Big Steve

Plane building junky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Steve Harmon
  • Filer Idaho

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:28 AM

You want a Longeze but dont want to build it. You have lots of money. Well do I have a deal for you. Send me a bunch of money. I like to build so I will build the parts you need.Then I can finish paying for my Cozy IV Simple deal. I built a Longeze worked on it every day it took 5 years. I also made 3 kids and had 2 job changes. I do not aggree life is to short to build and airplane I am on my second one and have 4 more planned before I write my bucket list. STeve build on

Thought I should post a picture of the first plane in action.

Posted Image
Steve Harmon
Lovin Life in Idaho
Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ
http://websites.expe...t.com/bigsteve/
Working on Chapter 19,21

#22 EricD

EricD

Cozy IV #1588

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Eric Deslauriers
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

You want a Longeze but dont want to build it. You have lots of money. Well do I have a deal for you. Send me a bunch of money. I like to build so I will build the parts you need.Then I can finish paying for my Cozy IV Simple deal. I built a Longeze worked on it every day it took 5 years. I also made 3 kids and had 2 job changes. I do not aggree life is to short to build and airplane I am on my second one and have 4 more planned before I write my bucket list. STeve build on

Thought I should post a picture of the first plane in action.

Posted Image

Very nice plane +++,

But its not a question of not wanting to build. Its rather a question of how can we improve the building process. Because 3000 hours represents about a little over 8 years at approx 7 hours of building per week (an hour per day). Which is approximately what most will take to build their Long... 5 to 10 years... Needless to say that this is probably the single most important reason why most of these project never get finish.

Although the process must be VERY interesting. I know that if it is possible to cut down its lenght for a few of us to about 2-3 years... it would make for more EZs flying. Which is a good way to keep this project alive and well.

My idea is all about building on the experience of others. A lot like you offered to build me one for cash. I would benefit from your experience. But seriously, I have no intention of spending over $ 100,000 on a Long EZ (parts a labor :D ). I would buy a complete Velocity RG for slightly more. No waiting period and better resale value if it ever comes to that (like if I loose my licence for medical reasons... gods forbids.. as I have no intention of resaling the plane).

But as a few indicated here, I will look near my location it its possible to put together a team of builders. As for all of you out there... if you are interested in cutting down on your building time... lets unite..

Regards,

#23 EricD

EricD

Cozy IV #1588

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Eric Deslauriers

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:44 PM

T mann is right. You can build one of these things yourself with a lot less hassle than trying to coordinate with 10 other people. God what a nightmare that would be!

A story: I was in an EAA chapter where the members were always saying "Let's build and airplane" so after years of hearing that we started an RV-6 from scratch. You would think it would go fast, right, with 20 enthusiastic builders working on it every weekend? No way. We worked on it for about seven years, must have gone though 75-100 different builders, it was hard to keep anyone committed, some guys would come in to BS and keep the real builders from getting anything done, guys would work on the airplane a while and lose interest or start their own projects, and the workmanship was barely adequate. We finally got it on the gear and sold it after we couldn't decide how to finance the engine.

SAF_Zoom, You gotta understand human nature. You would end up building 10 canards, having to sell eight of them because eight of your guys backed out of the deal, and you'd still need to build the rest of your airplane.

I ear you, 20 poeple working on the same plane is very unproductive. Although some are experienced... they all have to approach the project assigned to them with 0 experience on type. But 20 people building 20 planes by building 20x the same parts is very productive. Its all in the learning curve.

As for your last comment... I'm a business man and no fool... that is why i said for this to work you need a contract... And also money must be put "in trust" as a protection if poeple try to bail. What is the expression I'm thinking about... ha yes... No money No candy... lol

Hell, its the way Ford redifined production lines... :P

But i sincirely understand your point.

#24 TMann

TMann

Got Foam?

• Verified Members
  • 1,755 posts
  • Thomas Mann
  • Omaha, NE

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

But its not a question of not wanting to build. Its rather a question of how can we improve the building process. Because 3000 hours represents about a little over 8 years at approx 7 hours of building per week (an hour per day).

