AeroCad status?

Jon Matcho

This timing is interesting, as I just decided to build my landing gear bulkheads and rear firewall per AeroCanard FG plans. From what I understand from reading the archives, I'm now supposed to call my plane an AeroCanard. I don't want to do that, so maybe I'll make another major mod and create an entirely new name for it... let's see, these are taken:

• Limo EZ
  • Stagger EZ
  • King Kozy
I'll likely still call it a Cozy, but don't tell Nat. :D

Jon,

You can call your aircraft anything you want.

There is no question but that we all owe Nat a debt of gratitude. (of course part of the debt has been paid through plans sales and kickbacks for materials purchased by builders from ACS and Wicks), but the debt is owed, non the less, for with out his incredible work and input, we would be flying long EZs and our GOSs (girls on side) would then be GIBs.

However, unless Nat has copywrited or trade marked the name "COZY MK IV", since you are the manufacturer of your craft, naming it is solely up to you. Why don't you call it a "Modified Puffer?" Be aware that you may be hit by numerous frivelous law suits such as the type that put Jeff Russell out of business if you get to COZY.

There may be some question about using Cozy name for the aerocanard kit since it has been approved under the 51% rule, and since that may have been part of an existing agreement.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on how I'm feeling, I tell people that I'm building a "Cozy". If they're "in the know", I tell them I'm building an "AeroCanard". For everyone else, I have to work backwards from Long-EZ, Burt Rutan, to SpaceShipOne, to Richard Branson, to the Wright brothers before I get a connection.

It's all good -- I'm glad there are quite a few plans and kit options for building these planes.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 1 year later...

Hello Everybody,

I called Aerocad about 2 days ago, talked to the secretary, even on Sunday....well I asked a few question as I am decidinhg whic aircraft to build, She answered some but for the most technicals she told me to write an email to Al. It seems that they are building a lot of pre ordered parts. Al answered my email the next day and answered all my questions, told me that there is a waiting period for kits of about 4 to 6 month but that they have also some parts in stock already made. Looks like there is something going on there.

JC

....For everyone else, I have to work backwards from Long-EZ, Burt Rutan, to SpaceShipOne.....

When you recognise you are still hearing crickets after Spaceship One, its a good time to move on to exchanging recipes or talking about your favorite soaps. There are even men out there who give you "the blank stare" so you move on to NASCAR, its kinder than continuing on.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

If you want prefab parts you need Aerocanard for their excellent fuselage components and strake skins.

If you want finished wings, winglets, main spar or a finished canard, get in touch with Dennis Oelmann, he delivers to you door as well.

If you just want a boost with precision cut cores, get Steve at Eureka CNC to do them for you.

Just do something! :)

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

• 6 months later...

I have seen in several places that the Aerocanard plans were made available as shareware for download. I am starting to look at building a plane and am leaning toward a kit since I don't think I can spend the time to do it from scratch.

I would like to see these plans to help in my decision. Is there any way to still get a copy of tHem?

Thanks.

They were available on the forum wiki but I can not access it now for some reason. We (my brother and I) bought Aerocanard plans in December. Want to start building soon but have to finish other projects first.:irked:

Just an FYI. I once had both Aerocad and Cozy MKIV plans. They appeared identical except the Cozy plans were larger print. They both even had that goofy looking cartoon guy. I'm thinking Nat gave Jeff Russel the rights to copy his plans verbatum. Obviously, there's areas where the prefab parts have prefab assembly instructions.

Just an FYI. I once had both Aerocad and Cozy MKIV plans. They appeared identical except the Cozy plans were larger print. They both even had that goofy looking cartoon guy. I'm thinking Nat gave Jeff Russel the rights to copy his plans verbatum. .

The "Goofy Looking Cartoon Guy" is directly from Burts hand, just so you know who copied who's plans first.:)

While the Cozy III is a LE doublewide at the front seat with redrawn parts to compensate, the Cozy Mk-IV has a lot of new original design unless it came from the Defiant plans as well (Have not checked), either way Nat did a lot of work to come up with the Mk-IV plans.

