Affordable moving map?

I totally agree. I plan to stay out of the nasty stuff as much as possible. However, NTSB says that the most likely cause of fatal accident is VFR > IFR. This suggests that not installing quality IFR instruments (& skills) has been regretted by numerous pilots.

We all try to avoid it, but I'd like some help if it happens. Most (hopefully all) of the time my GPS moving map will just be "useful information", rather than life critical info.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we were at SNF this year we spent 2 days looking at the GNS530 and the UPS CNX80 (?). We ended up going with the GNS530. We also bought the Garmin Audio panel and transponder (mode C digital, not the $5k mode S).

Got them from American Avionics, great people to work with. Gulf Coast didn't have the time to talk to us... their loss, not ours.

We just received the units last week. The wiring is handled by an Approach Systems avionics hub. Extremely nice set up. Don't know how it will work yet, but the concept and wiring are nice.

One very big consideration is panel space, as Marc and John are aware of. If you can get the 530, audio panel and transponder in one stack great. I couldn't because I have the Wayne Lanza panel at the top of our panel. The 530 is in the center, with the transponder and audio panel next to it. This leaves 1/4 inch between the CDI and the 530 and 1/4 inch between the audio panel and the VM1000. Don't know why we worry so much about what wood laminate we put on our panels when we end up cutting holes all over it anyway!

Still working on the mounting. Hopefully this week.

Daryl

Daryl Lueck

Cozy IV N797DL

• 11 months later...

The GNC 300XL is going for about $2600 isn't it? You can't beat that, it has comm too. All you have to do is navigate on victor airways. I don't know that you have to have a VOR. It could also be the GPS source for EFIS later. I'm planning on a Grand Rapids. Have you tried Stark Avionics? They have really good prices and will wire it all for a fee.

Long Ez, AeroCanard

• 2 months later...