Roll call: Open-EZ builders?

Jon Matcho

G'day all

I just discovered an interesting problem with my copies from FedEx/Kinkos. I had several sets printed so I would have a copy to work from and a secont to use as a reference.... Today, I took my second set and was going to use them to cut a second set of templates. Two sets are needed to cut the foam. I glued the second set onto the sanded plywood and then put the first set onto the board to verify I had all the templates and discovered that the second set were as much as a 1/4" longer than the first set that I had already cut... I attribute the problem to printing errors, because I had both sets printed from the same downloaded .pdf files.

I have several questions:

1. What is the error +/- what distance for error on the templates?

2. How can I verify the templates if they are cut and the mearurements are not available?

3. Has anybody else discovered this printing problem?

4. If so how was it corrected?

The Open-EZ drawings I am using I downloaded last February (2007). I welcome any ideas.

I have not started cutting foam. The foam is being delivered on Friday, Dec. 29.

Thank you in advance;

Jeff :o

I think that if you ensure that the page scaling options are set correctly that you might solve the problem. For instance if you chose to scale the document to fit the page, the image could be enlarged or reduced. If I am not mistaken the print settings should be set to "no pages scaling".

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day all

2. How can I verify the templates if they are cut and the mearurements are not available?

Thank you in advance;

Jeff :o

Jeff,

Do you still have the rest of the A0 paper you cut the templates from ? If so, check the verification dimensions on the edge of the paper for discrepancies.

You are looking for fractional differences, don't stress if you come across a couple that are a whole inch out as Jon had a couple of dyslexic moments when he was adding the verification dimensions.

Sorry, I think you are asking how to prove the templates if the verification dimensions are not available ? I guess the only other option is to compare chord line dimensions. Which of your templates do you not have the verification dimensions available for? I am sure somebody can run a ruler over their prints.

Pete

G'day

Pete_A and mfryer, I want to thank you for your quick replies.

I have one set with marks to measure.... I checked them and they are fairly close but they have some errors... I am not able to verify if the set I have cut are accurate because I do not have the extra portions with the markings. They were discarded when I was cutting on the band saw....:o

Pete - your idea of the cord measurements would be helpful and would allow me to measure each template. If you have the measures it would be a great assistance. I have $3000 in foam waiting to be cut, but I prefer to know my $50 templates are correct....

Any assistance would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Jeff

I have one set with marks to measure.... I checked them and they are fairly close but they have some errors...

People get distracted with the word "error", so let's be descriptive when using it. I'm assuming you mean that the verification dimensions are off about 1/8" over approximately a 24" inch distance. Based on that you would determine whether to cut paper inside or outside of the lines. This would be your "known good" set.

I am not able to verify if the set I have cut are accurate because I do not have the extra portions with the markings. They were discarded when I was cutting on the band saw....:o

Not much to offer you here that you don't already know. You can compare the "unknown" copies with the "known good" set and make any adjustments you need. You can also trace new copies from your reference set.

Most important is symmetry, and I wouldn't go nuts over small discrepancies (provided they're symmetric).

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

G'day Jon

The printing variations (I will not call them errors per your request) are over 1/2" in length and 1/4" height for the large wing templates. The variences are not 1/8" the inside and outside of the lines. The printing variences are larger. I would be happy to send you the cut templates for you to verify if you would like.

I measured the marks on my set that have not been cut and they also have variations..... I am not able to validate either set is acceptable.

If you can provide assistance it would be greatly appreciated. I am not being critical of your work. I am concrened that both copies I had made may have deviations that would result in long term safety issues. I also don't wish to cut $3000 of foam when I know the templates I have to work from have variations.

I respect your work; I am trying to correct a problem so I may proceed...

I welcome any constructive ideas and input.

Jeff

G'day all

I had a third set printed from another download of the PDFs. I measured them and they come out to be 22 7/8" X 16 15/16" vs. the 23" X 17" or a variation (don't use the error word) of .00543. I can accept this known variation as I do not think I can cut even with my band saw to that tolerance.

I will measure the Cord of each and post them later for anybody that may wish to use the information.

Thank you for your assistance. I think I will be cutting foam this weekend after all.....:D

Jeff

I had a third set printed from another download of the PDFs. I measured them and they come out to be 22 7/8" X 16 15/16" vs. the 23" X 17" or a variation (don't use the error word) of .00543.

Those should be quite good enough. Your prior prints were done incorrectly somehow, perhaps by scaling as someone said.

I can accept this known variation as I do not think I can cut even with my band saw to that tolerance.

Now you're talking.

I will measure the Cord of each and post them later for anybody that may wish to use the information.

That would be a good addition to the drawings. I'll also standardize the measurements so they're all the same (23" x 17").

Thank you for your assistance. I think I will be cutting foam this weekend after all.....:D

Good luck, even though I'm afraid to ask if this is the first part you're building...

G'day Jon

No, I am following the chapters. I will cut the foam for the tub this weekend after I complete the templates.

I completed the warm room for the epoxy last weekend. I will check to see if it can maintain 75 degrees over night before I do any layups.

I may have to build the spar table next if the room doesn't maintain temp....

Jeff

Jeff, get an electric blanket. When you get your layup done, cover it with poly then put your electric blanket over it and set to 'toasty'.

I've been fighting the 'warm room' battle and while I'm close, I need to get some parts built. Last night I hit walmart and it's back to work.

I figure I can work or the room some more as parts are curing.

i.e. heat the part ...... not the room.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

G'day T Mann

Good idea. Thanks for the gouge. I get my 12 billets of blue foam delivered today. If you are looking for foam try Dockbuilders.com; they have a great price on 18" X 48" X 90" billets. Oh, when you buy the billets tell them you also need a bolt. The shipping is $10 per billet less if you have some hardware shipped with it. The lady told me that if I purchase a bolt with the foam it all ships at the hardware price not the foam price. Foam is classified as Easy to Damage by the shipping companies, but hardware isn't. The lady told me that the order ships at the lowest shipping rate. Thus with a bolt the shipment is classed as hardware..... I saved over $120 on the 12 billets.

