The Goood, The baaad, and the ugly.

Kraig

Well Dennis, lets get this ball rolling.

This thread is dedicated to pictures of our shops as they normally look. I am a firm believer that most shops are not very tidy while we are in the depths of a chapter. Mine in particular shares as a storage for a 1965 Corvair Monza, warehouse for my construction company, and plane factory. Oh, and whatever else my wife can convince me to store in there.

Here are some pics I promised I would post, the shop is as I walked into it this morning, you can see the spar just completed on the table. That big "table" with stuff on it next to the table is really my fuse on a rotiserie upside down.

Now, from these pics, who can find:

1. Fuselage

2. Spar

3. Landing gear hoop

4. Canard w/ elevators

5. Landing brake

6. Motorcycle

7. Corvair

Have fun, and lets see your shop!!!

Kraig

post-1020-141090158016_thumb.jpg

post-1020-141090158019_thumb.jpg

post-1020-141090158022_thumb.jpg

This is real EZ, I have a network camera in my shop thats linked to my web site.

Goto

www.iflyez.com

and click on the "Watch Waiter Work" thumb.

This is how I do it:

A couple years ago, I wrote a program called "Net-To-Web".

It takes a snapshot from the Network Camera (Axis 205), Compares the image to the previous image to see if there is any movement in the two photos. If there is a difference, it:

1) Makes a thumb size copy of the image, and transfers (JPG file via FTP) the thumb to my web site.

2) It also sends a short user entered text message (text file via FTP) to my web site that describes the photo. Like a text message!

3) It sends a date - time stamp of the image to the web site. (text file via FTP)

When you call up my web site, you see an almost real time thumb from my Network Camera, PLUS - If you look to the right of the thumb print, you see two lines of text :

CURRENT PROJECT and ON (DATE/TIME). This is the text and date/time stamp that was sent to my web site describing what I'm currently working on, and when.

This program was originally written as a sort of Surveillance monitor (MY Alzheimer's Mother lives with us so I needed a way to constantly monitor without tying up bandwidth). It will take the comparison snap shot image anywhere from 1 second to several minutes apart.

If it see's a difference, it can also save the images to my local disk, AND send out an e-mail with the image as an attachment.

The thrushhold level (pixels) can be adjusted so the cat doesn't trigger, but a human being will.

If there is any interest, I'll clean up the documentation and post the program on my site as a download.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Unlike some of you I am not a computer genius so I will just post regular pictures I have a hard enough time doing that. Here is the outside of my shop this last summer. I am building the plane on the left side the right side is my welding side I run a business out of it and Store my 1980 turbo diesel international scout there it is my other TOY

Posted Image

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Randi won't let me post pictures of our shop(s) on the web, looks too much like a warehouse for Bindford Tools :D

Sad to say we have tools that are brand new that we have not had time to mount on stands to use. Most of those are more related metal banging for metal sculpture which I do not have time for but I can dream can't I?

If you want to get totally sidetracked from plane building, go to www.Metalmeet.com, you could not find a nicer bunch of people (except canard builders) anywhere and they are incredibly helpful as well. Also search their pages for any upcoming regional meets in your area and you might make some great new friends. I have learned things from them that have been very helpful in Cozy building.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Here is a picture of the back of my shop with out the fusalage in the way. I did not get much done on the plane during the holidays due to to many family members comming and going. So I put them to work and cleaned the shop. This picture show my surface plate before I moved it. Now I have lots of room to put my plane flat out and put the nose on.

Posted Image

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

These two photos show my workshop at it's current state. By far the messiest it has become. I will not do any further work on the airplane until it is cleaned up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Compare these images with to my shop as it was when I first started:

Posted Image

Compare these images with to my shop as it was when I first started:

this sorta reminds me of the before/after ads for weight loss. You haven't lost that much weight, you're standing straighter, and wearing clothes that are too large for you! That shop isn't messier, its poorly lit! :)

this sorta reminds me of the before/after ads for weight loss. You haven't lost that much weight, you're standing straighter, and wearing clothes that are too large for you! That shop isn't messier, its poorly lit! :)

Well the before photo has a lot of sunlight coming through. Actually the shop is pretty well lit, but if the flash on my camera is on, then the picture ends up looking a little dark (go figure).

Well I had some time off the last couple of days, so I went to task and cleaned up the shop. I hung the spar next to the canard, out of the way till needed later. I threw away alot of misc. building materials I decided I would never use, re-organized the rest and put things away where they need to go.

I need to do this about every 9 months or so. Having a real clean shop can get one quite motivated. It makes it nice to be able to work without bumping into stuff, and being able to find stuff right away is a plus.

Time to get it dirty again. I need to find some money so that I can get my chapter 13 going. Until then, I plan on finishing the headrest area and then I can always start on the turtleback jig.

Oh, well. Progress is progress.

post-1020-141090158589_thumb.jpg

post-1020-141090158591_thumb.jpg

post-1020-141090158594_thumb.jpg

Wow! Very clean shop....I need to follow suite. Would pass the kid glove test!

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back to work on the cozy after a nice long vacation.

This is shop number One!

I tend to keep my shop clean because of the small size. When it's not clean it's like trying to waltz in a teenagers bedroom. I'll typically clean and sweep it up after doing any major work that makes a mess (i.e. sanding, cutting)

My work style is to grab the tool I need and then leave it nearby until that step is complete. Typically there'll be half a dozen tools (pens, pliers, sanding blocks, etc) laying around and on my work. So I half to clean it all off before proceeding. I'll snap a picture before i clean it the next time.

Shortly, I'll be moving to shop number TWO. After returning to OZ, we received notice that out landlords had sold our unit and we'd have to move. We knew they were considering it. So now we have to find a new place at a reasonable price with a garage. Get this, the little 2 bedroom, single car garage is maybe 1,000 square feet. The one half of the duplex sold for $395 grand!!!! :envy: Absolutely insane.

So here's my shop after a quick cleaning.

Working around the shop left to right

Pic 1: Tablesaw, cross cut sled (on floor), bandsaw, workbench with belt/disc sander, vice, & drill press, and then the rolling tool box. On the wall above the table is the laminated cozy profile (printed all on one sheet).

Pic 2: Center of the room you can see the 3x9 workbench. On the far end, the hot box is next to the door, small metal lathe, cardboard box full of foam. In the middle of the wall on the right is a piece of plywood that I used to weigh the bulkheads down (bulkheads behind the wood). Finally clear to the right is the fold down cloth cabinet. One the table is the longerons and jigs for CH5

When cloth table is down, it's COZY IN THERE!

post-336-141090158703_thumb.jpg

post-336-141090158706_thumb.jpg

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...