Roll call: Open-EZ builders?

Jon Matcho

I plan on building once the question of the templates is settled. I'll also need to TERF CD, and the garage cleaned out, but I'm getting there.

Honestly, there are hundreds and hundreds of these planes that are flying safely that were built from the wonky templates. There's enough of a fudge factor built in that the errors aren't a big problem. I'm extrememly anal about these things though, so I'm trying to make it just perfect, which is something of a herculean task. You don't have to wait for the templates to be perfect. Go ahead and get the CDs and clean the garage and start building. Your plane will be fine. :) :)

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tbh im gonna hazard a guess here and say that most of the people sitting about moaning about the templates not lining up probably dont have a terf CD yet either

my just recently arrived and theres plenty to be getting on with and lots of reading involved

Honestly, there are hundreds and hundreds of these planes that are flying safely that were built from the wonky templates.

Furthermore, until us 'geeks' came along, the drawings were never before considered to be "wonky".

I'm extrememly anal about these things though, so I'm trying to make it just perfect, which is something of a herculean task. You don't have to wait for the templates to be perfect.

They're never going to be perfect. How does anyone know the proper dimensions and curvatures anyway? We know the A1/A2 union is off, BUT why aren't both sheets off? One sheet must be okay. Given that, how can anyone say that there's anything wrong with the airfoil drawings? The worst thing that could be done to them might actually be to "fix" them by stretching, etc.

Go ahead and get the CDs and clean the garage and start building. Your plane will be fine. :) :)

Now there's some good advice! Don't wait for anything... start building now IF you really want to build an Open-EZ. You'll find out soon enough what's required for "perfection".

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Hey,

Just my 2 cents here. I layed out a centerline on my jig table and pull all my measurements from this reference. After the parts started to come together, I transfered this line as well as a permanent level line to the fuselage. I'm not as anal as some on here but if you have a good reference point, you can build anything straight and true. The templates get you close and the line gets you on the money! I've built race cars, street rods to dune buggys this way and it works. All your race car chasis builders work this way. Try it! The main thing is get started and build it. You can go to my site for tips on how to build a table and its free. http://www.free-build-it-info.com/Surfaceplate.html

Press on

Tom: thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"Time flys when your building"

I am posing as one who is in the early stages of building an Open EZ, although when I am finished it may be a texas canard. LOL

a) Anyone building an Open-EZ? I am in the beginning stages.

b) Anyone planning/intending to? I am intending to build.

c) Do you think we should continue? Definently, yes continue. I need help, all I can get. LOL

d) Any ideas for what to add? A neighbor also building one? LOL well a long nose and mabye an alternate panel for those wanting a "garmin" type setup.

S. Williams

Houston, TX

Still intending to build,but its a couple of years off yet(retirement).A new house with a double garage is on the horizon too.Ihave the terf cd now,and have had the pdf files printed at my local print shop.I have checked them all for alignment,and they all check ok.

I had a meeting with Glen Waters about my future build,and he gave me alot of good info regarding sourceing parts here in England.

Keep the Open-EZ going.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to start a Cozy in the spring (impending family reasons), but I definately want to build an Open-EZ at some point after that... so Keep up the good work! Really appreciate the effort that you folks are putting into this project.

Thanks

(FEP) First Ever Post:

Greetings everyone!

And JON, a most appreciative Thank You to you sir!

I also down-loaded the OPEN EZ templates. Have them down at KINKOS waiting for me to pick up right now. Need to hurry, even though KINKO’S is a 24/7 op (even on Thanks Giving), I’d prefer to time stamp the pickup before 9pm PST, 2400 EST. Don’t want to buy anything related to a machine I hope to strap-into at some point, on Turkey Day! That first CC swipe later on this evening will bench-mark day 0001 in the process of my first build, something I’ve had on the-list for the better part of 30 years. As far as the start date of construction? Not sure if it will be a Balls-6, or a Balls-7 bird (2007). If I wait to get started, the target date will be on Jan 01, 2007. I know for sure I’ll have that day free of all distractions. Now-till-then, I’ll get things together and knowledge-up for a smooth start.

Good Luck Everyone..

And Happy Thanks Giving

Airspeed is Life -

:cool: - Having lots of it

is Better!

Jon,

Thanks again for the OPEN EZ project and the friendly note the other day. The more time I spend in the Canard Zone, the more I’m coming to appreciate the high-caliber company we’re all keeping.

