Roll call: Open-EZ builders?

Jon Matcho

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So I've started with Open Long EZ, I bought the Terf CD and printed out the builder's manual on 11x17 and had staples comb bind the manual into two books. I have a large format printer so I was able to print the full size drawing out by changing the % ratio until the dimension's came out right on the patterns.

I have a plotter so, I plotted the templates and I'm ready with that, Been reading the CP's getting the updates (there's allot of reading) I've been printing out the Long EZ updates and adding them to my notes.

I also have the materials to build chapter 4 and collecting chapter 5, No epoxy as of yet, I'm going to start off with the MGS 285 but change over to Areopoxy when the weather warms up (I'm going to start building in my garage which is under my house and move out to the building I built for this project in the spring).

I just need to get a ratio pump and few other necessities and ready! I'll post some pic's as I go.

Roland

So I've started with Open Long EZ

Nice to hear:) I won't start till summer 2008:sad:

R u going to make some speed:D mods like : 360 engine, split canopy, no lower winglets, streched nose, retract main gear ?

Have u seen this long ez ? Really fast and looks nice as well. One of the best which I've ever seen.

http://www.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

• 2 weeks later...

My First post here. I'm 19 and have to go through college yet (Sault College: aviation) I plan on building a long ez someday, in fact i've mentally committed myself to it (only way) What i would like to modify in my ez are a fair amount of the Berkut mods and a Deltahawk diesel liquid cooled engine. I just wish there was an Open-Berkut design (hint hint ;) ) i may also do some other minor design changes with the help of my father (engineer :scared: ) has anyone done a glass cockpit in an EZ?

Mostly just dreaming here, but keep up the good work i really appreciate that you guys are keeping these cool (and effecient) designs going.:D

Thank you

David

My First post here. I'm 19 and have to go through college yet (Sault College: aviation) I plan on building a long ez someday, in fact i've mentally committed myself to it (only way)

Excellent time in your life to think about this stuff. Speaking for the group, we're all jealous.

I just wish there was an Open-Berkut design (hint hint ;) )

Hmmm... maybe you could make that your senior project!

Welcome to the club!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 1 month later...

I got a bug in me today and went down to the local print shop and printed the 14 24x18 sheets out.

Looking at the full size drawings put a monkey on my back so to speak. I will be getting the turf-cd soon.

But first finish getting my ppl. Hopefully that will be by the end of the month.

Then fly, build, fly, build etc...

I just wish there was an Open-Berkut design (hint hint ;) )

There is sombody working on somthing along those lines ;)

albeit slowly at the moment im afraid

as the plans and cd are still being sold and almost certainly copyrighted i would never be able to redist them so it would involve a complete re write

i have all the berkut plans and the build cd

however as the build manual was written for the kit form to include the premade parts there is some work to do to fill in the gaps ect

• 1 month later...

Might aswell throw in my 2cents.

I have been following this project for a while now. Love the idea that some people want to bring back the Long-EZ. I definately want to build an experimental aircraft. Still deciding on the aircraft... down to Cozy IV & Open-EZ

There are 2 things that do concern me as a builder:

1) How do i know i just downloaded a complete set of plans? is it the latest version?

I am a very young pilot... I will complete my licence in a week or 2. Plus i have never seen a Long-EZ plans or the actual aircraft built from them. (Heading to Oshkosh '07 to fix that :) ). Would be nice to have some kind of an official community release.

2) Diagram Sizing issues

Can someone put this one to rest? I dont get a good feeling of the idea of building an airplane that off by a few inches here and there.

I think the dedication of the members in this community is nothing short of amazing, Keep up the great work.

Hello and welcome!

1) How do i know i just downloaded a complete set of plans? is it the latest version?

The download link at the first post in the main Open-EZ thread will always take you to the most recent files.

Plus i have never seen a Long-EZ plans or the actual aircraft built from them. (Heading to Oshkosh '07 to fix that :) ).

You'll that and more from OSH (with the exception of the Long-EZ plans).

Would be nice to have some kind of an official community release.

This is as good as it gets... "unofficial".

2) Diagram Sizing issues

Can someone put this one to rest?

Read the Open-EZ posts and you should see this topic is at rest, but that's up to you to decide.

I dont get a good feeling of the idea of building an airplane that off by a few inches here and there.

Where has it ever been said "off by a few inches"? That would be unacceptable, and a good thing that's not the case! :confused:

2) Diagram Sizing issues

Can someone put this one to rest? I dont get a good feeling of the idea of building an airplane that off by a few inches here and there.

ME TOO!:scared: :scared:

During my construction, I found all my measurements were within the plans specifications.

Are you located in Canada?

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

OttawaFlyer;

BEFORE YOU START BUILDING.

Check with your equilivant of the FAA. You need to find out when they want to perform their pre-close inspections, and how to register your plane.

The rules in Canada are significantly different than here in the US.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm here is Houston trying to collect all my info to get this project going. I lost countless bids on ebay trying to get long-ez plans and this place was a true gift when I found it. My templates are at Kinkos and my terf CD is on the way. I just sent a check off to Rutan for rudder and canard plans but from what I have read here I will be getting nothing but my check back. Anyone want to sell or share some ? Anyone hear of some alternative engines for this thing....I'm thinking maybe subaru or raven redrive 1300. Anyone around the Houston area should shoot me an e-mail...we can mix ideas.

xanman

I'm still interested in building one. I printed the templates at Kinkos and have measuring discrepancies. The measuring tick marks on the page margins are often not to the scale they claim. A couple of them were 1" off, with others being within 1/8".... But when I put the the drawings together, everything fits just fine.

