Just put a deposit on a aero canard FG how do i get it home

@Evan so did you get some more information to convince you on this one? Or are you just "going for it". 

Regardless, good luck and let me know if you'd like some help to unload at its new home (around Allentown PA I assume). 

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Jon 

Izzy says it looks OK and the fact that it is primer rather than epoxy made me feel a little more comfortable 

I'm going to get the build book from the original builder and AL (Areocad owner ) is issuing me a new serial number so its basically a new kit as far as anyone is concerned

ill definitely chronicle the build and the transportation, I anticipate quite a lot of work, hoping i can complete in less than 2 years but we will see 

My daughters English teacher used to say an inch a cinch a yard is hard she hates when i say it but it really hits home with a project like this 

thanks to everyone for their help and support I've been flying for about 15 years now and their  are no better people to know than the ones in aviation 

Izzy came with me to Aero cads Shop to pick up the plane and we took a pass.

although the project seems sound there was enough uncertainty to have Izzy recommend a pass on this

here is why 

1) there where no build logs 

2) pieces were missing ,old and rusted as though the kit was outside for a long period of time  

3) the Primer was really not applied properly 

He did keep my deposit,  I guess that's fair, but there was some misrepresentation as to the condition the plane and what was promised at delivery.

as I am a laymen with these aircraft I really appreciated Izzy's expertise in this. 

If anyone knows of a decent project for sale im thinking Cozy 3 or IV or a flyable complete aircraft on the east coast I would be interested 

thanks for every ones input  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Evan said:

He did keep my deposit,  I guess that's fair, but there was some misrepresentation as to the condition the plane and what was promised at delivery.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but sounds like you made a good decision.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I bought a project that was pretty far along; all of the structure was complete.

The guy was selling because his wife was pregnant so he needed more time at home.

I think the kid was born 6 mo. after I got it home and the kid is in graduate school now.

Well the Longeze is about finished

3 hours ago, Evan said:

He did keep my deposit...

Well, that's the point I guess. Still, sounds like Izzy saved you a lot of money and headaches, you won't regret getting good advice like that.

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

4 hours ago, bmckinney10 said:

Evan, I believe this is still available.  It is a short distance away from me here in MN, and I checked it out last November.  I believe Marc Z. has some background on it too.  I was considering it, but decided on a VariEze instead.

I recommended to Izzy that Evan take a look at Tom's plane (N40TD). It is NOT flyable and it needs an engine rebuild (and it wouldn't hurt it to rip out the panel and electrical system), but it looked like a structurally sound plane that could be turned into a nice plane with some elbow grease and TLC.

• 5 weeks later...

So you guys are the best!!

I put a deposit on Tom's Plane its in nice shape, Izzy and I are picking it up the weekend of November 7th 

Tom and I took the wings off and the canard, not too bad but I scuffed the wing edges getting them off, an easy fix 

The panel is a bit dated so that will have  to go.

how do I source  an electric nose lift in it, I'm not quite tall enough to lift the nose all the way and  need to make it easy for my wife to get in or she will never go in it 

I tried contacting the guys at EZ- nose lift a couple of times but got no response.

I'm sure its really part time for them, but I'm not sending any money until I talk to them, if any one has one they want to sell they should contact me . 

otherwise its just a waiting game.

Looking forward to some fly ins next year hopefully  rough river 

Kent

Thanks again I called Jack and he said the you cant email through his website it doesn't work  

you need to email him @  eznoselift@gmail.com

Jack said he keeps four or five in stock and drills them for what plane it is going in IE long EZ  Cozy Mark III or IV 

pricing is current on the web site 

thanks again for the help 

Edited by Evan

Let me know when you plan to load it up.  I can come help.  I am a short distance from KFCM. I trailered my Varieze to the Jet Guys (Robert Harris and crew) in Covington, TN last week and spent a few days there doing some upgrades, the condition inspection, and transition flying training with Ryszard. They have a wealth of knowledge and experience there.  Also tons of parts.  Good resource for the midwest area canards.

great to know I'm goin going to  be there the weekend of the 7th of November leaving here on the 5th With Izzy Briggs  he is helping me 

we could always use a helping hand 

if you give me your contact info Ill keep you apprised if there are any changes  

did you tilt it or just tow it straight on the trailer, we are planning on just  rolling it up on a car trailer and bringing it back as a wide load 

On 10/12/2020 at 5:08 AM, Evan said:

"we could always use a helping hand"

- Glad to help.  I am happy to see that Tom's plane will continue on!

