Just put a deposit on a aero canard FG how do i get it home

Im a new member and I just  bought this from Missouri (pictures attached) direct from AeroCad. It is my first attempt  at an experimental aircraft .

Izzy Briggs took me up this week and it was awesome, that pushed me to buy the aero canard fg . I am looking forward to flying it.

Dennis Oelmann did the build.

Does anybody know the best way to transport this from St Louis to Allentown PA.

I was thinking of towing it with a car trailer I got an estimate of 4500.00 for someone to do it its a little out of my range.

I should have it here by early next month whatever way I do it.

Ill be bothering everybody for help and info   get ready everybody 

Picture_002.jpg

Picture_003.jpg

Picture_004.jpg

WP_20190926_14_59_25_Pro.jpg

Picture_001.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice workmanship.  Moving is discussed fairly regularly.  In the interest of teaching a man to fish, there are four main canard forums that are useful for answering questions like this:  First search for Cozy AND Trailer here.  It will bring up a post on moving by Manju Nag with a link to pics of his move.  Also search www.CanardCommunity.com, www.CanardAviators.com and the cozybuilders Google Group  https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!forum/cozy_builders

If you don't find anthing helpful, I will be glad to post some pics.  A Cozy is an oversized load if shipped flat.  Manju got permits.  Some people tilt the aircraft so it doesn't require the permits. 

You might get a lower quote through https://www.uship.com/

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

the one i'm buying is has gear installed 

its impressive how you loaded that.

how did you get the fuselage on the trailer ?did you just lift it with  two guys it on or did you use a hoist  

I really appreciate the info 

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Evan said:

well it looks like izzy and i are going to get it, ill update everyone on the trip and the progress 

I told you! He is a professional plane mover. It reminds me of this meme of him from a couple years ago driving The AeroCanard west as he viewed the sunrise at the California state line. It sucks to have to drive a plane!

Meme 2.jpg

Edited by Ron Springer
  • Haha 1

super funny

Izzy is the man I just want to get it home and get it started 

I think im going to cannibalize my Piper arrow panel is exactly what i want the only thing i would probably replace s the auto pilot its an stec 30 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Evan said:

well it looks like izzy and i are going to get it, ill update everyone on the trip and the progress 

@Evan, I am an hour and a bit from Allentown. Hit me up if you need another pair of hands to help unload.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

On 7/19/2020 at 8:21 AM, Royal said:

I looked up Dennis Oelmann. He lives pretty close to me. 

For some reason I imagined you to be living in the UK. Probably something to do with 'Royalty'. 🙂

the story continues 

I flew out to Missouri to take a look sat this plane and I brought some pics back, I was a bit taken back by the exterior of the plane.

the Owner Al Aldrich  (owns Aero  Cad Now)  did if fact tell me it definitely needed Paint and prep I was wondering if this looked normal  and if sanding and filling looked like this in the early stages.

Al said that if i decided not to take it I could get my deposit back.

He is retooling with new designs and is looking to do what velocity did with A full shop and builder assistance I wish him luck with that  

I am still very interested  in buying this even though I probably added a year to my completion  time.

would you guys look at these pics and be as critical as possible Id appreciate it.  

the interior looks good  and I,ve  sent those pics already and have had some positive comments on the fit and build quality 

my concern is how normal this is in an early stage of assembly, looks really rough

Is this a plane I should pass on  

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

IMG_3825.JPG

IMG_3828.JPG

IMG_3814.JPG

IMG_3815.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG

IMG_3839.JPG

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_3812.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG

15 minutes ago, Evan said:

Al said that if i decided not to take it I could get my deposit back.

That's nice of him!

15 minutes ago, Evan said:

He is retooling with new designs and is looking to do what velocity did with A full shop and builder assistance I wish him luck with that 

Interesting. I wish him luck too with that. I hope he keeps to the AeroCanard design.

16 minutes ago, Evan said:

I am still very interested  in buying this even though I probably added a year to my completion  time.

I've been told that building one of these planes can be broken down as follows:

• 1/3 building the airframe
  • 1/3 engine, electrical, and avionics
  • 1/3 finishing

Even if this plane were in perfect shape you would have a lot of time in front of you. If you want to build, build. If you want to fly a canard, then you may want to buy a flying aircraft. 

16 minutes ago, Evan said:

would you guys look at these pics and be as critical as possible Id appreciate it.  

the interior looks good  and I,ve  sent those pics already and have had some positive comments on the fit and build quality 

my concern is how normal this is in an early stage of assembly, looks really rough

The interior does look good, and likely because "Dennis Oelmann did the build" (I never heard that Dennis built whole planes, only wings and canards, but of course I can be wrong -- ask him). Maybe Dennis built the fuselage and wings but did not do the assembly? The sand-and-fill steps were completely skipped with someone prematurely spraying paint all over the place (horribly). You're looking at taking all of that off, but... that's "just" part of the expected work remaining. Try to find out the specifics of all this and be clear with Al that you are reconsidering because of the exterior workmanship.

It's also interesting to compare the pictures that AeroCad sent to you with those that you took. Explains why there were no exterior close-ups.

I agree,

I think they just roller brushed that on for protection but I'm not sure  

The story is that Dennis is a friend of the original owner and helped him with the build, I have yet to verify with Dennis

I don't mind the extra work I have a flying plane now (Piper Arrow ) that and i have and  friends to help with the body and paint 

If I strip all that epoxy off, I'm assuming it will have to be all sanded off  is that  normal to just layup a piece of fiberglass sheet like that on the seams 

or should this  just be a pass , I am in for the work but i want a safe plane

I have discussed this with Al and he completely understands,  he did tell me the finish is rough but i did not expect that kind of workmanship after seeing the interior picks

All the inside looks good--that must have been Ohlmann's work.  The outside looks terrible and why it was painted is a mystery but I'd say the paint can be blasted off, the ugly places filled and it could turn out well.  The paint is epoxy???!!!  Meaning that the builder was going to fly it that way??  Wow.

I think I'd look into a getting a soda or CO2  blaster franchisee to come by and remove the paint but be careful that the blast pressure doesn't crush the foam underneath the skin.  I think the ugliness is all fixable.  The only other big thing I see is that the wheels seem to have more angle than necessary and perhaps should be shimmed or remounted to make the wheel flatter but wait until the after the engine is mounted.

If all the ugly seams seem to be well-attached and the right number of plies, you can just remove the paint and refill to make a smooth surface.  

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent

Update on terrible paint job

its in fact U-tech 350 epoxy primer so its not that serious just used it to protect  the plane while it was stored 

I am negotiating with him to get all the taken care of before transport 

get it paint ready so i can do what i inititally wanted to do and thats the electronics and mechanical included panel and engine Ill have that put of the way 

Dennis Oelmann  the original builder is supposed to contact me to discuss what was needed on the plane and hopefully ill get he whole story

so the SAGA continues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evan said:

I am negotiating with him to get all the taken care of before transport 

Maybe but epoxy will be one of the tougher paints to get off and if the seller was so careless, I’d be reluctant to trust him to make it right.  I imagine he’ll be tempted to do some filling and sanding on the existing article and hand it to you with another coat of heavy, poorly applied primer.   It is prolly not the best technique to put filler over a slick epoxy—even a primer—and pinholes can bedevil if not killed when preparing a finish.   Getting a good finish is not a slap-dash process.

you might negotiate for a discount and drop the airplane with someone who knows how to do this if you don’t want to do it yourself.    My guess is that someone would charge you $5K or more.    Airplane paint jobs ain’t cheap.  😞

-Kent

Kent

Actually he is going to out source the work, but if I can fine someone more local I would do it here 

Al who owns aerocad now , was also talking about changing the canopy to a newer style, but i told him that would be at his cost if he wants it 

just getting prices for now,  I'm actually thinking like 8K to get it primed and ready for paint ,I may take it as is and bring it to a shop to get done, Id rather stick with what i know and let the body be done by an "expert "

do you know a shop in Pa that could handle this kind of work ?

I can't thank you enough for your insight on this.

I am not sure how I’d remove an epoxy primer.   Perhaps a lot of it can remain, be sanded, pinholes killed and the rest of the process continued without a lot of hassle.   You’d have to experiment with it.   The JetGuys in Covington Tn do a lot of composite airplanes.   You might book an hour with Robert Harris’s to get his opinion if he is not far out of your way.

https://www.jetguys.co

-Kent

Ok I touched base with jet guys they are about 250 miles  firm where the plane is I’m wondering if he would go and look and what he would charge 

but I’m going to wait until Al gets back to me with pricing 

thanks again for the info