N200LZ: Chapter 10 - Part Two

TMann

Just getting into the rebuild of my canard. I cut cores last night (1/4 inch oversized.) I'll sand them down ti the templates tonight.

The Cozy Girrrls have ne restocked with nutplates and lift tabs. It should prove interesting as to how long it takes to build a second canard now that I have one behind me.

I have my canard hot house ready to go so temp should not be a problem. I had the GFI blow during the night when I was doing the top skin which cutoff the power to both of the twin size electric blankets as well as the vacuum pump. I'll be bypassing that this time around.

Looking forward to lower weights and better shapes!

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Just getting into the rebuild of my canard. I cut cores last night (1/4 inch oversized.) I'll sand them down ti the templates tonight.

The Cozy Girrrls have ne restocked with nutplates and lift tabs. It should prove interesting as to how long it takes to build a second canard now that I have one behind me.

I have my canard hot house ready to go so temp should not be a problem. I had the GFI blow during the night when I was doing the top skin which cutoff the power to both of the twin size electric blankets as well as the vacuum pump. I'll be bypassing that this time around.

Looking forward to lower weights and better shapes!

I will assume that you know that when you use the plans hot wire template to cut the cores, that the foam ends up a bit smaller then the template (1/16") so your sanding templates need to be a bit smaller then the plans. if not you will build a fat canard and it will not fit the contour finishing templates. I have seen fat canards where the builder sanded the foam down to the plans template size.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

I will assume that you know that when you use the plans hot wire template to cut the cores, that the foam ends up a bit smaller then the template (1/16") ...

It must be my build/shop elevation...

My cores came out exact. Err, maybe a couple thousanths small. I lightly spline sanded (maybe two strokes?) to check for bumps/joggles using 120 grit before I started layups.

I'll check final contour tomorrow, need to trim the trailing edge and taper the glass lap at the bottom skin. From what you say, I sould expect to be a bit large. We'll see.

Rick

Addendum: Cozy-IV, my drawn templates and checking jigs may be different.

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

I'm just curious if the Cozy Builders hot wire templates are still circulating out there? They were laser cut slightly oversized with a second set of "sand to" metal templates in the box. They have been around for some time now. Last I heard Nick Ugolini was the keeper of the waiting list?

Regards, Chrissi & Randi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Thanks Ron.

I'm mostly done flocking with the raw canard, came in at 24 lbs with two antennas and a 20" tails of coax. No tips, no elevator hardware.

The profile isn't what I'd like, but *I* think it'll work :) No joggles/bumps spanwise, other than at the BID overlap in the center. Leading edge tangent appears to be straight/true, though since I'm now off the cradles, I get some bend spanwise. I'm slightly 'large' at the aft curve on the bottom skin, where it turns up for the elevator pocket, and I'm fairly sure I'll need to 'massage' the trailing edge when I install the elevators.

Rick

Well I had a pretty good (long) day yesyerday. I finished sanding down the second canard and made it through the shear web layup.

I'll get the nose on with some MGS Fast and reassemble the jig I used before and hopefully get the bottom spar cap done.

It does not appear that this is going to set me back a lot.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I held off on starting the bottom spar cap. I get to be a little too optomistic some times when estimating how long it will take to do a layup. I was finishing up at 10:30 last night. I estimated the layup taking only half as long as it actualy did. :rolleyes:

I'm still shooting for a completion date of 2/1 for this chapter.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Was said, "The profile isn't what I'd like, but *I* think it'll work."

---> Don't fret over the profile of your canard because you don't want to fly with that profile. It's way too flat. When I contoured my canard I was simply amazed at how much micro I had to add over the spar caps to build up the profile enough to match the templates.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

... I was simply amazed at how much micro I had to add over the spar caps to build up the profile enough to match the templates.

Looks like that's where I'll be adding the most also. Think I may be trying the Wayne Hicks Patented(?) Canard Micro Profiling Sander Thingamajig when the time comes.

Thanks Wayne,

Rick

Looks like I'm still on track for a 10 day canard (chapter 10. )

I have my canard in the vacuum bag curing the bottom spar cap layup.

I'll do the hardpoints and antenna tomorrow and should have the bottom skin Wednesday.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I installed my hard points last night. I used the templates and basically cut out what would amount to the fnished shape from the spar cap aft. I cut the little tail piece off of the removed foam pieces to make up the difference in the meantime.

What I was after is a finished shape I can use as a sanding guide after I turn it over.

The antenna will go in tonight and based on how things go, I may put the bottom skin off until tomorrow.