The way you improve the process is WORK ON THE PLANE!
I can't imagine only spending 7 hours per week. On the weekends that I'm not flying, I do more like 10-12 hours ....... in a day.
I don't think I could cut down on my habit.

And by the way, that's holding a full time job and running a side business at the same time. I also try to get in 3-4 hours of flying time per week.

Do you have your table built yet?
T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18
Velocity/RG N951TM
Mann's Airplane Factory
We add rocket's to everything!
4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

#25 EricD

EricD

Cozy IV #1588

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Eric Deslauriers

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:18 PM

The way you improve the process is WORK ON THE PLANE!
I can't imagine only spending 7 hours per week. On the weekends that I'm not flying, I do more like 10-12 hours ....... in a day.
I don't think I could cut down on my habit.

And by the way, that's holding a full time job and running a side business at the same time. I also try to get in 3-4 hours of flying time per week.

Do you have your table built yet?

Well looks like I have a line on a Long EZ... will keep you posted...

#26 brainfart

brainfart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:40 PM

Of course I've never seen any of those 6 month planes, but I assume that not only were they built by competent and experienced people who didn't spend half their time scratching their heads trying to make sense out of the plans and descriptions and the other half daydreaming about what they would do once their toy was finished, they probably also didn't care a whole lot about the optical appearance of their baby. Todays builders usually try to achieve a car-like perfect finish and an interior which is superior in appearance to their living rooms. Don't strive for perfection, just build (and fly) it!

#27 TMann

TMann

Got Foam?

• Verified Members
  • 1,755 posts
  • Thomas Mann
  • Omaha, NE

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:07 PM

Very much in agreement with you, BF. I find myself getting bogged down occasionally ....... over-thinking the process instead of building. I'm getting better at avoiding this trap. Looking back, I think (if I were starting over) I could knock out Chapters 4 & 5 in a two week span (on my Long-EZ.) They seem so incredibly simple now but were so intimidating then. :D
Velocity/RG N951TM
Mann's Airplane Factory

#28 EricD

EricD

Cozy IV #1588

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Eric Deslauriers

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:59 PM

Very much in agreement with you, BF. I find myself getting bogged down occasionally ....... over-thinking the process instead of building. I'm getting better at avoiding this trap. Looking back, I think (if I were starting over) I could knock out Chapters 4 & 5 in a two week span (on my Long-EZ.) They seem so incredibly simple now but were so intimidating then. :D

Well as a NHL coach once said.... nothing beets experience... :)

#29 BrianHu

BrianHu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Brian
  • California

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

That would be awesome. I'm in if we could get it going. This is the way that the U.S. Was able to have literally thousands of airplanes in the air at one time and all within a very short time. Cooperation. Working together for a common goal. Each builder specializes in one area or on one part and they can produce a part that is likely of higher quality more efficiently than one person that has to do many parts on they're own.

In that Spirit
Thank You,

Brian H.

#30 Kent Ashton

Kent Ashton

• Verified Members
  • 667 posts
  • Kent Ashton
  • Concord, NC

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:59 PM

Brian, you are replying to eleven year-old posts.  If you want to build an Open-ez, just build it.

Edited by Kent Ashton, 18 November 2017 - 08:10 PM.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-650 hrs, Long-EZ-55 hrs

#31 TMann

TMann

Got Foam?

• Verified Members
  • 1,755 posts
  • Thomas Mann
  • Omaha, NE

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

Brian, you are replying to eleven year-old posts.  If you want to build an Open-ez, just build it.

Actually it's a 9 year old posts.

Stay in STEM...... :D 

Velocity/RG N951TM
Mann's Airplane Factory

#32 Jon Matcho

Jon Matcho

Canard Zone Developer

• Verified Members
  • 2,437 posts
  • Jon Matcho
  • Martinsville, NJ

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

There's nothing entirely wrong with replying to any-year-old posts.  Oftentimes they're still relevant, potentially even this one.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Canard Zone Developer & Builder
Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Building Cozy Mark VI+ (widened rear)
www.canardzone.com/members/JonMatcho (I know, it's broken... for now)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Stats