Dont Waste epoxy it is exspensive!!!!

Big Steve

After building 1 1/2 airplanes out of epoxy and fiberglass I have learned not to waste the stuff. If I have a little left over in the bottom of the cup I will mix micro with it and spread it somewhere on the plane. I am going to have to frosting cake it someday anyway. Now that I am building lots of little fairing parts doors and semi non structural items. If I have a little left over I put it in a baggy and put it in the freezer. I get it out the next day let it sit for awhile and then put some fresh epoxy out of the pump on it then mix it up. I only do this on stuff that is non structural. Dont waste the stuff fix all your wifes stuff with it:D Back before gloves became popular all my drink cups had epoxy finger prints all over them. I still have a 20 year old drink cup with epoxy finger prints. Build on STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Steve,

That freezing idea isn't too bad.

I too try to conserve it. Last night I only made 1/2 a squirt for a super small flox job. For anything under two squirts I now use disposable plastic cups. They're cheaper and easier to mix.

But sometimes you do end up with too much left.

I've read similar suggestions before about using left over epoxy to start the fill process. I have reservations or at least questions.

Here my thoughts. Micro can vary so much in consistency between batches. Also when it cures, it sweats so it's shinny and needs to be scuffed before more is added. My thinking is that with all the smaller batches that it may end up with a hodgepodge of harder & softer micro with lots of joints. That may cause some troubling during finishing. Like trying to sanding a nice transition between two different types of foam.

I can't say my concerns are valid, but unknown.

I'm all for conserving epoxy. It's over $200 a gallons here in OZ.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

Steve, I only made 1/2 a squirt

That freezing too bad.idea isn't

you do end up with too much left.

I too try to conserve it. Last nightfor a super small flox job. For anything under two squirts I now use cups. They're cheaper and easier to mix. with a hodgepodge of harder & softer micro with lots of

But sometimes It's over $200 disposable plastic

I've read similar suggestions before about using left over epoxy to start the fill process. I have reservations or at least questions.

Here my thoughts. Micro can vary so much in consistency between batches. Also when it cures, it sweats so it's shinny and needs to be scuffed before more is added. My thinking is that with all the smaller batches that it may end up joints. That may cause some troubling during finishing. Like trying to sanding a nice transition between two different types of foam.I' all for conserving epoxy.a gallons here in OZ.

m

I can't say my concerns are valid, but unknown. you are so right about the hardness, day 6 vs day one no way can you get it flat.

i have did the hodgepodge on thin spots like the bottom and the turtle back, but i all-ways over sand while it is soft (day 1/2 to 1 1/2 day) that way when I'm ready to work that same spot i can float on a big coat and never run in to the hard stuff.

i think after a summer or 4 it all sands about the same....HARD IMO

Steve M. Parkins

I usually fill the really "deep holes" with eze poxy micro. I know that I will be going over them again with west system. I also use the extra micro when I have it to smooth out places where foam is exposed like the bulkheads it gives it a really nice look when it is painted. For all you weight freaks it does ad weight so maybe I better just throw that little bit of extra in the waste can.

I have started using small paper cups like they put nuts in at a wedding. Maybe 3 oz. I use popsicle sticks to mix it. This way I can do a 1/4 squirt out of the pump and it is still pretty easy to mix up. Dont waste that stuff it is expensive!!!!::D

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

I've been looking at the decrepit wood handles on the pitch fork, grain scoop, ... And all the scraps of UNI and BID with little dots of cured epoxy on them...

Lucky so far I guess, other than what ends up on my shoes, I have very little left in the cup at the end of a layup. I weigh, FWIW.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

If you want to reduce waste, weigh it!

I bought myself two little electronic scales from a dealer I found on ebay. One has a capacity and resolution of 50g/.01g, the other one 600g/.1g. Price was only about €10 each (these are the same kind of scales that West System charges you $40 for).

Posted Image

One might say the smaller one is too accurate, but I need the accuracy for other uses anyway and I actually use that one all the time. Accuracy and linearity were checked against an expensive electronic analytical scale at work and they are remarkably good, but even if that wasn't the case it would still work since it's the ratio of the ingredients that counts here.

Most of the time I just need 2 to 5 grams or so of epoxy for small repairs or gluing something. I use disposable plastic shot glasses and wooden coffee stir sticks (lifetime supply of 1000 pcs. for 3 bucks) and can accurately weigh such small amounts without having to worry about the correct ratio anymore.

In the past, when I used the cheapo electronic kitchen scale (2000g/2g) I had to prepare at least 20g and still wasn't sure if the ratio was right since that thing was so damn inaccurate. Good enough if you want to mix a pound of epoxy, but completely useless for small amounts.

The resin and hardener are dispensed dropwise with disposable 3ml plastic pipettes (bought a box of 500 years ago, another lifetime supply):

Posted Image

After use place them upright on a pice of tissue and since they are made from nonwetting polyethylene they will completely drain, or just leave what little is still in there for the next job.

Some might say I'm ridiculously anal :o but considering the amount of money saved and how much epoxy I do NOT needlessly throw away anymore I think the small investment into accurate electronic scales is well worth it. And what's even more important, I now know for sure that the ratio is right, no more guessing and worrying.

My thinking is that with all the smaller batches that it may end up with a hodgepodge of harder & softer micro with lots of joints. That may cause some troubling during finishing..

This is true, but in my experience it takes at least three applications of filler to get the surface true. You might as well use leftover epoxy for the first application. Have you heard of the "aluminum oxide rub"--at least, that's what I call it? Use an aluminum bar to rub over the surface as if you were sanding. It will leave smug marks (oxide) on the high points. Sand those smug marks and you will eventually get a pretty smooth wing.

-Kent

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold