Ike spared my hangar...just FYI

For those interested I was able to drive out to Ellington Field (EFD) today and drive by my hangar and all appeared in tact. I was pressed for time as I had to also check on my home/elderly mother before getting back to serve and protect, so I did not make it inside, but the structure looked sound.

We have heard one of the local airports was devistated. Perhaps Pearland Regional/Clover was the rumor with some chilling images. Information is sketchy and due to power outages TV is limited. Y'all may have much more information then me. I am typing this in my patrol car's laptop.

Ellington(elevation about 41') is about 25 miles north of Galveston, my house is about 30.

HOWEVER, Houston/Galveston is NOT New Orleans and things are progressing....maybe not as fast as some of the media idiots feel it proper, but we are pulling together. Since the media only seems to focus on the negative...or potential negative, if they were reporting on Jesus walking on water, they would be griping he got his feet wet.

One row of homes will have grid power or a generator and there will be extension cords across the roadway to a nieghbors house to help out. We have even caught a break with the weather becoming cool, by Houston standards, and clear.

I did get power last night, so my mom, who I take care of, and my dog Winston are good even if my fence and some of my roof is not. However, I am at work and power is hit and miss in Bellaire Texas (a little city surrounded by SW Houston. Don't know about power at the hangar but since I don't get off work til 11pm I hope to have power when I am able to get out there again.

Just FYI. I hope to be back at rebuilding my strakes ASAP.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

GREAT news Chris about your good fortune! Troubling for the others. Ike was a nasty animal....

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

... if they were reporting on Jesus walking on water, they would be griping he got his feet wet.

Or he can't swim.

Just FYI. I hope to be back at rebuilding my strakes ASAP.

You go guy :)

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

These tornadoes are totally foreign (no pun intended here!) to me, since we don't get this sort of thing in South Africa, think the last one that hit here was 1956 in a town called Roodepoort. A tiny little localised one hit a small airport here called at Contermanskloof & wiped out 4 of the 6 or 7 T hangars.

However, due to the TV, we have some inkling - (I know - nowhere like living it) - but sufficient to genuinely say that we do share your happiness and our thoughts are with the less lucky people!

Chris Van Hoof

Johannesburg

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

With all the crap thrown in your direction over the last few weeks, it's about time some good luck came in your direction. It's great to hear the good news.

Also keep up the great work on the streets, it's appreciated even if it is not said.

I agree with your comments on the media. There is definitely damage around, but things are not as bad as they say. In a couple of days things should get back to a manageable stage (except for Galveston, Seabrook, Kemah and those others hit hard of course). Good news that Ellington did not get that much damage!

I hope that when you open the door, all will be well and not a well

LOL:cool:

Me too, we do tend to get some water under the door during strong rains...this was a bit stronger than most.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Great news Chris! A lot of us guys up here were thinking of you. Especially with all your bad luck on your Velo this probably would have been the last straw. Great to hear you're still in the game!

The closest we get to feeling your demise is only a taste of something similar for a very short period seems every year at OSH. Nothing more than a blown away tent or a flipped porta potti.

Thanks for the kinds words, but I really don't think I have had bad luck on the Velocity. It is all part of the process and my desire to share in the learning and provide full disclosure (like my hero John Slade:rolleyes:;) ). I learned an amazing amount from watching and listening to others.........

So, not bad luck......GROWTH. :cool2:

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

For those interested I was able to drive out to Ellington Field (EFD) today and drive by my hangar and all appeared in tact. I was pressed for time as I had to also check on my home/elderly mother before getting back to serve and protect, so I did not make it inside, but the structure looked sound.

Chris

Am I the only one who noticed that Chris has his priorities in order !!!!!!:cool:

Kraig