Ok,  After a messed up situation of buying a LongEZ boat at OSH 2 years ago at the flymart - and then have someone STEAL it...  I kept looking.  Ran across a VariEze (the guy that sold me the LongEZ said he would keep his eye open for me - Thanks Trevor).  Spent many days talking with the seller and getting as many picts as possible (the seller seemed to be pretty knowledgable about these birds and I felt he was not with holding anything.  Took close up picts of things I asked for - as well as "issues" that he had found (and he wanted me to be aware of prior to buying).  Know the wing attach concerns - hoping since the plane was completed in 95 - that the builder had taken extra precautions to ensure goodness in this area!  Picts clearly show a coating - and zero corrosion.  Will have a LOT of eyes on this when I get it to my shop to start the punch list!

Have a guy in TX that does airplane parts hauling - and he said he will work me into his next trip up to my area (Charlotte).  So if anyone needs anything from around the Dallas, TX area or somewhere between TX and Charlotte, NC let me know and I will get you in touch with him and we can share the transport costs! (and I can get my project sooner!).  I will start a new thread and look forward to anyone providing feedback (and warnings!) as I get her back together.

Thanks for having me!

That's quite the introduction into a project!  Nothing you can do but look forward at this point.

Once you get the project in hands you can do a more thorough inspection.  Moving beyond that you still have a full project to complete even if only to "re-assemble".  If you're putting in a new/different engine then you have your hands even more full.  Best thing to do IMO is to get all this as close to your bedroom as possible.  Maybe your garage/shop then re-transport to the hangar?

Consider yourself introduced and thanks for sharing.  I moved this post to the Builder Progress section.

Looking forward to your updates!

Nah Jon, moving out of the house and into the hanger... 😉 

I have a good size shop and right off my house and spend MANY hours in it now restoring classic/antique cars.  I am fortunate to live 3 miles from my regular airport (but will be way too short to fly in/out of until a) I get REAL good at shorter takeoffs (and more important landings) with this slick plane b) cool temps (but know someone that is pretty active on a similar airport with a LongEZ (but he ONLY flys himself and not will full tanks and NEVER on a warm/hot day)..

Probably a good thing that I do not have it in front of me - it gives me great time to read and learn.  I know when I first get it - I am hopping in with the front level and making jet noises (probably for 4-5 hrs.).

Ok - still waiting on shipper to "arrange" the travel...  Took Marc suggestion to get a little history of the plane - contact FAA for all records...   They sent me a generic readme file explaining what all the  code mean - and this (see attached).

So if FAA says this is "original copy" - I can print this out and have it in the plane when I fly - right?

Airworthiness.pdf

Edited by mquinn6

I do believe you missed the side you wanted captured on that PDF -- it's blank.

Nope! 😉  That is what the FAA sent me...  I am going to see if I can track a person down at FAA records to see if that is all there is (or contact FSDO and see if they can pull it...)

I think this was the result of some automation - and no verification.  There had to be some other docs on this plane (it was a flying airplane - so it had to have some other sort of records at the FAA).  I know that experimental aircraft are "usually a little light" - but I think this is a bit on the extreme side!  LOL!!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, RaptorAirWorks said:

Is this a restoration?

RAW (Keith),

This is unknown at this time - the first thing I need to assess is what I got and what is good...  I am still waiting for the shipper to make arrangements.  They put a couple things together in a trip to make it more affordable to the customer.  I have been reading the HECK out of options - It may turn into a Vari-Long (wings and spar) - depending on what the analysis of the rest of the airframe is.   Stay tuned! (I hope it is not going to be much longer!!!)