Richard

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread now, but last time I spoke with JD, the gear was out of production and sold out.

I believe he posted in recent months that he would only do a new run if he got something like 60 deposits(!). This seems unlikely, as people aren't likely to want to put down a deposit for an indefinite amount of time for something that might never be produced.

• Sad 1

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

on the Infinity web site, James mentioned they infinity gear set that they are NOT usable on velocity due to differences in the spar.  Can you guys explain the differences between a Cozy IV spar and a Velocity spar?

On another note, If Voidhawk9 is correct on the 'out of stock' thing, is there anyone else who make canard landing gear or that can be applied to a canard?

thanks,

Kenneth

I'm not very familiar with Velocity spars, though I believe they are similar. I imagine there are differences in mounting bolt locations that could cause a problem, and the actual structure may be different as well.

AFAIK there are no other retractable gear vendors for our canards. But Infinity gear kits come up for sale from time to time from owners who never fitted them.

• Like 1

(GMT+12)

The regular fiberglass gear struts are sold by Aerocomposites

Gregory Andronaco

AeroComposites LLC

KUKI

1327 South State Street

Ukiah, CA  95482

707.462.2939o

707.462.3424f

aerocomposites@pacific.net

About a year ago a chap reported cracks in his Infinity gear weldments   https://groups.google.com/g/cozy_builders/c/BHIV1WV5GrM/m/SxVUS45-AgAJ   I don't recall what happened after that but this is more of the discussion   https://groups.google.com/g/cozy_builders/c/Nhv-zVchpD4/m/LjY7wM0cAAAJ   

IMO, the Cozy fiberglass strut and wheel pant are pretty aerodynamic and the speed increase you'd get from retracts (5-6 kts?) is not justified by the expense, weight, and complexity.  They might be worth it if you're cruising in the 300+ range but at the sub-200 range we cruise at, no.  Six knots gains you 7-8 minutes on a 400 mile trip.  Big whoop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

50 minutes ago, Kent Ashton said:

IMO, the Cozy fiberglass strut and wheel pant are pretty aerodynamic and the speed increase you'd get from retracts (5-6 kts?)...

If you even get that. John McAvoy, after a 3 year retrofit on his Long-EZ, noted that at some altitudes he was getting exactly zip for a speed increase, and at best a 2- 3 kt. increase (IIRC) and still had the loss of fuel capacity.

I'm 100% with Kent here - completely against retractable mains on a standard Long-EZ or COZY that cruises in the 160 - 180 KTAS range. Do a good job on your wheel pants, gear leg fairings and intersection fairings and you'll be in about the same place with far less maintenance and cost.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the big issue with retracts is the additional weight.   Weight kills speed so aerodynamic gains can be diluted by increased drag from a heaver wing loading. I have to agree with others who prefer fixed gear. However if retracts can be made lighter then the advantage creeps back.

I already have Infinity Retracts on my project and just the stock hydraulic pump and solenoids weigh >10 lb. Not including wiring etc That is sooo heavy. . Looking at the history  from Lancair etc these old pumps are straight out of your outboard tilt lift from the 60's and migrated to aircraft at some point. Not exactly ideal.

Since I have the retracts I am keeping them, however I plan on trying a state of the art BLDC hydraulic pump (brushless DC) which weighs 0.9 lb in an attempt to cut weight from the installation. Here is the current installation. Ill update when I have the new pump installed. The goal here obviously will be to have my cake and eat it too.

I

Edited by lelievre12

I'd certainly be very interested to hear what you can achieve with some updated components. I have suspected there might be potential there.

(GMT+12)