Test Post

Airspeed is Life -

is Better!

Okay, Looks like my posts are posting.

Hello Everyone,
My first few attempts at posting in here seem to have went off in a different direction, Jon fixed the NAV system for me and well, here I am.
For me, the OPEN EZ project is under way: Templates printed at Kinkos dead-on vertical, w/in an 1/8” horizontal. They look very good. A second set has been ordered ($69+-) with assurance from the tech he would produce copies to scale precisely to the dimension ticks noted on each page. If that proves an audited success, I’ll post the how-to and what-he-used details for anyone interested in skipping the cost of close-enough and getting right to dead-on template prints. Already got the shop cleaned out, built a 4x12 flat level (adjustable) table, although I’m considering laminating it with Formica so it has cover from Mommasan as an “Event Table”. Tools laid out for inventory and prep. Heck I even broke out a “JUST DO IT” magnet and stuck it on the refrigerator.
As soon as I'm done with this post, I’m heading over to Aircraft Spruce and Supply in Corona Ca to tip a toe in the water and get acquainted with the staff. The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to buy the plans package on the Cosy Mark IV and bring both projects up together. The information available on the Cosy must have cross over value for the OPEN and possibly suitable-substitutability on many components. This I will discover one way or the other, and of course will be happen glean anything I can from the fine group of people I’ve discovered in here.
I intend to build the Open fuse per plan for the OJT, but would very much like to build a finished bird utilizing the Berkut style RLG and nose. Anyone have any leads on proven mods along these lines?
Anyway, I’m off to start the money flow, and begin a long delayed goal in life.
Enjoy the day,
Hat

Airspeed is Life -

is Better!

Hello everybody. I've finally decided to start building the Open-EZ. I got the TERF CD and I built a 12' x 42" table in my garage. Would like to help with the templates but I would have to read "Computer for Dummies" first so I will leave it to you guys:rolleyes: Thanks for all the work your putting in to make this become a reality. Now my only concern is how I'm going to get the epoxy in Canada since it's considered a hazardous material and it seems to be a little complicated to get that trough the customs. I will have to contact either Spruce or Wicks to find out because I don't know of any Canadian distributor. If anyone building a composite aircraft in Canada could help me with that:confused: Now gotta go print those templates...:P

Alain

Alain Fugère

Welcome everyone!

Does the TERF CD contain the top view, Side View, Front view drawings?

Yes, on page 174 of the Long-EZ plans.

If not Does anyone have a decent 3-view of the EZ?

How about a 2-view? I compared the attached with the drawing in the plans and it's obviously an edit of that, but without the front-view and distance measurements.

post-386-141090154583_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

From time to time, I feel I have the time to build, and then it goes away...

At this point, however, I would like to start by doing a virtual build of an EZ type. The Open EZ project is perfect for this. The virtual build will be in 3d modelling software.

This is an educational project. From what I can tell, the plans do not lay out a complete airframe plan, as one would expect, but rather, build up piece by piece until an airframe is complete. I have a great deal of difficulty building in this way. I need to see the complete picture before I start in on the details.

Let's see what happens.

Regards

Philip

I am on the same track to build a virtual plane. For educational purpose I plan on using AutoDesk Inventor. Which will give a parametric modle with moving surfaces and components. many parts can be designed and assymbled with this software. As soon as i get the wing done I will post here.

Robert Clark

Houston, Texas

• 3 weeks later...

...a penny for your thoughts.

I have downloaded all the files. I have printed the PDFs and checked the Axis on each. They are all correct. I still need to get the Turf CD.

I have a large family. I wanted to build a Cozy MK IV but it won't hold my family. MY GIB is actually a FIB (family in back), and the GIB says she won't fly in a plane I built until I have proven I can do so safely. So I am thinking of building the OpenEZ while I examine the stretched and lengthened cozies to design and build my MK VII.

One further question... if this is a project, something dissassociated from the original EZ design, why can we not then update the PDF plans with all the newsletters etc, update the drawings some, and post the OpenEZ pdf plans bundled with the drawings? This would eliminated the need to consult newsletters and make the complete plan available and "Open" thus truly ensuring new airplanes continue to be built. If we can provide the drawings we have then the hidden bell horns, the Roncz canard, the larger rudders, everything should be able to be included. In other words... If we can have one part "Open" the whole thing should be able to be.

