How long do your Fein Blades last??

GuinnessGuy74

For those of you who own a Fein Multimaster, how long do your HSS Segmented blades last?

I went the cheap route and bought a Dremel MultiMax (got it for $89 so it was a no brainer for me). The tool itself is wonderful, and I can see why people say a Fein is a MUST HAVE. The blades are only $8 but dont last very long. Heck, I am only on chapter 5 but I have already run through 3 blades. They aren't very good.

I am wondering if I should invest in a Fein blade. I know there is no adapter Dremel makes for the Fein blades, but it can be done by using a portion of a dremel blade as a washer.

Just curious. Thanks

Jim

Cozy MKIV #1565 (Chapter 6)

Charlotte, NC

Sounds like they supply the "copy" version of the blades with the Dremel. A real FEIN blade will last close to the whole project as long as you dont drop it.

I bought 2 cheap ones in Hong Kong once and they had a very short life. Better off paying the $ and getting the real deal.

Bingo - Mine has been great for the 2+ years I've been working on the plane - but I dropped it last week and broke off a piece. It still is usable, but I'm going to order a new one anyway and have it on the shelf for when it's needed. I have the money now - might not have it in a couple of years!

It really is a great tool! :cool:

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Thanks for the help guys. I am definitely going to grab one of the fein blades. I always find a use for this tool. It really is great, but the blades dont stand up to much at all. Not even worth $6-8 per blade.

Just my two cents.....thanks for yours!

Jim

Charlotte, NC

There are cheaper "wood" blades for the fein. Don't use them for FG work, I trashed mine in short order when I couldn't find my HSS and said "just once won't hurt it". My HSS is the original one with no signs of wear. I used it to cut a hole in the floor of my house too, for a laundry chute installation, cutting drywall, all sorts of stuff.

Craig K.

Cozy IV #1457

building chapter seven!

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html

HSS: Stands for High speed steel. It is used in drill bits end mills and other cutting tools. It is not at good as Carbide but much better than the cheaper stuff china is selling. My official Fein Blade fell over a year ago and broke I just turned it a little and am still using the same blade after 2 years. I bought 2 blades on Ebay for about $80.00 so I still have one to go. The cheaper blades are probably cheaper steel that is case hardened and dont last very long. You do have to go through quite a few $6.00 blades to catch up to $80.00 STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Its a serious blade, avoid overheating it and it will last for a long long time.

Works great on household copper plumbing, not enough room to swing a mini tube cutter? Fien tool goes through like a hot knife.

Oak flooring? go for it.

Trim ends of spar cap?... oh yeah.

Just don't put a brand new blade up to your face to demo how it won't cut soft tissue, I forgot about burrs.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

• 2 weeks later...

Its quiet here today so let me expand on this thread further. I wound up throwing away my Dremel blades. They were garbage. One wouldn't last a days work on glass.

I took everyones advice (thanks by the way) and purchased a Fein Supercut blade for my Dremel MultiMax (note: Supercut. The regular Fein blades do not fit a Dremel MultiMax.). I bought the HSS flush cut circular one.....whoa Nelly! Like a knife through warm butter!! I LOVED this tool before (you MUST get one if you are building IMHO Fein or Dremel or Bosch, jury is out), but I ADORE this tool now. What took me 15 mins or so of what seemed more like grinding instead of cutting, now took me all of 30 secs. And the fact that it is a flsuh cut blade is super handy.

Can't thank everyone enough for the advice....moving on to Chapter 6!!

Jim

Charlotte, NC

Have to agree with all here that the Fein HSS blade is super tough, and brittle. Dropped it the day I got he Fein from Wicks, and it broke into two pieces. I ordered a replacement and while I was waiting for it to come I put the 1/2 broken blade in and haven't looked back since. I guess I'll leave the new blade to my heirs.

Anyone have experience with the Harbor Freight cheapo knockoff blades?

Larry Hendrick

Canardiologist

Cozy Mark IV Started 2/12/2009 - Now on Chap. 6

http://web.me.com/lhendrick/Cozy_MkIV/Welcome.html

Just to further sing the praises of the Fein blade. You really don't have any idea of how hard it is to cut glass/epoxy when you use it since it goes all day. Take a metal cutting bandsaw, you can cut steel (slowly) and aluminum faster and repeat for a long time. Put a piece of glass/ epoxy through the blade and kiss it's metal cutting qualities good-by.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

I purchased the Harbor Freight version since I am all but done with my fiberglass work. From the sound of things I would have relished the real deal tool waaaaay earlier in the build. The HB seems ok but I am not sure really how to best use it. When I cut curred glass with what I think is the proper blade it did a good job. I guess need to look for the Fein infomercial online (I have seen parts of it on TV late at night a couple of times)

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...