Epoxy Mixing

Cozy1200

How long to you mix your epoxy  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How long to you mix your epoxy

Time for another poll.

I think I read some someones website that they only stirred the epoxy for 30 seconds or so.

I curious how long everyone mixes their epoxy.

So far I've stuck to the 2 minutes suggestion. At about a minute I can tell from the consistency that it appears ready to use.

So how long are you mixing your epoxy?

I'm using MGS 285 and mixing for 2 minutes.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Drew,

If you look at the MGS you can see that it is not mixed, streaks etc, also scrape sides and bottom of the cup... there is no way 30 sec would do it. Also set each used cups on the table to check the next day.. take something sharp and do a scratch test. Save and reuse the cups too. The little bit you have left will coat the sides and the bottom ready snooth to make a new batch.

The ones you use to mix micro or flox in just scrape out what you can, smooth down the rest with a stick, leave the bottoms clean as you can and reuse them for mixing more micro or flox, we have some that the sides have 3/4" buildup on them.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

For larger batches, say, >100g, I mix 2 minutes.

I then get down to a minimum of 1 minute as the batches get smaller.

Stirring efficiency, IMO, is inversely proportional to batch size.

Chrissi's right about the "streaks" thing too.

I hate it when I'm wishy-washy.:o

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

I don't do it by time. I count strokes.

Time is not a true measure of work done anymore than it is in building a plane.

I agree here.

I use 100 strokes at a minimum. I guess this is about 1 minute. In the process I scrape the sides and along the bottom left to right several times. This gets to be a well learned process. As has been said, you can see the mix well and I just adjust when think it needs a little more. All my epoxy mix's are at 85 degrees, so the consistency is always the same.

Its funny, that it is the really small batches that I tend to concentrate on getting mixed well. I am talking when mixing a bit of flox to put a part on, or micro something small, or finishing a layup. These I tend to use the scale for. I scrape the sides and bottom more and really go after it. It seems that most of the epoxy is on the sides/bottom of the cup and need more attention to be mixed well.

Always leave the extra in the cup and cure with the part to do the scratch test later. I have a couple cups with over 1" on the bottom. Smooth as a babies ....!

Kraig

I have been saving and reusing Cups & Stir Sticks. It really takes no extra effort to save them.

When I mix micro, I tend to reach for a previous micro cup. I'll toss them out if I forgot to take the stir stick out or are half full of micro. I've been cycling through the same 10-15 cups for most the layups. I do grab a new one every so often when I've used all the epoxied covered ones. I prefer the used cups over a new one as the bottoms are perfectly smooth and easy to stir.

One issue with reusing them here in OZ. There is the strange flying ant like beast that absolutely love to commit suicide in epoxy. They love to buzz around it and eventually crawl into it and die. There are several in the bottom of the cups. There is also a few in the plane part. Most the time I'll pick the out, but occasionally miss them or they break into smaller pieces when plucked out. So I guess Australia will always be part of my plane! :)

The stir sticks get a quick wipe and left on the plastic to cure.

---

---

Brace for impact...

In my last project, I mixed every batch for 5 minutes religiously. I'd consider 2 minutes a minimum. I also spend 80% of the time scraping the sides and bottom, because the centre gets mixed in the process anyway. Somebody on another forum once compared it to saving money. If you watch your pennies (scraping the sides/bottom), the dollars (mixing the centre) will take care of themselves.

I also cut the end of the tongue depressor (stir stick) square, so it gets into the corner of the cup.

Joe Polenek

Joe

Cozy Mk IV #1550

For those that have used different brands, have you noticed a difference in miscibility?

I use West in parts I make, and Pro-Set in my limited aero parts. Both blend well. I'd be comfortable at 30 seconds... unless I was mixing a gallon!

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

I answered 'When it looks right' in the survey. The MGS hardener is blue and is real easy to see streaks and other subtle/optical differences where the two parts are not fully mixed. Guessing, I mix for a minimum of 1 minute, possibly more -- I really don't care at that point, whatever it takes to NOT see any streaks or barriers in the epoxy.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I keep the epoxy and hardener in a warm box, and I mix for 2 minutes using a kitchen timer every time, because that's what the instructions said to do.

