Affordable moving map?

What AC type are you hoping for?

I'm actually hoping for Black Hawk. It's not the most glamorous helicopter out there but it has the most mission variety. Apaches are interesting but some of the Apache pilots I have talked to hate them and tell me that the flying is very boring and predictable. It really depends on how well I do in school. From what I'm told, the top 20% pretty much have a choice of which direction they go. This may or may not be true so I'll just have to wait and see.

So Linux is the OS that you would go for? Shouldn't be too difficult if you can find some Linux compatible moving map software. I've seen a couple but don't know how good they are. Linux should load on the tablet no problem as well. I've seen at least one tablet that comes with Linux pre-loaded.

Anyway, for me the real fun would be interfacing the tablet with the aircraft. I would have to either seriously pick the brain of someone who has done this before or find an off the shelf solution (preferred).

Jake

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackhawk sounds cool, but then I've always liked wings that stay put.

the top 20% pretty much have a choice

Thats how it was in my day, but the top 20% almost always wanted fast jets, and got them.

So Linux is the OS that you would go for?

No. I dont want a standard OS between me and the data. Give me rom based machine code any day.

>find an off the shelf solution

Right - like a garmin handheld.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

Right - like a garmin handheld.

Oh..so you want an affordable, easy to use, reliable moving map that works right out of the box for what you need. How boring :D.

Blackhawk sounds cool, but then I've always liked wings that stay put.

Unfortunately due to some poor educational and career choices I've missed the boat for a direct shot to the fast movers. Had I continued on to college right out of High School instead of waiting till now, I would have had decent chance at them. Dummy me felt that going into the Army straight out of school was the smart thing to do. I enjoyed myself but I could have done much more. If I knew then what I know now....

But...I've got a little back door plan going ;) . The Army sends a certain number of rotary wing pilots to the Naval Test Pilot School each year. Before attending, the rotary pilots go to the Army fixed wing course. During the Naval Test Pilot School students get high performance jet time including F-18s. Also, if I can finish a degree in one of the hard sciences, I can apply for the Astronaut program as well. They just picked up 4 Army Warrant Officers for the NASA program this year so it's not unheard of. So, even though the going may be tough, there are still some options open to me.

How long were you in the RAF John?

Jake

How long were you in the RAF John?

2 1/2 years, or 170hrs in a Jet provost, whichever way you count.

I was top in aerobatics, bottom in instrument flight. They threw me out a week before graduation. Something about saving me from killing myself.... :D

Jake, you might want to consider going after the OH-58 Kiowa. After the Chinook, which is rare outside the logging industry, it's the closest helicopter we have to what you'll find in the civilian market, which translates, of course, into job skills. But more importantly (yeah, my priorities aren't skewed!), most of the Kiowa pilots I knew on Campbell were under the impression that they'd be tapped first when the Comanche gets fielded, since it's destined for a similar role. They also tend to fly more hours in the Kiowa compared to the CH-47's and AH 64's. I suspect the Comanche would be similar. I've considered several times going the W/O rotorjock route, but I'm pusing the age bracket and I'm just a hair too tall. If I could do it though, I'd certainly go for the Kiowa.

Evan Kisbey

Cozy Mk IV plans # 1114

"There may not be any stupid questions, but I've seen LOTS of curious idiots..."

Jake, I've done 20 as a WO, retired as a W4. Flew Cobra's (ECAS, G & F models), 58's(A & C models), Blackhawks (A & L models) as well as the old reliable Huey. I'll throw my 2 cents in and move on to a question for the thread.

You'll learn all you need about VFR nav in marginal weather using a infantry terrain map while doing 120 at 10' agl under NVD. Class B can be handled with a decent sectional or JOG chart. I do agree it's a good idea to learn the basics because the GPS aided devices will fail at the absolute worst moment (Murphy always ruled any mission I ran)! That said, a good JAAT, Air Assualt or Cross FLOT Op is made much more efficient with electronically aided nav and fire devices. By the way, before you leave Rucker you will be a Master of Jargon.

