Trying to get a ride at Rough River

I plan on flying into Rough River Sep. 26th in a brand X off the shelf type plane. Sorry about that! I am looking for some one so kind as to give my wife a ride in a Cozy Mark IV. Dave Adams was kind enough to take me up in his Long EZ. My wife is not going to do the tandem seating thing. I am thinking about the AeroCanard for the extra room, but maybe after seeing a Mark IV it may be fine. Thanks, hope to hear from someone. John

If you're going to RR then all you gotta do is beg shamelessly when you get there.

Uh .... that works for the guys but we're talking the wife here. The last thing you want is to have your wife flying with a canard type you've never met before.

We are now levelling off at at five thousand two hundred and eighty feet ........

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

TMann,

After giving great thought about your statment, that 5280 feet, gosh that sounds about a mile high.... Maybe I should find someone with a Long Eze. Thats got to be safe, I rode in one. I will just tell her it's just like a Cozy Mark IV on the outside but totaly different on the inside. Hope that is close enough....:sad:

5280 feet means nothing in a Czoy. There's really no maneuvering room...That's why its called such.:irked:

Although that rascal Slade had posted, he and Char got frisky somehow.:confused:

So I guess where there's a will theres a way for some canardians.;)

Yep, better just have her try out the front seating whilst its parked on the ground.:)

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

5280 feet means nothing in a Czoy. There's really no maneuvering room...That's why its called such.:irked:

When you have to, (or REALLY want to ), there's a way. If you go to Rough. just ask Dan Cruger about "The Day Jerry Schneider Mooned a 737." It's a pretty good story, and a testament as to what's really possible when given the proper motivation.

I'd tell you myself, but it looks as though I won't be going to RR this year.:(

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

Wasn't John parked on the ramp at DIA?

Gives new meaning to the phrase, "mounting the canard"... Hmmm.:cool2:

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Maybe I should find someone with a Long Eze. Thats got to be safe, I rode in one. I will just tell her it's just like a Cozy Mark IV on the outside but totaly different on the inside. Hope that is close enough....:sad:

John,

I'd be happy to be the Long EZ driver to take her up if you can't come up with the Cozy ride. That is, if the weather gives us a break.

Dave Adams

Long EZ N83DT

Race 83

Just got back from RR. There were about 16 or 17 canards. Weather was bad Saturday morning but by noon flight operations commenced. Sam Chambers had his LongEZ there giving rides and Cris Isley (apologize for sp) and Scott Carter thrilled the crowd with high speed formation passes. Door prizes and lots of dogs rounded ot the festivities.

Just got back from RR. There were about 16 or 17 canards. Weather was bad Saturday morning but by noon flight operations commenced. Sam Chambers had his LongEZ there giving rides and Cris Isley (apologize for sp) and Scott Carter thrilled the crowd with high speed formation passes. Door prizes and lots of dogs rounded ot the festivities.

Wow, a real thin crowd this year. Did everybody get a door prize?

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif

Just wanted to post a big thanks to Dave Adams for an awesome ride in his Long, and HiGeez for letting me have his bulkhead templates.

On a side note I put in an order for chapters 4, 5, 6 and 7 this morning from Aircraft Spruce. I hope to be building this time next week.

Ryan

Cozy Plans #1552

Chapter 4

Well, the weather gods were not good to me. I could only come to R.R. Saturday morning and had to depart Saturday afternoon for Missouri. So now I am looking for someone that has a Cozy Mark IV in Missouri or a state near by. I am looking to show my wife the size and just the airplane in general. I really want her seal of approval before I spend half my life constructing it. Hope to hear from someone that can help me out.

Back in your original 1st post, you mentioned about "more room" in an Aerocanard...but a Cozy might be fine.

You probably know, but the back seats is the only place that an Aerocanard has a bit more room. Go to Jerry's great website for a picture which compares the two firewalls in what you are getting back there as additional room. The front seats are same as a Cozy, no more room there. It has been my observation that the transition from front to back design-wise is a lot smoother in a Czoy[sorry for the Russian spelling] than the fatter bootied Aerocanard...but that's just my opinion. Maybe a guy really wants his bird to sport a fatter heiny. YMMV.

Hope you get to sit in one soon.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Back in your original 1st post, you mentioned about "more room" in an Aerocanard...but a Cozy might be fine.

You probably know, but the back seats is the only place that an Aerocanard has a bit more room. Go to Jerry's great website for a picture which compares the two firewalls in what you are getting back there as additional room. The front seats are same as a Cozy, no more room there. It has been my observation that the transition from front to back design-wise is a lot smoother in a Czoy[sorry for the Russian spelling] than the fatter bootied Aerocanard...but that's just my opinion. Maybe a guy really wants his bird to sport a fatter heiny. YMMV.

Hope you get to sit in one soon.

I put the modified strakes in my Aerocanard. The above is correct about the back seats having the additional room.

Do the modified strakes create more room???? Well, yes and No.

The longeron is in the same place and thus the width of the cockpit is set. The strake modification is below this.

For the pilot, perhaps the concept of additional room gives one the idea that you can put your elbow in the space and manipulate the stick in this position. Although I have little time in a cozy/aerocanard, I have much time in a dragonfly, and it seems canard planes fly the same. I found that I needed wrist support to keep from over controlling, and thus don't think that, unless on A/P, using the elbow in the strake is a good idea (for me).

Now "the rest of the story"

The strake modification makes the front seat elbow room SEEM huge. You are not stuck in a tube. This psychological effect, in my opinion, is, if for no other reason, a great plus. If I had to do it again, I would absolutely incorporate this modification.

5 CANARDS UP:cool:

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D