Roll call: Open-EZ builders?

Jon Matcho

I have the templates for the nose of that "famous nose" number 32. Steve was very gracious to let me borrow his templates. My nose is almost exact to the templates. I am still contouring and shaping and hoping I can get close OR somewhat close to Steve V. nose.

post-1032-141090160407_thumb.jpeg

Tom McCormick

http://tomslongez.com

Almost done the nose section.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, yeah: I'm in.

Still need to find a plot of land, build a house & garage, convince my boss to let me telecommute a few days a week, and cleanup/sell my existing house... but I fully intend to commute via EZ before I'm 40 (2016). (Wonder what gas'll cost by then? :scared: )

Still a year or so before I do any work, set up the shop, or even order any supplies, but the bug has officially bitten me.

Many thanks to all who are blazing a trail for me and others to folllow, hope to see you in the air before too long. If you need me, I'll be lurking...

I don't care, I'm still free.

You can't take the sky from me.

• 5 months later...

As far as I am concerned, there are no issues "at large" beyond those that hundreds of EZ builders have already dealt with.

However, we do have this issue:

What drawing is 1" off? Did you have the TIFFs or the PDFs printed? I will retest at my local Kinkos if you give me the info.

Speaking of Kinkos, the local shop by me recently converted their SOP for scanning to give customers PDF files instead of TIFF files. When I asked why, the person reminded me that the TIFF file is a raw file that is subject to the device it's being printed from whereas PDF prints consistently regardless of the device.

Hi guys, would it be a good idea for the head of this project to have a series of plan printed that are all up to spec and make them available to us for purchase. I know I would like that idea. And BTW just put a big disclaimer on it... has you did for the entire project...

Regards,

I am posing as one who is in the early stages of building an Open EZ, although when I am finished it may be a texas canard. LOL

a) Anyone building an Open-EZ? I am in the beginning stages.

b) Anyone planning/intending to? I am intending to build.

c) Do you think we should continue? Definently, yes continue. I need help, all I can get. LOL

d) Any ideas for what to add? A neighbor also building one? LOL well a long nose and mabye an alternate panel for those wanting a "garmin" type setup.

S. Williams

Houston, TX

See my other post (I have a crazy idea) and we may be in a position to help one another...

Hey Fellow OpenEZ Builders!

After about 4 or 5 months of debate and kicking around of which plans I would like to build, I have opted to build an OpenEZ and just purchased the TERF CD last night!!!! :) I am really excited to get the plans and start working with the templates! I want to thank EVERYONE who has contributed to the OpenEZ project and I hope we can continue to improve our sets of templates and builder experience base with this awesome aircraft! I do not think I will be able to start the project for some time, but if I can some-how I will! I have chosen the OpenEZ for a number of reasons:

-The Legacy of performance that this aircraft has brought with it

-Fighter like cockpit that fits snugly, but allows excellent visibility and comfort

-2 seats instead of 4. This may seem counter-intuitive, but at Rough River I do not recall seeing anyone flying with more than 2 people.

-Fuel Economy. This was the main reason for me over a Cozy MKIV because I felt I would be able to fly more often due to the lower cost per flight hour and still be able to take a friend with me for $100 Hamburger. This naturally assumes a smaller engine than the MkIV :).

-People have made thoughtful modifications and the design withstands them and becomes better and better because of them. Prudent possibilities are endless.

I want to thank everyone I spoke to at Rough River who kicked me in the booty and said "GET BUILDING, BUY YOUR PLANS!".

Some modifications I am hoping to make on the OpenEZ:

-3-6 inches wider at panel and front seat bulkheads. This is actually to give me a bit more panel space with the added benefit of more "wiggle" room for my more portly frame. The Long I sat in at my local EAA chapter fit my bum perfectly, so what I want to do is use the added width to make the arm rests wider and maybe incorporate a map pocket or something if it does not interfere with the cables and such.

-Look into making the aircraft a Limo EZ. I think I need the central states newsletters for that... If anyone can point me in the correct direction before I can complete the online search that would be cool and appreciated!

-Berkut Canopy opening and roll-bar. I loved this fighter jet look and if I widen the aircraft I will need a custom canopy anywho!

-Electric nosewheel lift

-Possibly those cool removable strake baggage pods. The jury is still out on that!

-I might try to make the cockpit longer to incorporate some baggage space, but I see this as a big mod and will need to do some engineering analysis on to determine the impact of lengthening. I have a few people I can likely use a good resources for this plus my own aero knowledge.

-Incorporate the cool long nose I've seen!

-Roncz Canard

I think a number of these mods are pretty typical so hopefully there will be good resources out there! For the mods that are not typical I will need to do analysis to convince myself that they are OK and safe to do. Once again thank you all for your support so far! I may not have agreed with everything said to my questions, but I have thoughtfully considered all of your comments and I hope to join this community as a true builder soon!

-Chris

Chris Zupp

~Aircraft Designer~

Preliminary Design Sequence I: Project Endeavour

Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineer

Private Pilot

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very interested in building an Open-EZ. I currently have no space to build (I have no garage and my utility room is cramped) and would appreciate any suggestions for finding an inexpensive shop to build in (very inexpensive).

I don't intend to deviate from the plans.

Can anyone give a rough idea of the completion cost with basic VFR instruments and an O-235? I've thought about building a Cozy MK IV and I wonder what the cost difference would be.

Since today is the 7-month anniversary of the Open-EZ, what better time than now to ask a few questions:

a) Anyone building an Open-EZ?

b) Anyone planning/intending to?

c) Do you think we should continue?

d) Any ideas for what to add?

The biggest request is for full-sized drawings. After that, the suggestion box is open and waiting for your feedback.