I do not agree that you should look to fly the 58. Aeroscout is a proud tradition and a tough job, but even the AHIP is a marginal performer (I know; I know Air ro Air at Hunter Liggett - 58's 10 all other A/C 0). Trust me. There is no better bird than the UH-60. Also I have personal experience with an Army Aviator who went to the Navy Test Pilot school. He was and remains one of the most impressive individuals I have ever known.

Now for a question. Is there anyone out there flying IFR (IMC) in homebuilt aircraft with an EFIS system. It seems there are lots of discussion about the possibility, but I don't see any examples of experience.

Thanks for your patience.

Darrell

[John,

I had a sessna 210 IFR equipped no moving map. I used a Garmin 195 to supplement IFR & VFR flying, worked great. You can also use it to practice and set up trips at home before the flights. Think you would get a professional piece of equipment at very good value. Go for it.

Chuck Mk IV #1146

CODEN SR, Builder MK IV #1146

You'll learn all you need about VFR nav in marginal weather using a infantry terrain map while doing 120 at 10' agl under NVD.

:D :D :D

Ok, I could use some help with JAAT, AHIP, and "Air ro Air at Hunter Liggett - 58's 10 all other A/C 0". Other than that I think I got what you were saying :confused:. Thanks for the insights.

I've considered several times going the W/O rotorjock route, but I'm pushing the age bracket and I'm just a hair too tall

I'm pushing the age bracket myself. I'll be 29 in January which is the cut off. How much is a hair? I'm sure you could slump down just a bit right? They are hurting for pilots so they may also give a medical waiver for your height. I've got my flight physical on June 4th, would you like me to ask the doc about it?

Jake

There is so much good hardware coming down in price quickly that I wouldn't consider building my own moving map system, except...

I'm thinking about going all digital through a large lcd display for the instruments. Also, I'm thinking about integrating a micro-controller autopilot system controlled by the navigation software. (unfortunately, this is the only part of the airplane I can work on at the moment... and actually appear busy at work! :D )

Why build my own instead of buying off the shelf? Well... why build an airplane?

This ain't rocket surgery!

• 2 weeks later...

Noodles, It is expensive but if you are going to IFR a plane whats an extra 5K. I knowits for info porouses only but what a stack of options. Man this has all the bells and whistles. Terrain, weather, Indicated vs. optimal heading, obstruction, E-mail, approach charts, moving map, speed. All this @ the finger tips. Wow. It will Definately give you the big picture. My only concerns are why don't they have a bigger screen? How reliable is the info that you get? Obviously terrain is static. Weather and approach info is the most important to me as well as moving map accuarcy. Has any one seen the console of the new cessna mustang jet? Another big WOW! Single monitor for all instruments and non windows based operating system. How much does one of those cost?

You can't get too big. The BM EFIS/One is too big for a Cozy MkIV panel. There needs to be a smaller size panel option.

These things replace so many instruments and can put it in a way you can see everything without getting cluttered. You don't have to physically turn the head to scan across all your instruments to make sure everything is all right.

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif

The BM EFIS/One is too big for a Cozy MkIV panel

Is this meant literally, as in it won't fit no matter how you try it, or do you mean it's too large to be practical? From what I've gathered it will fit, but only just. It won't leave much room for anything else.

I keep looking and drooling, but the steadily lengthening price tag on the EFIS/One forces me to place it in the category of wish-ware. I'll keep on wishing, though...

Evan Kisbey

Cozy Mk IV plans # 1114

"There may not be any stupid questions, but I've seen LOTS of curious idiots..."

The BMA unit is about 11 * 8. I had this area taped out on my panel for a while. I had a row of switches above it, and the six basic instruments to the left. Still room on the right for a radio stack. It's big, but it fits a Cozy IV just fine.