I have exactly the same problem..to me it looks like the plans are just fine and I'm going to get on with using the plans as they are..

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANKS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE OPEN-EZ PROJECT COME TO LIFE...YOUR TIME GIVEN IS BEING PUT TO GOOD USE.

XANMAN

A couple of them were 1" off, with others being within 1/8"....

I have exactly the same problem..to me it looks like the plans are just fine and I'm going to get on with using the plans as they are.

I am going to re-verify the files and possibly redo them as part of the upcoming Open-EZ 2007 CD update. The "1-inch issue" is likely from measuring 1-inch OFF on purpose. The 1/8" issue is likely a non-issue, but again, I will re-verify (mainly to make the verification marks consistent on ALL drawings).

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANKS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE OPEN-EZ PROJECT COME TO LIFE...YOUR TIME GIVEN IS BEING PUT TO GOOD USE.

Glad to hear, and you're very welcome. But there's NO YELLING HERE. ;)

Enjoy!

I started looking at the Cozy MKIV, but really wanted a Long-EZ.

I have been lurking here for the past few weeks trying to learn all I can.

I downloaded the v5 templates and looked them over.

I have decided to get started on the Open-EZ.

I haven't ordered the TERF CD yet, but I understand that the Canard Pusher newletters for plans updates are on the CD.

All of the CP newsletters I have seen on the web are text only and have the photos/drawings omitted.

Does the TERF CD include the photos and drawings like the originals?

It seems I need to find the Roncz canard plans somewhere.

I will send RAF an order and see what happens.

Do I also need to order the flush bellhorns, large rudder & speed brake plans?

I have been lurking here as a guest for the last few weeks reading everything I can on Long-EZ's and the Open_EZ project.

I want to start on the Open-EZ asap.

I downloaded the templates and looked them over.

I will burn them to a CD and take to Kinkos and order the Terf CD next.

I know the Terf CD contains the CP newsletters and I will need updates from 24-82, but does the Terf CD include the photos/drawings?

Every CP newsletter I have ever downloaded from various sites have had the photos/drawings omitted - why?

I started out looking at the Open-EZ project as a way to get into a Long-EZ.

However, I have since picked up a set of Long-EZ plans with the A1 thru A14 templates on ebay.

Can I still build this as a Long-EZ or does it really matter?

The section I plans are March 1980 First Edition and have a #31xx in the lower right corner(gray cover).

This same number (#31xx) is on the Section II L plans also - First Edition January 1981(also gray cover).

I did get some extras -

1. Moldless Composite Homebuilt Sandwich Aircraft Construction - 3rd Edition September 1983 (yellow cover)

2. Optional Special Performance Canard Plans(pages A,B,C, and C-1 thru C-6)

3. High Performance Rudders(Optional) - pages R1 thru R4

4. Brake plans - page "TWO" and V-Eze Landing Brake pages A1 thru A3

I do have a few questions -

1. Obviously I am missing page "ONE" from the landing brake plans.

Where can I get this missing page?

2. Does the rest of this sound complete?

3. There are notes throughout the Section I plans that reference "LPC # xx" - ie. on page 2-1 (Bill of Materials) there is a note under Tools

"LPC #15 1 1/16 or 1/8 24' x 48"

What is the "LPC # " referring to?

These notes seem to have been written on the plans as corrections prior to printing and not someone updating the plans after the printing.

(I know I have to update the plans with the Canard Pusher newsletters 24 - thru 82).

My next steps will be to join a local EAA chapter for some help.

I am concerned about Minnesota winters - no heat in garage build area.

I would appreciate any guidance.

I saw a photo of another build manual this morning and now I think the plans I bought may be copies.

I don't see any of the copyright text on the cover of the Section I or II manuals.

From my earlier description can anyone confirm this?

Why would a four digit number (#31xx) be written on the lower left corner of both manuals?

I dont have orignal plans so I cant help you with that number but.

First question is how much did u pay for these plans because nobody sells original for less then 800-1000$

Second 20 years old plans should look like 20 years old ones not like 1 year old or something.

Could you give us a link to that auction?

I saw few weeks ago "complete set" on ebay for about 250$ they were copies for sure I was going to write pm to the highest bidder but finally I said myself that's not my business.( if someone is going to pay 250$ for something which u can download for free here that's not my problem)

I hope you bought other set.

btw "I don't see any of the copyright text on the cover " maybe someone build long ez from these plans or was going to. Just a thought

Do u have page 1-4?

If not read this.

"Licence Agreement/Serial Number/Disclaimer

Many people buy aircraft plans without the specific intent to build an airplane. If you definitely plan to build a Long-ez from these plans, fill out and sign the licence agreement (both copies) in the box below, clip them out, and mail to RAF. We will then assign a serial nubmer to your aircraft, and mail copy one back to you. Refer to this serial number when contacting us for any assistance on your project. Builder support is provided only to those holding this licence to build a Long-ez. Use this serial number when registering your aircraft with the FAA."

If you do not have this page maybe that mean someone else used your plans to build Long-Ez maybe not. I think maybe you should send pm to Jon, Waiter they have a lot off knowledge about this. Because here in europe we dont need? any numbers or FAA, RAF support.

Anyway all the best.

btw I heard that RAF doesnt support builders any more.