Let the Flyer Beware!

Jeff

G'day all..............

Another Open EZ fan from DownUnder, here. Been lurking for some months now, watching this li'l project develop.....what a rush!! :D I was 18 when I got my first ride in a locally built VariEze, and have been lusting after similar for years. Peals of delight when I stumbled across the Open EZ project.

Fellas, the work you've all been doing on the CAD's etc is exceptional. CONGRATS TO ALL INVOLVED!

I now await the arrival of my Terf CD's (Matthew Tait has been brilliant...it appears my discs have gone bush in the mail, so he's dispatched a second set. Thanks, Matt!)

So now, at the age of 45, it's time to plan, plan, dream, plan, and maybe even build!

Look forward to chatting with you all! :D :D

Open EZ Contender

Any updates?? Lets see some pics too.

My full scale fiberglass SR-71 project is on hold. Once I realized I couldn't paint it black, I decided it just wouldn't be worth it. Will be cleaning out the garage to start an Open-EZ instead! Anybody interested in faux spyplane parts for their living room?

In all seriousness, lets see some pics and hear some updates. Its 2008 already! What are you people doing out there? Maybe one of these days I'll stop dreaming and start building.

-Mike

Jeff ..... I had to follow my own advice (how scary is that :yikes: !)

I have been trying to get my new shop warmed up (using infrared quartz heaters) without a lot of success.

Bottom line was I went to Wal-Mart and bought 2 twinsize electric blankets.

Much better!

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

G'day to TMann & MHawkguy

TMann - I have used expanding foam to fill the cracks of my 4" thick building fiberglass insulation room that is 8' X 16'. I have found that two 1500 Watt electric space heaters can get the temps over 70 degrees F in about 2 1/2 hours with an outside temp of 20 degrees. I had to rewire yesterday due to the electric extention cord was "HOT", but I finished that task late yesterday.

Keep me posted on the electric blanket idea. I may need it yet. I will start my first layups this weekend with any luck!

MHawkguy - If you make the full-scale SR-71 out of carbon-fiber it will already be black. Just an idea for your joking thoughts. Oh, I will take my digital camera and get some pics this weekend.....

Happy New Year to all of you!

Let the Flyer Beware

Jeff

Howdy, folks. Just joining this forum after monitoring it for several weeks.

To answer the subject question, yes I'm a new builder of the Open-EZ. I've always wanted to build one, but could never find suitable plans. Then I saw this forum and I have (or will have) all the plans and documents I need to proceed. I'm remodeling my garage and as soon as it's done I will begin construction - probably spring of 2008.

As a former A&P and Avionics Tech (turned Java developer - how's that for a twist?) I don't see any problems with building. Now that the kids are gone, it will be something to do! I plan to have a website up to publish progress.

Many thanks for getting this stuff together! I've built a career on open-source, so to have an open-source plane just sounds like a natural thing for me.

• 1 month later...

Count me in, officially.

Cool, welcome!

I guess since this is post #116 in the thread, that's my 'license' number. ;)

Nice! What a great idea! (not that you need a number anyway, but it's still kinda cool.)

No, and rather than explain the premise again and rehash any "issues" please read through this thread from start-to-finish: http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1633

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I don't know if i qualify for a builder, since i don't really know if i will ever make it to the finishing line, but i just got the TERF CD (thank you Mat) and i started making arrangements for a shop.

I am in Europe (Greece actually). Does anyone have an idea if there is a way to buy EZpoxy in Europe ? Aircraft Spruce doesn't seem to ship epoxies overseas ...

Actually does anyone have any idea where to buy foam, fiberglass cloth and everything else in Europe ??

Also i want to thank all of you who made this project possible. You can't imagine my joy when i found out that L...EZ can still be made. Yes, i know, it is OpenEz but i really don't mind :)

BTW, i am a computer programmer. If there is anything i can do to help the OpenEZ project / community please ask.

OpenEZ For Me. Got The TERF CD. Building a shop. Hopefully i will fly one day :o

So is this a "clean room" set of plans? Who's drawing them up?

G'day Mike

I am not sure if my warm room could be considered a clean room. I have a lot of foam on the floor, but the shopvac will clean it up fast. I am finishing Chapter 7 this week. The room has allowed me to work on my project during the winter. I didn't start building the aircraft until after New Years, so I am making good progress.

I have included a couple of pictures of the room.....

Jeff

G'day Mike

I am not sure if my warm room could be considered a clean room. I have a lot of foam on the floor, but the shopvac will clean it up fast. I am finishing Chapter 7 this week. The room has allowed me to work on my project during the winter. I didn't start building the aircraft until after New Years, so I am making good progress.

I have included a couple of pictures of the room.....

Jeff

And now the pictures that didn't attach....due to size. I resized....

Jeff

post-2642-141090160128_thumb.jpg

post-2642-141090160134_thumb.jpg

Jeff, the nose of that Long in the picture looks familiar, does it have a big 32 painted on the fuse sides fwd of the strakes by any chance?

Hat

G'day Hat

Yes it does. It seems my hanger mate's nose is almost as well known as he is.

Jeff

Take a look here http://www.mgs-online.com/en/products/air.shtml

they make the MGS epoxy that a lot of people are using these days

Thank you Colin. I will contact this company. As far as i can tell it is an approved system or am i mistaken ?

Thank you,

John

OpenEZ For Me. Got The TERF CD. Building a shop. Hopefully i will fly one day :o