I saw it could fit in the middle, but that put the radio stack far to the right. I didn't know if that was too far over. I also thought it was best to put that EFIS right in front of my nose, looking straight at it for the approaches. But never having flown an IFR approach, I really don't know it it all that important or an advantage.

It does fit nicely in the middle though, doesn't it?

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif

The stack is still within fairly easy reach. Remember that the stock belt holds you pretty firmly in the seat and doesnt give you much ability to lean forward. I was going to install inertial reel belts, (even bought one to try) but thought better of it after trying the seats with cushions and seeing if I could reach stuff. There's no need to stretch, even for the radios at far right.

As for IFR. Chances are you'll learn in a spam can with traditional instruments. Transition to an EFIS might be a little difficult with respect to the scan you develop during training. This is why I used a standard T and plan to add a standard CDI. I've flown many hours with the traditional setup and I'll be more comfortable in my own plane if I have the stuff I'm used to. Once I get used to using an EFIS I might redo the panel and put it in front of me, but for now it goes in the middle (once I get it).

The ARNAV ICDS 2000 PFD is a top-of-the-line Electronic Flight Instrumentation System (EFIS) for experimental aircraft. The large, bright display includes engine power indicators, EHSI, Flight Director/Flight Advisor, and VOR/GPS/ILS coupled navigation displays including Glide Slope. The PFD provides predictive data in terms of position, energy and time and also displays airframe configuration data. It provides a wide range of fault detection alerts, and full integration with the ICDS 2000 MFD and engine systems already available. The display consists of a HUGE and extremely sharp 10.4 inch screen that has to be seen to believed. It stands 8.25 inches high but is only 4.37 inches deep. The ICDS 2000 integrated cockpit display system takes center stage as the visual focus point on any aircraft and was standard equipment on the Cirrus SR20 and SR22. It can integrate optional applications anytime you need them, like WxLink,™ a breakthrough in cockpit weather delivery or Stormscope,© lightning detection. Window-in conflict alerts, such as ground proximity, air traffic or engine information is available.

Specifications: Display Type: AMLCD (10.4" Diagonal Size) Height: 8.25" Width: 11.50" ( "Double Dzus" ) Depth: 4.37" Weight: 8.8 lb. Input Voltage: 10-35 VDC, unregulated, positive polarity Power Consumption: 50 watts Operating Temperature: -20C to +70C Storage Temperature: -40C to +80C Serial I/O (Bi-directional) : 7 RS-232, (4 convert to RS-422) Signal Inputs: 8 discretes, 4 pulse counters, 14 differential analog channels, 8 single ended analog channels, keyboard input, NTSC video (optional). Signal Outputs 16 discretes, 1 audio channel, CDI and flags, Glidslope Indicator and flags.

HOT TIP! The ARNAV ICDS 200 is an outstanding system. We currently have a few "New Surplus" units at less than 50% OFF! If you're building a kit the ICDS-2000 at this low price is the system to get! ... Jim

ARNAV ICDS 2000 P/N 453-0550-00 (New Surplus)

Reg..... $ 12,995 ... Special..... $ 6,389 (Very Limited Supply)

Click Here to Order

Your reply says display only. Mine does not.:D

I have been a pilot for 36 years. Are you guys realy that gung ho to fly IFR, not to mention land IFR? Speaking from personal experiance, I would much rather turn back, stay home, or at the airport, than punch through weather Ducks won't fly in. Some times you get stuck and have to. You say to yourself, If I live through this I will never do it again, mabey go to church give God a lot of money, what ever you think might work at the time. I do know you will be buying hair dye before your time. ( to keep that youthful devil may care pilot look). What I'm getting at is. When the blanket is thrown over the windows, all the confident tower talk, best equiptment, and pact with the allmighty. Won't keep your butt from grabbing your custome cushins. IFR on top, OK. IFR landing, FU

If the phone don't ring. It's me