Here's a thought. Maybe even put them in forum format on the web. People can then upload pictures, movies, tips, and tricks, right to the forum for each chapter of the build. Now that would be cool.

I am willing to contribute to the work. I am willing to reformat and update the content if someone sends me the pdf files for the EZ plans. I am well equiped to do so. Feel free to contact me privately outside of these postings, you can do so using the member list.

Ciao for now!

So I am thinking of building the OpenEZ while I examine the stretched and lengthened cozies to design and build my MK VII.

A solid idea.

One further question... if this is a project...

It is.

...something dissassociated from the original EZ design...

The Open-EZ is based on the Long-EZ design. Consider it a clone.

...why can we not then update the PDF plans with all the newsletters etc, update the drawings some, and post the OpenEZ pdf plans bundled with the drawings? This would eliminated the need to consult newsletters and make the complete plan available and "Open" thus truly ensuring new airplanes continue to be built. If we can provide the drawings we have then the hidden bell horns, the Roncz canard, the larger rudders, everything should be able to be included. In other words... If we can have one part "Open" the whole thing should be able to be.

That is indeed what is underway for the drawings. I agree that should be done with the plans too, but represents a fair amount of work.

Here's a thought. Maybe even put them in forum format on the web. People can then upload pictures, movies, tips, and tricks, right to the forum for each chapter of the build. Now that would be cool.

Like a wiki? I've given that a bunch of thought, and have even biased some development at my full-time job towards creating software to manage such a process.

I am willing to contribute to the work. I am willing to reformat and update the content if someone sends me the pdf files for the EZ plans.

Need to be careful here, as anyone sending you the PDF files is likely sending a copy of the TERF files. AFAIK, non-TERF PDF files are NOT available (yet?). If there were, TERF would have an issue with that.

I am well equiped to do so. Feel free to contact me privately outside of these postings, you can do so using the member list.

I'm sure there's something we can do to let you help.

• 3 weeks later...

I am gearing up to build the Open-EZ hopefully by the first of the month. I do have a question though as I accumulate the necessary manuals, plans and etc.. Is there a project plan or chapter breakdown anywhere telling me what the order of constructions is. I also would like to ask members what they feel is needed in the shop to build the Open-EZ such as work table size, tools and etc.

Pat

Garage is cleaned out, and barring unforseen circumstances, I intend to begin the build come spring.

Keep your eyes open, because those circumstances will get you when you're not paying attention. Good luck!

Is there a project plan or chapter breakdown anywhere telling me what the order of constructions is.

You need to get the TERF CD (see first post in this thread), which contains the Long-EZ plans. You build through in order.

I also would like to ask members what they feel is needed in the shop to build the Open-EZ such as work table size, tools and etc.

Feel free to do so, but I would suggest starting a new thread or searching on 'shop table', or browsing through the Building sub-forum. My overkill tables are described in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Well,

I have gone back and forth over the possibility of purchasing a flying Long-EZ or RV-6A (prices are up for the Long ~$40K, down for the RV-6A ~$60K), the glorious Titan T-51 Mustang replica, a design of my own, or the Open-EZ.

Considering that time is short as I am building not one but two businesses, and that money is even shorter, I am settling on a modified Open-EZ as the best of all possible worlds.

Planned mods remain essentially the same as when I originally found the Open-EZ project last year:

- Stretched nose ala Davenport\Dave Lind\Tony

- Wright EZ Lift Nose Gear

- Strong Pitch Trim

- Infinity Retractible Mains

- 2-Tube Blue Mountain EFIS-Lite (ADI\HSI) with BMA 2-axis Autopilot

- Oversize Canopy (still side-hinged) with fixed (removable) windscreen

- 2-3" stretch between longerons laterally (top and bottom)

- Contoured side skins for fuselage

- Airfoil shaped Strakes for additional baggage and fuel

- O-320\O-360 with downdraft cooling (Waiter style if it works), MT-7 3-blade CS Prop, possible ram-air

- Removable baggage pods - 1 configurable for additional fuel

- Tall rudders and no lower winglets

- Oil Heat in nose

Already have downloads, will be getting TERF CD within next 30 days and begin planning after reading original construction manual. All fuselage mods will be documented with new CAD drawings (AutoCAD).

Still planning on VF-1 Wolfpack CAG paintjob either in original red or in tactical low-vis greys.

Need to figure out how to tell the wife........

Posted Image

Posted Image