My new Airplane, Q2 taildragger

I just thought that this forum was missing some pictures.

Complete ground up interior and exterior restoration. Engine is getting freshened up by cleaning out the cylinders and honing the walls. New gaskets, baffles, paint, etc.

post-4849-141090156839_thumb.jpg

post-4849-141090156844_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I just thought that this forum was missing some pictures.

Complete ground up interior and exterior restoration. Engine is getting freshened up by cleaning out the cylinders and honing the walls. New gaskets, baffles, paint, etc.

VT,

The Q2, Q200 and Dragonfly are 2 place variants of the quickie as is the Cozy a variant of the Long.

In 1979 or so, at OSH, when the quickie first arrived, he quickie company sensing the need for a 2 place quickie, contracted with a builder (I believe Gary LeGarre) in Canada to produce their 2 place craft. A Furloughed pilot, ex top-Gun and I believe with an AE backround also, completely separately, had the same idea (probably armed with the Quickie plans.)

His name, Bob Walters, completed the prototype dragonfly in time for the next year's OSH and showed it there-- won some sort of prize. The company was later sold to HAPI, (rex taylor), passed to his son Patric and has since had a couple of other owners. I don't know if it is still in existance.

The Q2 was not ready and the Quickie company was caught with its pants down around it's canard.

The Q2 was a kit, much like the velocity in that the fuselage was premolded and the wings done moldlessly (they used Orange flotation billets). The dragonfly was originally a plans-built, however they did pull some molds off of the prototype and called it (unofficially) the snap dragonfly.

Wanting more speed, some Q2 owners, originally with a VW engine changed to an O-200 Cont (thus the new moniker Q-200) and changed the canard to include, among the change in shape, I believe a tubular carbon spar. Some kept the canard tip wheels and some went to inboard and tricycle.

As a side note, Scott Swing (of velocity fame) originally had a Q2.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.(unless someone knows some contradictory factoids)

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

...and changed the canard to include, among the change in shape, I believe a tubular carbon spar.

All good info. The original design had a GU canard like the Q1, later (and before the Roncz) changed to LS1. The LS1 can be spotted by a fixed trim tab (called a Sparrow Strainer) sitting on the tarmac on the inboard side of the ailerons, with 'no step' obscured by somebody's footprints. The LS1 has the carbon spar, and new ones can still be sourced from a guy in Oz. The GU had the same problems as on the Vari/Long, and could be 'fixed' in the same ways.

I was looking at a Q2 myself recently, but despite the lies in the newsletters there is no way I'd fit into one, and no real prospect of lifting myself plus any member of my family plus any fuel.

Emerging from my tent at Cowra last week I was confronted by somebody hand-propping a Q200 that was pointing at me with nobody in it, so your pictures made me feel a little nervous:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Some more pictures in the meantime. I'm rewiring the entire electrical and installing new and used avionics. It will also have dual controls installed with the center stick remaining for either pilot but rudder pedals and throttles for either.

post-4849-141090156888_thumb.jpg

post-4849-141090156894_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Looks pretty up to date on that panel.=) Great looking plane...always loved the shapes. Very ''anti-plane''looking. Why are these a handful on the ground? Squirrly at taxi in what way? How does you panel weight compare to the sixpack. The airgizos is going to house a 396?

Again, great looking effort.

I would like one of these in my hanger, just because it is so outrageously cool!! =) Whats your engine?

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

i was told the brakes are all bad, but that is a good thing because if they worked it would flip over on to the prop:p

there are 2 good mods out now to help, toe in and a tail somethingerrether(?)

there was 4 of them down at LV

Steve M. Parkins

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...