slipped the surely bonds.

I'm happy to announce that, after just over 5 years building, Cozy IV plans # 757 danced the skies this morning in a short but sucessful flight.

I've read others say that their first flight was "uneventful" and thought this to be a strange choice of words. Now I can appreciate the term because that's exactly what it was - uneventful.

Take off run was about 2000 ft on just over 1/2 throttle and wastegate fully open. Coolant temp was at about 185 in the climb, and 175 on the downwind. The engine purred smoothly, if a litle rich. (The fuel injection computer still needs some airborne tuning at various Manifold pressures.) The approach was a little fast but I managed to put her on the numbers at 75kts (thanks, Paul) and the touchdown was smooth. I used only a little braking to pull off at the end of the 3400 ft runway. I flew her once around the pattern - total time about 6 minutes. Ambient temp was 69F.

So now, the adventure begins...

John Slade

Cozy Mk IV Turbo Rotary N96PM

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

:banana: :thumbsup:Congratulations! :thumbsup::banana:

I bet it was a sigh of relief to see the water temp go down during flight. 2000 ft take off, 1/2 throttle, wastegate open? It's gonna be impressive at closed wastegate and full throttle!

Yeee haaa:yikes:

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif

Hell, I feel as proud and happy as a new pappa (which btw, is a close as I ever intend to get to true parenthood)

I really can't express the joy and happines......and envy, I feel for ya.

You just put a CanardSmile (as opposed to an RVgrin.....which is limited to the RV Pilot) on my face. The CanardSmile carries over to those around you.

Now I am more motivated to get my canard mounted this weekend.

Oh, if you need a destination for your new bird, I am only about 3 miles from Ellington Field (EFD) here in Houston. I will buy you dinner and everything. :)

All the best,

Chris:banana: :banana: :banana:

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Congratulations

Bring that thing on down to Houston...we'll get together with Chris B. and "do" the town up right!

Keep us updated...I know it will be hard...all I would want to do is fly now!!!!:P

David Swain

Watch thine airspeed, least the ground come up and smite thee.......

can you bring your COZY to Sn'F?

Not unless I fly 7+ hours/day between now and then.

How big an area do you have for a test area?

40 miles radius of West Palm. Getting it extended involves driving to the FSDO and begging, so I'll just do the time locally. No big deal. It'll be done in a month or so, then I'll be able to go anywhere I want.

Baby steps.

I did a second flight this AM. Two timesw round the pattern. No problems. Good cooling.

you mean this thing is RE-useable?

Only after excellent landings.

In case you hadn't heard:

Definition of a good landing:

Anything you can walk away from.

Definition of an excellent landing:

Anything you can walk away from AND re-use the airplane.

post-3-141090152422_thumb.jpg

"Better to be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

It makes more sense for flyers than fallers though- there's not a whole lot of time to be wishing when things go wrong in a skydive.

Big congrats, this is the start of a whole new journey for you.

Don't forget your web-journal now that you're flying-we need to know what happens next.