There were a lot of drawings in Jeff's PD PDF files that got messed up, the bitmaps are overmagnified low res versions and not useable or readable, probably intentional as they were for information purposes only.

If you cannot invest $500 in legal plans you will never come up with the money needed to buy gallons of epoxy, three or four whole rolls of cloth and an engine.

But having plans available for a look-see to find out if you are up to the task is nice.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

I found the shareware plans for the aerocanard very helpful in making the decision to puchase the plans. We bought Aerocanard build plans. AL Aldrich also included the plans for the kit assembly. These are considerably different than the build plans which are, as noted, a copy of the Cozy MkIV plans.

Just an FYI. I once had both Aerocad and Cozy MKIV plans. They appeared identical except the Cozy plans were larger print. They both even had that goofy looking cartoon guy. I'm thinking Nat gave Jeff Russel the rights to copy his plans verbatum.

The latest plans have a fair amount of CAD enhancements to the drawings in them (WARNING: CAD printouts are not inherently a good thing). Regardless, there are differences in dimensions for the landing gear, rear seat, turtleback shape, and I suspect (hope) the strakes.

Obviously, there's areas where the prefab parts have prefab assembly instructions.

As mentioned by someone else, the kit plans are an entirely different "book" than the plans-built plans.

If I were doing it over, I'd build a stock-ish Cozy Mark IV if I wanted to be a plans builder (could always buy prefab parts from a variety of sources, notably AeroCad), or would buy an Aerocanard or Velocity KIT if I wanted to be a kit-builder.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Just a suggestion,

If you are somewhat interested in the Kit or some of the prefab parts, get the Videos that Al has available. They refer mainly to the kit.

They will either light your fire or send you on smouldering. If on you go, I'm sure that they will have a resale value so you can recoup some of your loss.

Reading plans is one thing, seeing it done, is another.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

New FYI:

The latest plans have a fair amount of CAD enhancements to the drawings in them (WARNING: CAD printouts are not inherently a good thing). Regardless, there are differences in dimensions for the landing gear, rear seat, turtleback shape, and I suspect (hope) the strakes.

With that enlightening update, wish I could have gotten the new Aerocad plans. I have the wings but would have been nice to have that wider fuse. I'll add here that if anyone orders the wings and canard from Al, they'll fot your Cozy IV plans without a hitch. The only thing is the Aerocad wings have a different forward to aft AOA orientation line than the Cozy plans.

Though sleep inducing, the Aerocad videos that Jeff made are really helpful. It is not that there are any true epiphanies in there as it is like a dry run for you on that particular section, that visualization makes a big difference time and organizational wise. It took two weeks to make our first wing, one week to make the second one, we did nothing different but the first one takes care of all the head scratching. Watching the videos does sort of the same thing to some extent. It also stops you from making it harder than it need be. Some people just naturally gravitate to the hard and complex way of doing something (like our canopy latch)

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Your canopy latch is extremely cool.:cool:

I've seen the girrrls canopy latch and yes it's extremely cool.

I wanted to take a picture to remember it, but certain body parts were threaten to be cut off. So I opted to just admire it!

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

If you cannot invest $500 in legal plans you will never come up with the money needed to buy gallons of epoxy, three or four whole rolls of cloth and an engine.

But having plans available for a look-see to find out if you are up to the task is nice.

...Chrissi

I understand what you are saying about investing in the plans. If I decide to build a plane, I would want legal plans. At this point, I am still investigating the idea (Don't tell my wife what I am looking at). I would likt to see the .pdf plans that were posted hoping that they would give me a better idea of the process so when I make a decision to build, I be more ready to begin.

I think it will be quite a while until I am in a position financially to start. I don't want to get started and have to stop to wait for more money to come in.