranted for 90 days for 300 bucks. Delivered shrink wrapped from a place called American Auto Exchange (ironic). There's probably a lot more middle men out there to look up.

even better would be a Midwest 2 rotor 110 hp 114# dry. I got one.

Do you have a link to the Midwest engine? I googled for it but didn't find anything.

Else, can you tell us more about the Midwest engine please?

Thanks

WileEZ

"All of my ideas are suspect until proven otherwise!"

Do you have a link to the Midwest engine? I googled for it but didn't find anything.

Else, can you tell us more about the Midwest engine please?

Thanks

Midwest engines (england) was bought by diamond who closed the company about 3 years ago.

The engine was originally manufactured by Norton for their racing bikes and London police bikes. Midwest took that engine, made a neat PRSU and avaition mount, and got the single rotor variation certified. (They are, I believe, now re marketing this 1 rotor unit under a different name. It probably uses the same parts) They were in the process of getting the twin rotor (the one I have) certified when they closed the company.

It is a dual rotor, EFI and electronic ignition unit of 110HP. It has a dry sump which uses a reservoir of oil which both lubricates the bearings, lubricates the trochoids and cools the rotors. It is a very compact engine, about 10" in diameter and about 2.5' in length. The engine is all aluminum with special coatings for the internals of the trochoids.

If you are interested in more info, contact me with a pm or by e-mail

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

hello argoldman, you would not by chance be interested in selling the engine?? I was looking for a midwest to put into my Varieze.

By the way diamond was bought midwest and they are making a single rotor with 50hp and 25kg (somehow expensive the want 13000€) end of the year they will have a 75hp single rotor.

wolf.

Cosy Classic flying (ex LX-ACE)

Varieze N39JC rebuilding

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

I’m also thinking about a 13B for my VeriEze and I’d like to know what you all think.

This is what I know:

VariEze maximum engine and accessory weight: 215lb

VariEze maximum allowable power 125hp

According to the owner’s manual

So… to fit an O-320 (300lbs) or 13B (similar lbs) it will require a lot of structural modifications, I Guess.

Please correct me in anything I’m wrong.

But to address these issues I got this idea:

Not using a Gear Reduction Drive will reduce the weight and setting the engine for 100 to 125hp will result in less rpm.

I’ve been talking to Tracy Crook about this and he said that there shouldn’t be any problem, and that the rpm goal for that power would be around 3300rpm.

If anyone has any leads for a 3300rpm prop, let me know.

And if anyone knows if somebody already did these please let me know too.

Thanks a lot

Luis

Luis,

The rotary is not designed to have a prop bolted to the e-shaft. The e-shaft thrust bearings won't last long. You will need to isolate the prop thrust loads to different bearings much the same way Tracy's PSRU isolates the input shaft from the e-shaft.

If you look around the web for "13b torque curve" you'll find 3300 RPM generates about 80HP on a 13b. That would be a lot of weight for 80HP.

I'm not trying to discourage your creative flow. Just be sure to get all the information before you spend real money. Maybe a good, used 0-200 or perhaps a Rotax 914 is in order.

NeilK

Would a VariEze be a good canidate for a 13b rotary engine?

The rotary idea sounds so great but when you start trying to figure out radiators, exhausts (the engine demands a heavy, well-built exhaust), custom intakes that will fit in your cowl, etc . . . well, do you want to fly or fabricate?

And it ain't like you've got a forgiving land-anywhere-in-500-feet airframe to put it in.

Nope, bit too "experimental" for my taste.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

You really need to pose the question to the Fly Rotary group if you want a qualified response.

Perry ran a ducted fan direct drive for years but later opted for the PSRU approach with a regular prop.

Another lightweight option may be a 16X rotary with a turbo for around 120 hp.

Target your question and submit it to www.flyrotary.com as that is where your answers live.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Agreed. Go to the Fly Rotary list. What a great and helpful group with very specific solutions or at least solid direction.

I do believe the ducted fan rotary was a Long. I have a friend here in Houston that has a flying rotary on a LEZ, but I think this question is for a Vari-ez. If I understand correclty, that would make a pretty big difference.

Regretably, the guy with the flying rotary LEZ is in Iraq for a while as a civilian contractor. He got the rotary flying on a purchased Long in very short order and flew off the 40 very quickly just before he left.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Thank you guys

I think I should head my quest somewhere else. Some people are optimistic about it but I’ll be getting myself in a very complex development, it would be like trying to fit a V8 in a Ford Focus :ROTFLMAO: or harder than that.

The 13B is a great affordable, technologically advanced option for larger airplanes.:thumbsup:

Thank you guys

I think I should head my quest somewhere else. Some people are optimistic about it but I’ll be getting myself in a very complex development, it would be like trying to fit a V8 in a Ford Focus :ROTFLMAO: or harder than that.

The 13B is a great affordable, technologically advanced option for larger airplanes.:thumbsup:

Maybe you should think of a Midwest Rotary (based on the Norton rotary) EFI and ignition, AE110R (about 110 hp) @ 115 Lbs striped. I had one in my dragonfly. It seems an almost perfect fit for the VE.

although Diamond has shed the company, I have heard that parts, etc are available.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with a guy selling his 13b project awhile back up in Illinois I think. Looked to be a nice installation, and I might've bought it if it wasn't so far from me in California. Rotary makes sense in many ways for aircraft, but also generate unease due to thir RELATIVE newness... consider how many total hours we've tested piston technology vs. rotary in the past century.