V8 Long EZ

goatherder

For Modified Long EZ fuselages, Here is an exerpt from my potential web page on the Limo EZ. I based my changes on Sam Kriedel's work when he built the Limo EZ. The article appeared in the CSA news letter. Ibelieve streching a Long EZ is a lot different than stretching a Cozy.

From the article: "The firewall was widened 2 1/4"...The aft compartment being stretched 4 1/2". The pilot station was moved forward this amount. The canard also went forward this "limo" amount plus an additional 2" making it 6 1/2" farther forward than a stock Long EZ. The calculated CG shift forward was about 2". The m.a.c.of lift also had to move forward so I (Sam) achieved this by two means. The canard shift forward handled half the requirement while a 7" canard span increase took care of the remainder." The standard canard is 140". The Cozy MkIV canard is 147". I built the canard using the methods used to build the Cozy canard. The center is different and the lift tabs were placed for the widened fuselage. Back to the article: "The nose gear also went forward with the canard plus and additional 1" ... In addition to moving the longerons apart 3/4" at the pilot panel, the fuselage sides were constructed out of 2" urethane foam to permit 'hollowing' thereby limiting cross section drag. It was necessary to jig each side and bottom into curved shape before skinning the inside to prevent 'suckin' during fuselage assembly"

Joe Berki

I am stretched 13" (firewall to canard) and will undoubtedly have some fun when it comes to weight/balance stage.

No aerodynamicist here but just thinking . . .

To illustrate the effects of stretch, just imagine how a 50'-long canard airplane would fly fitted with the current wing and canard.

- stretching the fuselage requires less ballast but the longer lever arm means any weight up front has greater effect. You load the canard more heavily, especially when carrying two people (Cozy) , which could mean you run out of canard authority in the landing phase, and takeoff roll might get longer.

- at higher speeds though, the canard's longer level arm might be able to drive the wing into stall.

- if you lower the canard incidence or shorten the canard to compensate for the second problem, you accentuate the first problem, or vice versa.

It sounds tricky to me.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 1 month later...

I have one question.

How does it possible this guy fitted propeller stright to the engine, without any reduction gear. I think forces from trust will destroy bearings in engine. Am I right?

While flying along side of Gary Spencer's V8 long ez doing 200 Knots, Gary decided to to give it a little more throttle and all I saw was him pull away from me at an alarming rate. all I saw was his thrust, from my point of view it looked like the engine was running just fine and making plenty of thrust. Note, If you find yourself in this position flying with Gary "Do Not" get behind and below him unless you want to experience his thrust first hand.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

....and all I saw was him pull away from me at an alarming rate.

"Alarming rate"

I wanna see that.

I would also like to see if I am able to kinda keep up with him.

Yea, my big Cozy, albeit 285hp Cozy, keep up with him...yea right.:rolleyes:

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I have one question.

How does it possible this guy fitted propeller stright to the engine, without any reduction gear. I think forces from trust will destroy bearings in engine. Am I right?

From what I remember the kitplanes article about this plane said he built a drive extension which included thrust bearings (shifting the load to the bell housing mating surface of the block). It was a while ago and I don't have that article anymore, but I'm pretty sure it was done correctly. It also has/had a 500 holley with a mod for manual mixture control.

In the end it is a direct drive 360ci (Ford 351 alloy block bored a little) so it's performance must be relatively close to any 360 powered Long which in itself must be pretty impressive.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

Look at the pictures in the article, you can see what he's done. No magic here.

He has an aluminum prop extension bolted directly into the back of the crank, with the flex plate sandwiched in between the extension and crank flange. The thrust bearing inside the engine (on the crank) is taking the load. This has been done on airboats for a long, long time. I assume he's using a forged steel racing crank...some of which are rated for 1500+ hp.

Ford Racing no longer sells the aluminum 302 block...all that are available today are 351w, which has a higher deck and I assume weighs a little more.

Bare block is 92lbs...and costs $3300 if you shop.

You can buy a 4" stroke balanced rotating assembly which will give you 408ci. The tall block allows a 6.2" rod, which gives you really good rod ratio. These things make a ton of torque - PHR did a writeup on one they built and it was making 331hp and 497 ft/lbs at 3500 rpm.

This was NOT optimized for low-rpm torque, either - peak hp was 550 @ 6000rpm. If you're only turning 3500 rpm max then you would optimize for low rpm torque and end up with even more. (this is also cheaper)

Marc Oppelt

Olympia, WA

http://picasaweb.google.com/oh.u8it2