"if you give me your contact info Ill keep you apprised if there are any changes"

- I will send you a message with all my contact info

"did you tilt it or just tow it straight on the trailer, we are planning on just  rolling it up on a car trailer and bringing it back as a wide load"

- Mine is a VariEze, so it easily fit within the trailer width.

I would like to clarify a couple things re: this AeroCanard project that we had for sale.

First of all, this was a very early AeroCanard project, mostly a plans built version built by Dennis Olemann for Doug Koster, and although it doesn't really look as nice as a full AeroCanard FG or SX model as it looks more like a Cozy MkIV, it was well built and has a lot of potential, especially for the practically give-away price we offered it for of only $15K. This project was originally purchased from Doug Koster for $37K! Plus there was extra parts bought later including a brand new engine mount. Also the plane has always been hangered and never spent a day outside. 

On 9/9/2020 at 8:53 AM, Evan said:

Now Even baby boy, you know that's not true at all! I was very upfront about this project, not to mention that you actually flew in and inspected the plane with your own eyes, at which time I would have gladly refunded your deposit, but you decided that you wanted it.

It wasn't till a few weeks later after you drove here cross-country 1500 miles with your truck and trailer to pick it up that you changed your mind. I also gave you a full set of AeroCanard plans and 10-DVD construction set that you really owe me $595.00 for! I also had Dennis Olemann on the phone that talked to you and Ziggy that answered all your questions about the plane.

The fact is that you let Ziggy convince you that you weren't man enough to complete the job! So, I say get your facts straight before you badmouth me or AeroCad!

Edited by Jon Matcho
Corrected misquoted text from Jon to Evan (the actual poster)

• 2 weeks later...

Al

Not to kick a dead horse, you did keep my deposit which I didn't argue about .

I did ask for a few things that weren't ready when I got there.

1) there were no build logs 

2)I was told it would be ready for transport IE wings and canard removed( canard was removed )

3) the paint was an issue to Izzy said it needed to be completely sanded down  it would have added lots of time to the build 

I brought Izzy because, well he was helping me transport it, I trust his judgment  

Basically Izzy said it wasn't worth the money for me and I should pass  

I asked for my deposit back and Al told me that it was more than 30 days and I wasn't entitled to it (ok ) 

Then I asked for a set of plans to offset the deposit cost and he accepted and we shook hands and I left 

by the way way the DVDs don't play in my DVD player or my computer I guess they were a bad set you should look into that 

I wish all the best in your Endeavors  Al I hope you can make a go of Aero Cad good luck 

Alan,

I withheld my feedback out of consideration for your business, but you seem to be picking a fight so here’s my side of the story.

The construction is good, but the plane is not in very good condition and miles from being called a finished airframe, which is what it was described as. I don't know Doug Koster, but invoking details about what he paid and why is irrelevant and probably not something Mr. Koster wants everyone to know. 

The airframe has clearly sat around a long time and is simply more work to finish than expected. Many of the metal parts show corrosion. One of the biggest issues is it is painted in a white primer or paint (you weren't able to say which when I asked) yet none of the contouring was done. Why? You didn’t have an answer. All that needs to be removed before contouring can begin and so the underlying work can be inspected. That alone looks to me like 600+ hours of work to straighten that problem out. The paint would hide UV damage to the epoxy if it were parked next to a window for a long time. And it might be incompatible with other materials used in finishing. Lots of mystery there, too much and it regrettably reduces the likelihood this would ever be finished. 

And as you stated, it is not an aerocanard, more aerocanardish. That means a longer build time as the new owner has to figure things out. Not the project Evan asked for. He expected a complete airframe. Since the contouring was not done, it could not be called a complete airframe by my definition.

Another major concern is you failed to produce any builders log or the original plans in spite of numerous repeated requests by Evan in advance of the visit. Frankly you provided no documentation  at all!

You were evasive or at least uninformed during the presale process and and failed to disclose or share key information. Thats on you, no one else. 

And don’t smoke cigarettes  around airplanes or in hangers or non-smokers like me. It’s foolish and potentially dangerous.

I was there and thats what i saw. 

Izzy

(603)410-7277

• Like 1