MGS Reaction?

Cozy1200

While cleaning up I had a little bit of a scare. Somewhere in the process of cleaning I must have leaned up again something with epoxy on it. I had a blob of epoxy on my T-shirt directly over my stomach and I could feel it touching my skin. I lifted my shirt to see if I had epoxy on me. I was horrified to see a bunch of little red bumps like a rash. I instantly striped my t-shirt and clean up with some clean vinegar. I then washed it off with soap and water. Within an hour the bumps and redness disappeared. This may be a normal reaction when epoxy touch your skin. I won't be taking any chances. The last thing I want/need is to develop a reaction to epoxy. I'm not the type that normally have problems like this. I don't have any reactions or allergies of any sort.

I've already heeded other's advice and double glove with latex and nitrile. I'll need to pay closer attention to prevent this happening again. I probably start wearing another shirt or offer a little more protection. Any other suggestions?

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Drew, Don't take any chances. I cannot get near the stuff but Randi is ok. I have spots like a leopord, my fingers itch, my cuticles blister and my nails are screwed up, sometimes they just start coming off, other times they grow with holes in them, ridges etc.

To help Randi I must cover up completely, wear cotton liners and two layers of nitrile gloves, and a dust mask. I should wear a proper respirator.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

MGS has always caused small welts on my skin any time it touches me. I use Nitrol gloves and am careful, never had any serious problems. If I get any on me, I immediately go inside and wash it off with soap, no problem.

In some ways, the immediate reaction is preferable, b/c otherwise I'd be tempted to leave it on my skin and not wash it off.

Well, the tummy is sensitive skin, but... I'd keep an eye out for allergic reactions down the road.

A Tyvek coverall may be helpful. Though not totally vapor proof, it should keep the drips off your clothes.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Drew, Don't take any chances. I cannot get near the stuff but Randi is ok. I have spots like a leopord, my fingers itch, my cuticles blister and my nails are screwed up, sometimes they just start coming off, other times they grow with holes in them, ridges etc.

To help Randi I must cover up completely, wear cotton liners and two layers of nitrile gloves, and a dust mask. I should wear a proper respirator.

Regards, Chrissi

i was naked, and mixing up some MSG and i started to feel sad!

oops, wrong forum.

there are two places we don't get epoxy on, you found one of them (males only).............:o

Steve M. Parkins

This may be a normal reaction when epoxy touch your skin. I won't be taking any chances. The last thing I want/need is to develop a reaction to epoxy.

There is nothing NORMAL about it, as you know, everyone is different and you already HAVE a reaction to epoxy. I've been using the stuff for over 2 years and have absolutely NO reaction like you had and I've managed to get it all over me from time to time and I know that could change. If your reaction was that severe and quick, you may want to wear a respirator and keep your area well ventilated as the vapors COULD cause a similar respiratory problem, hopefully your more sensitive to direct contact and wear goggles/glasses like Jack said.

I'm not the type that normally have problems like this. I don't have any reactions or allergies of any sort.

Congratulations in a bad way, now you know of one.

Regards,

Jason T Heath

MarkIV #1418

heathjasont@yahoo.com

Dmchaplin,

I couldn't find what type epoxy you're using. But if you are using MGS 285, and all of the anti-contact measures you care to use don't help, you may want to consider switching to 335.

MGS 285 raises Texas-sized welts on my skin on contact. While the 335 causes me no irritation whatsoever. YMMV.

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security just because you are fine now. In my case it is an aquired allergy probably born out of stupidity when I was younger. I used to help a boyfriend mold R/C boats, polyester resin. We did this in a one car garage in Texas heat and humidity, t-shirts and shorts, spraying catylized resin, no masks, no gloves (thats what the 5 gallon bucket of acetone was for) etc.

Long story short he died when he was 41 from toxic reactions, from what I heard it was not pretty.

I am surprised my allergy is as mild as it is. It took awhile for the reaction to MGS to develope, about 18-24 months I think. Its not just the wet resin, the same components are in the cured resin and when you are sanding the resin plus the glass dust from micro grinds it way into your skin and pours, it also gets in your mucous membranes and lungs and causes stress.

I know when we have been working with resin when I lay down at night, I can feel it in my lungs.

You are young and healthy, don't be stupid.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

I used the Ply-9 cream this weekend and did the first torsional layup on the LG - my hands are blistered and itchy today.

I will use the Ply-9, glove liners and nitrile gloves for the next layup. It's a shame, though, because you can't really feel the quality of the layup with the gloves on as well as you can just using the barrier cream. And the gloves tear easily. I've improved the ventilation in my workshop, so fumes and dust are less of a problem than they had been. I bought a respirator mask, but if I have to wear that to work on the plane then I will have to give up the project. :(

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

I was horrified to see a bunch of little red bumps like a rash.

I'm surprised. I worked with a lot of different resins like polyester, vinylo ester (derakane) and about 3-4 different epoxies so far and I've never ever had any problems. But unfortunatelly I didnt work with MGS yet. Anyway I always use proper mask. If this resin couse problems for your skin just think about your lungs as well. (I don't know why people usually don't think about it)

Mak

I bought a respirator mask, but if I have to wear that to work on the plane then I will have to give up the project. :(

....uhhh, I'd be wearing that mask Phil. Think about this for a minute.