Making progress!

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I almost hate to bring this up, (but I will anyway). If I were building a second canard, I would contour the bottom before I installed the elevator hinges. As you know from my Chapter 25 pages, the "milling machine" was the cat's meow for contouring the top of the canard. I was unable to do that on the bottom because the hinges get in the way.

A rough contour now and a tweak contour in a few years would be worth it.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

If I were building a second canard, I would contour the bottom before I installed the elevator hinges.

Good point Wayne and I'm surprised none of the various sets of canard plans mention it. A guy in my chapter has a Berkut kit and has loaned me the construction videos. Dave Ronnenburg <sp> seems to favor doing the micro fill the day after the layup and emphasizes how important that area is.

I figure that when somebody makes a point of bringing it up, it must be important.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I'm not sure what Dave is after with insisting on a next-day fill. Perhaps better mechanical bond? Plenty of us have filled and sanded years after the original fiberglass cure and none have micro falling off. Some preach the other side of the coin, that the fiberglass shouldbe allowed to cure completely before apply new fiberglass or micro.

I can say that doing a little filling along the way makes the Chapter 25 job easier and faster than waiting until the end to do it all.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

I'm not sure what Dave is after with insisting on a next-day fill.

I think a lot of it centers around the chemical bond and addressing the contour on the backside of the canard before the hinges get int the way, as you pointed out.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I have a current weight minus the top skin.

Currently I'm at 16 lb 7 oz. (vs. 30 lb of the previous finished canard.)

I can't imagine the top skin will add that much so it appears as though the decision to rebuild was well worth it.

I don't know where all that weight came from but I did some things different.

I switched from the standard tapes to the carbon fiber tapes which I don't think altered the weight any (I think the material weight works out about the same) but I must say it is a ton easier to work with.

I precut all the tapes for the top spar cap and from the start of the layup to end was less than 90 minutes.

The other thing I did different was to double the layers of batting to expand the capacity to absorb more excess epoxy. (I'm vacuum bagging.)

Lastly, this time I built a 2 inch foam enclosure to help maintain the temperature generated by the electric blankets. It's 60F degrees during the day in the basement and cooler at night. The air temperature inside the box is 87F degrees and 105+F under the electric blanket. One of the things that occurred when doing the top skin last time was I had the GFI blow during cure which cut both my vacuum and my heat. This time I have each of the two electric blankets on separate circuits which are independent of the circuit the vacuum pump is on. The pump is on a 20 amp circuit which should be good. If one of the electric blanket circuits go out, the other should keep a sufficient level of heat.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I believe MGS epoxy weights about 10lb per gallon. If your previous canard was just overly wet, that over a gallon extra epoxy. I'd expect it to be dripping off the canard, even if it was vacuum bagged. If that's not it, where did all the extra weight come from?

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

I believe MGS epoxy weights about 10lb per gallon. If your previous canard was just overly wet, that over a gallon extra epoxy. I'd expect it to be dripping off the canard, even if it was vacuum bagged. If that's not it, where did all the extra weight come from?

Like I said, the changes I made in my processes centered around the tapes, heat and more bleeder/breather material.

What weighs more, fiberglass or epoxy? As I recall, I put a lot of material into the spar caps last time. Any deviation in width also affects the amount of material used. I can't imagine all of the weight savings being from epoxy but then how is it (in cp 25-26) that Dick & Mike got their canard so light?

One other difference in my process this time is I did not hardshell. That may be a contributing factor as well.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

The extra weight probably came from differences in foam batches. Although the weight is nominally 2lbs/ft^3, but I think it varies significantly, maybe between 1.6-2.4 lbs.

The extra weight probably came from differences in foam batches. Although the weight is nominally 2lbs/ft^3, but I think it varies significantly, maybe between 1.6-2.4 lbs.

Possibly, But if the canard comes out to be 20 pounds versus the original 30, that a 30% weight savings. That's massive!

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Agreed. I don't what to make of it.

I checked weights at various intervals this time. The cores came in at 2# 11 oz.

Add the shear web, nut plates and bottom spar cap and I'm at 9# 7 oz

Add the bottom skin and I'm hitting 12#

Top Spar cap and you're looking at 16# 7oz

Tack on the top skin and you're looking at just under 20#

I'm not even thinking about where the other 10# came from. Maybe dust from sitting in my shop between layups.

If anyone is real curious .......... send me a check and I'll ship my canard to you. Figure on 30+# for frieght. :D

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory