New member sends greetings from Oregon

Hello,

I am new to the Forums. I have been planning on building my own plane for several years now. I love the Canard design, but am a little unsure of the difficulty in assembling such a fine aircraft using composites. Until recently I had my heart set on a Vans RV9A, but then I ran across a Cozy Mark IV which fits my mission profile much better. (4-place fast X-country sucker of doom) I have recently moved out of my large house with itsy-bitsy garage in favor of a itsy-bitsy house with a HUGE shop specifically for the purpose of building an airplane.

Soo.. I am in the process of getting my shop ready to start the build. I plan on purchasing my plans this month and start with the "Pre-build" stuff. But. In the mean time. Is there someone in the Portland-Salem-Yamhill area who is currently building and wouldn't mind some help?

Thanks,

Its not that its difficult, its only that it takes a long time. The RV's and the EZ's both have great online builder support, but the RV may be a faster build. There are Cozy builders flying in two years or less, but most take longer.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Hello,

I am new to the Forums. I have been planning on building my own plane for several years now. I love the Canard design, but am a little unsure of the difficulty in assembling such a fine aircraft using composites. Until recently I had my heart set on a Vans RV9A, but then I ran across a Cozy Mark IV which fits my mission profile much better. (4-place fast X-country sucker of doom) I have recently moved out of my large house with itsy-bitsy garage in favor of a itsy-bitsy house with a HUGE shop specifically for the purpose of building an airplane.

Soo.. I am in the process of getting my shop ready to start the build. I plan on purchasing my plans this month and start with the "Pre-build" stuff. But. In the mean time. Is there someone in the Portland-Salem-Yamhill area who is currently building and wouldn't mind some help?

Thanks,

im in tacoma wa and ill feed ya

Steve M. Parkins

Hello,

Thanks,

I'm in Tacoma WA and ill feed ya.

if you think you mite, i could plan on some fun stuff or some hard stuff

right now i could hot wire a wing and carve the bend(mod)

or flip the bird and drill in the landing bushings either or,

Steve M. Parkins

Its not that its difficult, its only that it takes a long time. The RV's and the EZ's both have great online builder support, but the RV may be a faster build. There are Cozy builders flying in two years or less, but most take longer.

Yea.. I love the RV's they are a Nice airplane and I deal with them a lot. But I just like composite aircraft. I was all set to go RV until I found the Cozy. Not to mention, with a new member to my family I need the extra seat.

I guess the big problem with building composites in Oregon is the heck of a Heating bill you need to get the Epoxy to flow.

Taking 1000+ more hours isn't a big deal for me. I am going to enjoy build. In the mean time.. I will fly Cessna's and Pipers.

Thanks Steve! Sometimes I am up that direction for work. I have a plant that is south of Tacoma about 20 minutes which I go to on occasion. What part are you currently working on?

i work on lots at the same time, the things in the post and i need to bolt on the engine and start welding up some enconel? and 321, build intake.

i could go on,micro. but to answer your question.. wheel pant molds

Steve M. Parkins

Hey Windwalker,

I'm just across town in Gresham. I'm not building a Cozy, however I'm working on the Open/LongEZ and a single place composite called the Personal Cruiser. If you want to get some epoxy on you and cut some out some ailerons with a Fein tool I could put you to work this weekend. The boss is working Sat and Sun so I get some extra garage time. Give me a shout any time. 503-491-5040

Bruce

Best regards,

Bruce Sturgill

http://www.pursuitofflight.com

Windwalker said

Taking 1000+ more hours isn't a big deal for me.

Dont under estimate your time it will probably be over 3000 hours of work. I have 1300 hours in my bird and my airframe is only 75% done. I dont work slow either. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Windwalker,

Welcome to the forums! You are right about builder support being phenomenal. Have you joined Marc's Cozy mailing list? If not you should. Between this forum and the mailing list, you will not find a better support network.

AS far as difficulty goes, I was in the same boat you are. I started my project 3 months ago. Made a couple of mistakes along the way, but thats the beauty of composites - almost any mistake is repairable. I am now finishing up Chapter 6 and I can tell you, it is the most addicting thing I have ever done. We just had a discussion on the mailing list about who is building these birds. It doesn't take being an engineer if you stick with the plans. When you deviate, it helps to be one, or seek out expert advice before proceeding, though.

As far as 1000+ hours? More like 2500-3000+ hours! Years are determined by how OFTEN you work on the plane, but hours are hours.

Again, welcome! When you get the plans read them thoroughly a few times, then jump right in and get your, uh, hands wet! For what its worth, you have a great builder to help you out with Steve being close!

Jim

Cozy MKIV #1565 (Chapter 6)

Charlotte, NC

...... just to add this:

Most people talk in terms of hours of build time vs. months/years time. There are many projects that have been in process for YEARS but possibly worked on for only weeks. Jack Morrison built his e-Racer in 18 months ........ and in 2000, it was a Lindy winner at Oshkosh.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Taking 1000+ more hours isn't a big deal for me.

I believe he was referring to the fact that it may take an additional 1000 hours extra time to build a Cozy, vs. an RV. Extra time, not total time.

Windwalker, you are very fortunate to have builders such as Steve and Bruce in your area. They can be a big help getting started.

I am going to enjoy build.

Great! Lots of builders really do enjoy the build, and I am definately one of them.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

I believe he was referring to the fact that it may take an additional 1000 hours extra time to build a Cozy, vs. an RV

Good catch Andrew. I didn't read it like that the first time. I just didn't want a new builder to start under false pretenses, and be let down later on!

Now buy those plans and get building Windwalker!

Jim

Cozy MKIV #1565 (Chapter 6)

Charlotte, NC

I can't help myself....I gotta say it....."You will only regret not starting sooner".

So, procrastnate later and get started. Also, you will discover a bit down the road that you will be 90% done with 70% to go. I have had a moslty completed airplane for a few years, however, all the wire, instrument, interior and engine (even more so with an alternative engie), takes up huge time without the perk of having a dramaticaly new tangible part to marvel at. Heck, I remember how anxious I would be going out the next morning to rip the peel ply off a newly curred part. It was like a miny Christmas or a delivery from UPS <g>.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

I wasn't aware of all the great builders in the Area. Bruce, I would love to help out. a Long-EZ is the only Canard I have seen up close. There is a gentleman in McMinnville who has one that I drool on, on occasion. Sunday's I work at the FBO in McMinnville fueling airplanes. Saturdays and Fridays I tend to have free. This weekend I am going to be doing Wifely obligations but I am game for anytime after work on the week days or Saturday next week.

I am thinking my time is probably going to be in the 5000+ hours to complete. I think I want to stick with the plans with possibly 6 changes (Electric Nose wheel, Electric Barn Door brake, recessed Door Handle, Tip lights, Cozy Girrrl J-hinges, and I have an idea for a slider canopy that I want to check on the feasibility of. If it looks too hard, I would just can it for a tip up or side open.

I can't help myself....I gotta say it....."You will only regret not starting sooner".

So, procrastnate later and get started. Also, you will discover a bit down the road that you will be 90% done with 70% to go. I have had a moslty completed airplane for a few years, however, all the wire, instrument, interior and engine (even more so with an alternative engie), takes up huge time without the perk of having a dramaticaly new tangible part to marvel at. Heck, I remember how anxious I would be going out the next morning to rip the peel ply off a newly curred part. It was like a miny Christmas or a delivery from UPS <g>.

All the best,

Chris

I'll procrastinate tomorrow. The only reason I am waiting to buy the plans is due to my budget. The first of the month is always a little tight with all my bills due.

Stupid question.. Is Peel Ply reusable? Or do you go through it like sheets at a bed wetters convention?

I did have some peel ply that was reusable a few years back. It cost a lot more and wasn't as effective the second or so time around, could have been operator error, by way of too much epoxy, not sure. Yes, sheets at a bed wetters national convention run off.

Al Wick has his Cozy MKIV at Scappoose, a great resource of information and all around good guy. Nice looking and a good flying plane, his was the first Cozy I had the privilege of flying. You'll find him on the Cozy List and the canard-aviators@yahoogroups.com and a couple of others.

I'm headed over to Redmond tomorrow to visit with the Lancair folks, so maybe next Friday or Sat we can get some building time in. The sooner we get you started, the quicker you'll start cutting glass and spreading some epoxy of your own.

For a little inspiration go have a look at this slide show. The worlds greatest canards!

http://picasaweb.google.com/BookofCanards/TheBigBookOfCanards#slideshow

Bruce

Best regards,

Bruce Sturgill

http://www.pursuitofflight.com

I wasn't aware of all the great builders in the Area. Bruce, I would love to help out. a Long-EZ is the only Canard I have seen up close. There is a gentleman in McMinnville who has one that I drool on, on occasion. Sunday's I work at the FBO in McMinnville fueling airplanes.

That must be me, as far as I know my Long-EZ is the only one based at MMV. Have we met?

There are a couple VEZs and a Cozy flying out of UAO, and a Long-EZ now based at 7S5 - a transplant from Idaho.

Eccentric - 13 year build, 10th year flying.

I'll procrastinate tomorrow. The only reason I am waiting to buy the plans is due to my budget. The first of the month is always a little tight with all my bills due.

Right, we all have bills due near the 1st ;)

Buy the plans. It's an investment, they can always be resold. Buy the plans.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Rickh we might have met.. I am the tall guy who runs the fuel trucks on Sundays. Last Sunday I noticed your Long-EZ was grazing in front of your hanger. I drove up to see if you were there; I couldn't find you so I took a walk around your plane and admired it. I will be working again this Sunday.. It's suppose to be good weather. If your out and about I will come and introduce myself to you.

Here's one that will save you some $$$. It came off of the ca-list:

> Cozy MK IV plans(license agrement #0404) for sale,(lost interest).

> Sections 1 and 2, +two owners manuals, all the news letters #34 to

> #91, one set of full sized drawings, all in unused condition,

> Bulkheads also if interested,(thats as far as I got on the

> project), used Proset 125/229. Asking $400.00 + shipping,

> negotiable on price.

> Contact Brent Thompson (208) 921-3775

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Rickh we might have met...

It's possible, I get everywhere on ma motor scooter.

But, I'm still building, I'm near Estes Park, and ma scooter is still winterized :)

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Here's one that will save you some $$$. It came off of the ca-list:

> Cozy MK IV plans(license agrement #0404) for sale,(lost interest).

> Sections 1 and 2, +two owners manuals, all the news letters #34 to

> #91, one set of full sized drawings, all in unused condition,

> Bulkheads also if interested,(thats as far as I got on the

> project), used Proset 125/229. Asking $400.00 + shipping,

> negotiable on price.

> Contact Brent Thompson (208) 921-3775

Excellent! Email Sent. I saw the note on the Cozy Lists. Thanks.