Electric heat?

2High2Fast

The best electric heat is electric clothing rather than trying to heat all of the air electrically. I have an Aero-stitch electric motorcycle vest that plugs into a jack on the instrument panel. I wear that under a sweater and a fleece. A big winter coat is just too bulky in a VariEze for me.

But, the cabin heat off my carb heat muff works so well that even though I have worn it this winter, I haven't felt the need to turn it on. It was 25 F when I took off on Monday and I had the vest on just in case but didn't use it. But, I didn't climb any higher than 3000 ft on that flight. Maybe a different story if I climbed to 10000 ft!

Agree with Ron.    I had an electric heater in the Cozy III I owned and it used a lot of amps and did not give off much heat.   If you can seal up the nose are well, the sunlight through the canopy will almost keep the cockpit warm enough.  I put SAE receptacles in my EZ for heated seats but never got a chance to use them.

I bought some carbon fiber tapes to make heated seats.  Here is a site about making heated vests.  https://www.instructables.com/DIY-carbon-tape-heated-vest/   It looks very EZ but I really never needed it.  It would be a fun project

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I do have heated gloves and insoles, and they are a big help, but it’s the lower legs, and eventually toes, that freeze. Upper body is fine, with a leather coat and a couple layers underneath.

i was visualizing a small unit that could be quick-disconnect fitted and blow enough warm air to take the edge off at altitudes above 10,000’. 

I will try to seal up the elevator torque tube, and see how much that helps.

i also have a gap at the aft edge of the rear canopy (I have split canopies), and that undoubtedly isn’t helping.

Which canard do you have, GU or Roncz?   For a GU, I once suggested leather boots inside the fuselage over the torque tubes that were held tight to the fuselage inner wall with neodymium magnets.    Maybe flox a thin steel ring on the fuselage wall for the magnets.    
The Roncz canard with offset torque tubes is pretty easy to make a tight fit.   I understand offset torque tubes can be fitted on a GU canard but I think I’d try the boots first.   

-Kent

33 minutes ago, Kent Ashton said:

Retrofit offset torque tubes on a GU canard.   http://nickugolini.com/Website/OffsetTorqueTubes/Offset torque Tubes.htm

This is exactly what Velocitys do on their elevator torque tube, since the elevator hinge points are well below the bottom of the canard on that plane as well.

I learned of a lot of "good" changes to "improve" the Longeze.

Did some of them.   Took so long to do them that I never had

the time to fly my Ercoupe.   So when my test pilots finished testing the Longeze, I

(1) had to do the medical thing that the FAA instituted; took 2 entire days

(2) had to fly the Ercoupe with my buddy who is a CFI; got a few flights done

(3) had one more good change to improve the Longeze; it is too cold for the epozy

(4) Had to avoid the cold weather one more winter and got trapped on Maui for over a year     (I own this house) by the virus epidemic.

So now I am too old to fly, need to finish the BFR, and have the Longeze at OLM while I sit on Maui.

You Know, it is better to fly the thing when you are young enough to fly and avoid some of those "Good" changes to the Longeze

Thanks for the boots idea- exactly what I had in mind.

Bruce, that’s exactly why it’s so hard for me to tear into it! I HATE the idea of it being down, but February in Western Oregon (snow and freezing rain at the moment) is as good a time as any could be. With a minor change like blocking some airflow, I might be able to fly more comfortably for long trips. It’s not terrible now, but when I flew down to Marc, my feet were frozen on arrival.

If you’re separated from your EZ and it’s in Olympia, I’d be happy to run it for you or check up on it or whatever else you need, anytime (that the weather will let me zip up there from Mulino).

Zach

On 2/10/2021 at 5:58 PM, Kent Ashton said:

Which canard do you have, GU or Roncz?   For a GU, I once suggested leather boots inside the fuselage over the torque tubes that were held tight to the fuselage inner wall with neodymium magnets.    Maybe flox a thin steel ring on the fuselage wall for the magnets.    
The Roncz canard with offset torque tubes is pretty easy to make a tight fit.   I understand offset torque tubes can be fitted on a GU canard but I think I’d try the boots first.   

it’s the Roncz. Any good pics of these boots?

2 hours ago, 2High2Fast said:

it’s the Roncz. Any good pics of these boots?

A Roncz usually has offset torque tubes that do not require a big wide hole in the side of the fuselage.  If that's the case, you can usually seal it with a small bulkhead on the canard.  See pics I grabbed off the web  (Hat-tip Tarmacgrazer and LongEzPush).  To get a final fit I waxed up the torque tube section thoroughly and fitted the canard with a gob of micro that filled any gaps.  Be sure you can remove the canard after that!  Also consider that water could freeze around the offset gap and lock your canard.  I have do not know of anyone who actually experienced that but perhaps it can happen.

I do not have a picture of a boot--only read about them.  Also read that the big wide hole for the non-offset torque tube could be helped by a big wide piece of plastic or something on the torque tube that slides but still covers the hole.

I will put in a pitch here for https://canardowners.com     This is the follow-on to the old Central States Newsletter which always had great tips about things like this.  I do not have subscription now but I think you can get into their archives and you get a good newsletter.   Hours of good reading in the back issues.

images.jpg

IMG_3768-1024x768.jpg

-Kent

Zach:

Thank you VERY much for your reply. in early April

I am sorry that this will be long.   Currently I am on Maui because it is safer (long story) and I own this house anyway.  My wife is tired of bein here.

I get my 2nd vaccination for the virus in mid-march so I probably will be at my hangar in early April.   I have a shaping problem that I must do between the top cowl and the rear of the fuselage/wing.   I have a plugin for an electric seat but I have not tried it yet.   My test pilot did.   I have been planning to use the system that Hollister uses; you must know him.   It should not take long to make the change.   Anyway I have a large battery due to weight/balance (I am not a very big guy).   The problem with Hollister's system is finding any way to get the pipes through the firewall which is already full of fuel system, wires (about 15 by rough guess), and control cables and tube.

I still have to get legal again so the Ercoupe will be flying when I can.  Two buddies fly with me sometime.  

So I will let you know when I get back if you send a phone number.   I guess I can get that on this website.

Bruce

3 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

A Roncz usually has offset torque tubes that do not require a big wide hole in the side of the fuselage...

On the COZY MKIV, this is the case. On the Long-EZ Roncz canard, the original implementation did not have offsets, at least on the planes I've seen... I"m sure there are some folks that have implemented offsets like Nick Ugolini has.

7 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

I will put in a pitch here for https://canardowners.com     This is the follow-on to the old Central States Newsletter which always had great tips about things like this.  I do not have subscription now but I think you can get into their archives and you get a good newsletter.   Hours of good reading in the back issues.

I'll second that. As a subscriber myself, I can say that the price is more affordable than ever (digital edition, especially good for those of us outside the USA) and the content is very worthwhile.

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)