When I make flox or micro, I save the cup for re-use by scraping it clean with the stirring stick, and then wiping it with the epoxy brush, since I almost always have one that I just used in the layup. This makes a nice, smooth finish inside the cup and it can then be used again w/o having bumps that catch the stirring stick. :cool2:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Jason and I had a laugh over this thread.

I think its telling of the quality of honesty in this group, with all the men, pontificating about how 2 minutes is 'good enough'....and some say 30 seconds is plenty. Then theres the 5 minute guy whooo,wwhooo!..and Tman takes the cake...

Thanks for the laugh, Jason.

As per William Shatners signature old commercial...

"Bust-a moooove".

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

One issue with reusing them here in OZ. There is the strange flying ant like beast that absolutely love to commit suicide in epoxy. They love to buzz around it and eventually crawl into it and die. There are several in the bottom of the cups. There is also a few in the plane part. Most the time I'll pick the out, but occasionally miss them or they break into smaller pieces when plucked out. So I guess Australia will always be part of my plane! :)

Do that with some mosquitoes and someday they will extract the DNA from this insect encased in this odd blue rock. Then they will make a park on an island and fill it with long extinct humans. :D

Jason and I had a laugh over this thread.

I think its telling of the quality of honesty in this group, with all the men, pontificating about how 2 minutes is 'good enough'....and some say 30 seconds is plenty. Then theres the 5 minute guy whooo,wwhooo!..and Tman takes the cake...

Thanks for the laugh, Jason.

As per William Shatners signature old commercial...

"Bust-a moooove".

Soooo...what are you building, and what is your experience with mixing epoxy? I'm missing the humor that you seem to have found.

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Jason and I had a laugh over this thread...

(cough..) I was gonna mention I use popsicle sticks... but thought otherwise ;)

Still can't imagine squaring it off first... :scared:

Rick

Need we draw a correlation between the male sense of time and the size of the fish that got away? :P

Did I mention that I make only HUGE batches of epoxy and it takes a long time to GO OFF!.

I never expected this thread to become so perverted. :)

I won't mention that in OZ, Popsicle are called icy poles. So I won't say I'm using Icy Pole Sticks. I'll deny that and say I'm using tongue depressors.

---

---

Brace for impact...

Soooo...what are you building, and what is your experience with mixing epoxy? I'm missing the humor that you seem to have found.

Whaaaat am I builddding!?

I'm building a large lawn ornament.

...been doing it for 2-1/2 years..and dang, what more can I say. I am a poser! You got me.

Poser alertttttt!!!!!

Nobody remembers some of the humor from the old forum....I know Chrissi has her fingers in her ears! nawnaww, Na na Naww nayaw,,,Nee ne naw.

You had you be there a few years ago.=] you are right makes no sense now.:rolleyes: Kind of like an old SNL rerun.;)

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

It's not the size of the stick that matters... :ROTFLMAO:

80% in the corners and sides, 20% in the middle. :P

On a lighter note, UPS delivered a box from Wicks tonight :D . Mostly what I ordered :sad:

So I cuts up two sheets of 18lb lastafoam, make me pieces for F-22 and the doubler. 5-Minute epoxy takes *forever* to harden, it's been almost four minutes since I glued the pieces together (don't they make faster glue :confused: ).

I'm using a matchstick to mix with BTW, is that important?

Rick

(don't they make faster glue :confused: ).

Actually they do, http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/fourmINUTEePOXY.php but I'm pretty sure that wasn't a question!

That's what Edge used on his lawn ornament, but he's pretty quick, just ask his........ohhh you don't really think I'd finish that!

Since this thread has nothing to do with building airplanes anymore..........

Regards,

Jason T Heath

MarkIV #1418

heathjasont@yahoo.com

I wish my "Lawn ornament" Was as far along as mr. edge13"s is Yes I mix my epoxy until it looks good. I am using ez 84 so it is really ez to see when it is done. If I took 5 minutes for every cup I made My last 8 hour spar cap layup would have taken 12 hours ez. Ps. Get your mind off body parts and get back in the shop and build the lawn ornament. STeve:D

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21