Go ahead... a penny for your thoughts.

a) Not yet.

b) I very much want to, yes.

c) Yes, please continue!

d) At minimum it would be nice if the project included all of the information to build a clone of the Long-Ez which incorporates all of the updates from CP directly in the plans and drawings/templates. I would like to see some introductory materials to learn and practice the construction techniques. I would like to see guidelines for setting up a shop.

I'd like to see some reasonable cost breakdowns for completing the airframe.

I think it would be interesting if this project also provided a way to make a complete and consistent set of plans and drawings which incorporate common (and uncommon) mods. But this should be a lower priority than a single complete set.

cweiss:

You want to build an airplane but you don't have any money??? How are you going to fly it when you are done? I doubt if anyone builds any cheaper than I do. I chase firewood all over the country to heat my shop, ebay is my main part supplier and I make all my own metal parts. My Longeze cost about $20,000 dollars to build back in the 80's when most of the materials were half what they are now. I have over $17,000 in my Cozy IV and it is not even finished with the structure still have to build the wings and the strakes and I dont even have any thing to put in the panel. Some guys build a lot of there plane in there kitchens and living rooms so You could start tomorrow unless you are homeless and if that is a issue I dont think you are ready for plane ownership. I am not trying to discourage just let you know the reality of this hobby it takes lots of green dollars to build and own an airplane. Cost of ownership runs about $70.00 and hour. So if you can afford it jump in if you cant think about a cheaper hobby. Maybe sailing small boats thats what I did when I was broke. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

cweiss:

You want to build an airplane but you don't have any money??? How are you going to fly it when you are done? I doubt if anyone builds any cheaper than I do. I chase firewood all over the country to heat my shop, ebay is my main part supplier and I make all my own metal parts. My Longeze cost about $20,000 dollars to build back in the 80's when most of the materials were half what they are now. I have over $17,000 in my Cozy IV and it is not even finished with the structure still have to build the wings and the strakes and I dont even have any thing to put in the panel. Some guys build a lot of there plane in there kitchens and living rooms so You could start tomorrow unless you are homeless and if that is a issue I dont think you are ready for plane ownership. I am not trying to discourage just let you know the reality of this hobby it takes lots of green dollars to build and own an airplane. Cost of ownership runs about $70.00 and hour. So if you can afford it jump in if you cant think about a cheaper hobby. Maybe sailing small boats thats what I did when I was broke. STeve build on

If I were a sailor I would sail. I'm a pilot so I fly (maybe I'm a pilot because I must fly). I'm under no illusions that this is not an inexpensive hobby. Nevertheless, one should have reasonable expectations. One should be able to make a reasonable budget. There is no reason it can't be affordable. $70 an hour is about half the price I pay for the Arrow I rent. $70 an hour would be a steal for an airplane that I have access to whenever I want and that flies much faster (and looks cooler).

Using epoxies in the house doesn't seem safe to me (especially with a toddler around) but maybe I'm wrong. Advice on this would be appreciated. I wish I had a garage but I don't. How much more would your Cozy cost if you had to rent shop space? Maybe it wouldn't be feasible. With your own shop, if you run out of money for a while you can put the project on hold until you have more to continue. If you rent a shop, you would need to pay rent if you have money to build or not. For it to be feasible for me the shop needs to be very inexpensive. Maybe I would need to share space. Maybe I should build a shed. I have no idea at this point. That's why I put the question out. Maybe someone on this forum has some experience with this. I can't know unless I ask.

Maybe the Cozy IV would cost only slightly more than an Open-EZ but with the added utility maybe it would be worth the extra cost. I have no idea because I don't know how much it will cost to build.

I'm sure that there are people that don't need to take costs into account. I'm not one of them and I would guess that most builders aren't either.

You cannot do a cost-benefit analysis unless you know the costs and the benefits.

Maybe the Cozy IV would cost only slightly more than an Open-EZ but with the added utility maybe it would be worth the extra cost. I have no idea because I don't know how much it will cost to build...

take a look at the "COZY MKIV - Soup to Nuts" presentations at:

http://www.cozybuilders.org/Oshkosh_Presentations/

might help.

take a look at the "COZY MKIV - Soup to Nuts" presentations at:

http://www.cozybuilders.org/Oshkosh_Presentations/

might help.

Thanks! Very informative. By how much would you expect the construction of the OEZ airframe is less than the Cozy MK IV? It struck me that the empty weight of the Cozy, according to Nat's 2005 aerodynamics presentation (1050 lbs. - optimistic?), is very near the empty weight of the Long-EZ (which I recall reading in these forums falls somewhere around 900 - 1000 lbs). That suggests to me that the airframe cost is about the same.

That suggests to me that the airframe cost is about the same.

Uh ...... here in the US, the currency is dollars ........ not pounds. :D

Two of the biggest expenses will be the powerplant and the avionics.

The Open=EZ (Long-EZ) is EZ-r to build and I would estimate the cost would be somewhere around 70-75% of a Cozy (all things being the same.)

If you want to research this further, go to www.WicksAircraft.com and compare the kit prices for each. The chapters also feature a breakdown of parts as well.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Uh ...... here in the US, the currency is dollars ........ not pounds. :D

Very cheeky.

Two of the biggest expenses will be the powerplant and the avionics.

Granted.

The Open=EZ (Long-EZ) is EZ-r to build and I would estimate the cost would be somewhere around 70-75% of a Cozy (all things being the same.)

Thank you.

If you want to research this further, go to www.WicksAircraft.com and compare the kit prices for each. The chapters also feature a breakdown of parts as well.

Wow! That answers a good chunk of my questions. Thanks!

I'm eagerly awaiting the Open-EZ Rev. 6.

• 3 weeks later...