I believe that (for me at least) that the vapor given off by MGS irritates my skin which is why I use gloves skin barrier and a long sleeve shirt ........ plus the respirator!

If you look at the reaction your skin has to this stuff then you must assume that the same thing is going on inside your lungs as well. Most likely even worse.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I will use the Ply-9, glove liners and nitrile gloves for the next layup. It's a shame, though, because you can't really feel the quality of the layup with the gloves on as well as you can just using the barrier cream. And the gloves tear easily.

I'm not sure what you mean by feeling the quality of the layup, other than cutting and placing the wet glass, I've never felt up my work :) I've never had a glove tear when working with glass but remember that ALL gloves have a break through time and if your spending alot of time fondling your layup, your increasing your exposure to the epoxy and tearing.. I usually won't work with a wet pair of gloves for that reason, just change them to continue rolling, stippling, squeegee etc.

I bought a respirator mask, but if I have to wear that to work on the plane then I will have to give up the project. :(

Here at work, you get one warning for not wearing a respirator, the second time you get a pass to the unemployment office, it's that serious.

And for all that don't know much about respirators, 1.you need an organic vapor respirator 2. they have an expiration date 3. they come in different sizes and beards, mustaches etc. can effect how they work so you should check if they actually seal. 4. Most OV cartridges are good for 40 hours of exposure and come in sealable bags for storage between uses. if you leave it out of the bag, then throw it away after 40 hours cause it's not worth much after that.

Regards,

Jason T Heath

MarkIV #1418

heathjasont@yahoo.com

We're heading up to Western WA to pick-up a Cozy IV project this weekend, and it was built (to date) using MGS 335. What I need to know is, what's the epoxy that's LEAST likely to cause a reaction. Since the fuselage is only done through chapter 7, would now be a good time to think of using a different epoxy? The turtleback, wheel pants, cowling, gear bow, sump blisters and several other Featherlite parts are already made and I'm not sure which epoxy they use.

It's fairly critical that I do as much as I can not to develop a reaction to the plane. I'd probably muscle through it, but it would definitely slow me down.

.....what's the epoxy that's LEAST likely to cause a reaction.

That would depend on the builder's sensitivity. Everyone is different so where MGS may bother one builder, for another it's no problem at all.

I would suggest buying a gallon at a time (vs. large quantities) until you're sure how it will affect you.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

....uhhh, I'd be wearing that mask Phil. Think about this for a minute.

I believe that (for me at least) that the vapor given off by MGS irritates my skin which is why I use gloves skin barrier and a long sleeve shirt ........ plus the respirator!

If you look at the reaction your skin has to this stuff then you must assume that the same thing is going on inside your lungs as well. Most likely even worse.

The fumes don't seem to bother me. My skin is only affected where I had epoxy all over my hands. I'm not experiencing any respiratory problems. I wear a good dust mask when sanding. But if I have to wear a respirator to work on the plane, then the plane will be sold. It's a simple as that. The dust mask is just barely tolerable to me - steamed up glasses, wet, dripping face under the dust mask. Very unpleasant - but tolerable.

But the respirator with plastic (rubber?) touching my entire face, glasses pushed up so far that I can only see through the lower portion of the bi-focals - just ain't gonna happen. I'll sell the project and build a metal plane if it gets to the point that I have to wear a respirator.

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Phil, I wear a two sided bug respirator while wearing my glasses and its not a big deal. I do not wear goggles while doing a layup though...only while sanding. Use one of the well fitting resperators made out of rubber as pictured above...they beat the heack out of those itchy particle masks you are talking about. I'm not real sure how many particles they keep out being as flimsey as they are anyway. I think the double bug rubber style must ventilate better because I don't notice me sweating in it during a layup at 65 degrees[which is what temp is in the garage during a layup]. You'll be okay.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

The fumes don't seem to bother me. I'm not experiencing any respiratory problems. .

I hope you aren't serious. It doesn'y mean that it doesn't have any influence on you. My distant relative worked as a house painter (inside) almost whole his live, the fumes didn't seem to bother him, untill he was diagnosed with cancer. He was big man 6,4 tall about 220lbs former navy sailor when cancer finished him he was still 6,4 but only about 120lbs he died at 56. Of course YOU WON'T get any cancer or something from just one plane (beside epoxies are much safer to work with then for example polyesters special old ones) but it's much better (safer) to wear mask.

Personally if I have to work longer then 10-15 min with resins I always wear mask. Better safe then sorry. (anyway it's impossible to work longer then 5 min without mask when you are working with polyester resin- I don't work with them any more ).

Mak

Of the resins out there stick with the MGS, when heated to 95 deg it has the viscosity of thick water, wets out in a real hurry, you will do better quality work with less effort and fuss, besides, you don't want one of them brown airplanes do you? :D

Oh, and LoVac only works with MGS, the brown stuff is too thick.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

The fumes don't seem to bother me.

They do me. I'm using good gloves but noticed that my arms were breaking out. I figuered that on those 90+ degree days, my pores were opened up enough to be affected by the vapor. That's the only thing I could figure.

Anyway, if you won't use a mask, at least use a fan to direct the vapor away from your work area. (WOW ..... another plus for vacuum bagging! :D )

It won't do you a lot of good to build an slick cozy only to lose your medical .... right?

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory