I need a kick in the pants

Kraig

Ok,

I need some advice and/or admonishment here.

I just looked up on my builders log to see how many layers of spar cap tape I used on my canard to reply to a thread and discovered that the last time I worked on my plane was Feb. 8th, 2008. I am ashamed and shocked on how fast time flies.

My biggest reason for the delay is I need Matco brakes to finish my landing gear hoop in chapter 9, and a nose lift assembly to continue my work in chapter 13. Otherwise I am completed thru chapter 14, (the spar has been done since the end of '07).

I have been at a lack of funds to buy the brakes and lift, and don't see any extra spending money in the near future with this economy, so I am asking for a bit of advice on what you all think I could/should be doing in the interim to continue. I can figure it out myself, but would like any ideas from others that may have been down this road.

I have all the other materials to finish the nose, and I have made up most all of the bulkhead pieces but w/out at least a template for Jack's lift, I don't feel comfortable attatching the NG-30's and continuing with the nose. The brakes on the hoop can wait for a while, I know.

So, what say y'all. Do I start making a bunch of jigs for the wings and turttleback, or what?

Give me the kick I am looking for so I can stop procrastinating and get back to building.

Thanks,

Kraig

So, what say y'all. Do I start making a bunch of jigs for the wings and turttleback, or what?

Yes! Jigs, aluminum hard points (wings), nutplates stc.

Are you to a point where you can start the strakes?

Winglets?

Is your project at your house? (proximety helps)

Do the sandpaper trick!

(i.e. walk into the shop and pick up a piece of sandpaper ..... the rest happens on auto-pilot.)

You don't need the nosewheel to complete the nose. In fact I'm waiting to do the finished mounting of the nose wheel to the strut until I get it closer to done. That way I still have a slight margin for adjustment.

Break's over ..... get to work! :D

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Kraig said:

I have been at a lack of funds to buy the brakes and lift, and don't see any extra spending money in the near future with this economy, so I am asking for a bit of advice on what you all think I could/should be doing in the interim to continue.

I feel your pain. I also have had to slow a little on the build due to finances. I bought a motor and promised I would spend no more money until it is payed for. Luckily I do have a lot of foam and fiberglass. I started working on my wings. Then I am going to build both winglets. I need to buy some spar tape for the wing so I will be stuck there for a while until the motor gets payed for. You can always find something cheap to do it just takes creativity. Building alot of the stuff for the interior of the fuselage is pretty cheap and it takes a lot of time. Make the seats and armrests. Turtle back jig is pretty cheap to make. If you do nothing it will take that much longer to get to the flying stage. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Ok,

I need some advice and/or admonishment here.

I just looked up on my builders log to see how many layers of spar cap tape I used on my canard to reply to a thread and discovered that the last time I worked on my plane was Feb. 8th, 2008. I am ashamed and shocked on how fast time flies.

My biggest reason for the delay is I need Matco brakes to finish my landing gear hoop in chapter 9, and a nose lift assembly to continue my work in chapter 13. Otherwise I am completed thru chapter 14, (the spar has been done since the end of '07).

I have been at a lack of funds to buy the brakes and lift, and don't see any extra spending money in the near future with this economy, so I am asking for a bit of advice on what you all think I could/should be doing in the interim to continue. I can figure it out myself, but would like any ideas from others that may have been down this road.

I have all the other materials to finish the nose, and I have made up most all of the bulkhead pieces but w/out at least a template for Jack's lift, I don't feel comfortable attatching the NG-30's and continuing with the nose. The brakes on the hoop can wait for a while, I know.

Give me the kick I am looking for so I can stop procrastinating and get back to building.

Thanks,

Kraig

The nose lift is made replace the stock nose gear so if you continue the build of the NG 30s the nose lift will still fit. you could contact Jack and ask for the templets. you don't need the brakes to finish the main gear, all you need are the axles, if you bolt on and align the axles, the brakes just a bolt on the axles. do a little every day even if it is only 5 minutes and you will get finished. Like TMann said pick up a piece of sand paper. sand for 5 minutes, thats 5 minutes less sanding you will have to do to finish.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

I am similarly afflicted with a lack of funds and time.

I first checked with Jack Wilhemson if I would be able to install a manual system and then upgrade to the electric system later. He said that it was an easy upgrade.

I then bought a manual retract system (on the cheap) from someone who had upgraded and started building the nosegear box. I can now decide to either fly it this way (one day long long time from now) or upgrade later.

I am still not making as much progress as I would like to, but more than what I would have if I had waited.

I plan to procrastinate, but not now....

"me too"

I'm waiting on the nose and main gear ($$ issues) too. I did the main spar last summer, and the canard and elevators this winter. Both are dangling from the ceiling like ornaments, haven't been 'attached' to the tub in any way.

Next project(s) will be the wings, then the winglets (left detached), then start on the canopy.

For me, once I screw the main spar to the tub, I'll need to be at the hanger as the unit won't make it out the Assembly Factory door (read: my basement). I can match drill the wings to the spar (in my living room?) before I weld the spar to the fuse.

Not doing the nose and main gear isn't slowing my build down... right now.

Wings, main spar, winglets, start on the canopy. This should be a year/two of unit work, then maybe the economy will be better.

Don't forget you can make (or buy) some of the control bits too.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Ditto here. I am awaiting my canopy from Todd. I finally just started flipping through the plans for something to work on and decided to start on one of the side consoles.

Canopy is scheduled to arrive next week, I still don't know if I enjoy waiting for parts or despise it.

i ran out of wing tape so i moved on the the engine and started welding all the intake, runners, water stuff ,oil fill ,est.

my plane looks done but no lift yet, cash flow is....well you know !

i do have the brakes but no time to flip the bird over and drill the bow.

Steve M. Parkins

Well, I have had enough not building anything on the plane. I decided to go ahead and build the front nose as far as I dare without the lift, and generaly just get some things done that I can. I am amazed at how much I did in just a few hours, and how much more I can yet do without some of the expensive parts on hand.

I finished the shoulder supports in chapter 8 that I did not do yet. It is amazing just how much better this looks on the seatback now. I made, drilled, and installed the 4 seatbelt aluminum angle pieces, (no step), to the fuselage sides. Another bit done.

On to the nose. I put together all the bulkheads, NG-30's, etc., carefully aligning everything and making sure it was straight, square and had the correct 3" spacing needed for the lift. I then took the front rotisserie off of the fuselage for the first time in about 2 years. Made a platform under the fuse to hold it up. Re-leveled everything w/ a centerline marked on the floor and jigged up the nose assembly. Floxed and taped it in place and "Whalla", what a difference. I am so damned excited again I just can't stand it. If you can't tell, my nose is going to be 8" longer than plans. What do you think Edge?

Anyway, it is good to be building again and I am amazed at how much fun I had. I will not let lack of funds get in the way again. There is always something to do. I feel like I wasted a whole year not doing anything. Time will get away if you let it!

Thanks for all the encouragement,

Kraig

post-1020-141090167724_thumb.jpg

post-1020-141090167737_thumb.jpg

post-1020-141090167739_thumb.jpg

post-1020-141090167741_thumb.jpg

post-1020-141090167744_thumb.jpg

Do the sandpaper trick!

(i.e. walk into the shop and pick up a piece of sandpaper ..... the rest happens on auto-pilot.)

Wow! Kraig, if you did all that by just picking up a piece of sandpaper I have been doing my project all wrong!!

The nose lift is made replace the stock nose gear so if you continue the build of the NG 30s the nose lift will still fit.

To install the EZ-NoseLift, you position the mount/support plates by aligning the bottom hole. The other two holes are marked by inserting a .25 drill bit in the predrilled holes in NG30 and then checking to insure that you have proper (3/8")clearance from the edge prior to drilling through. I started my drilling in the nose with the plate clamped to the NG30 and then removed them, aligned using a AN4 bolt in the bottom hole and the top mount bushing and them drilled through both using a drill press.

After doing it, I now understand what Jack was trying to tell me. This is designed to work as a retroft so it really should not stop your progress at this point.

Like TMann said pick up a piece of sand paper.

In spite of a bunch of "relative work" (sorry .... old skydiving joke) I did get my EZ-Noselift mounted, as well as the NG30 and my prefabricated nose shell from FS22 to FS 0.0. I cut the top off of the shell to allow access while I finish out the hatch, rudder pedals and the final install of the nose lift.

............. it all started when I went down to the shop and picked up a piece of sandpaper ......... and then one thing led to another. :D

I'll post some pics after I get the FS 0.0 through FS -19 section attached.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Thanks for all the replies,

I realize now that I don't need the lift to do the nose. It would be nice and make things a bit easier, but by no means a show stopper as I was letting it be. I did drill the hole to mount the MKNG6 with a drill press before I made up the front box assembly, and used it as a reference while floxing it all together and mounting on the fuselage. Mounting the actuator should be a breaze really, as long as I don't make and install the lid.:P

Obviously I won't be adding the strut, etc till I get the lift, but I can continue with the floor and the sides, AS my pics below show. I have been wanting to do the nose for a while so my fuse doesnt look like an unfinished canoe anymore. Olus with the added 8" to the nose I am really liking what I see.

I will glass the floor in the morning and make up the dish out the sides also.

Feels good to be moving along.

Kraig

post-1020-141090167746_thumb.jpg

post-1020-141090167758_thumb.jpg

post-1020-14109016777_thumb.jpg

post-1020-141090167782_thumb.jpg

Most cool!

It looks like you're going gangbusters there!

I have been wanting to do the nose for a while so my fuse doesnt look like an unfinished canoe anymore.

Yes ... I know the feeling. Without the nose, it looks like a candidate for an episode on 'The Flintstones'! Yaba daba whatever.

Keep up the work!

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory