Wing and Canard brads

gullikson

The part of the plans for the wings and canard that is making me scratch my head is where you are putting the trailing edge peel ply on and holding it in place with small brads, tacks, or staples prior to glassing the lower skin. Maybe it's self-evident when you get to the point were you are cutting the fish tail off the upper surface but.... what do you do with the brads, tacks, or nails.... dig them out of the lower skin, shave the pin portion off flush with the fiberglass ply or what? What have you canard and wing veterans done about this? I'm prepping for wings and canards and this has got me wondering.

They come off with the peel ply.

Thanks Marc, of course they come off with the peel ply. This is one of those infrequent(thankfully) situations where I knew exactly how the sequencing worked but for some reason I had the notion that the brads/tacks went through the lower skin, even though I looked at the drawings showing it otherwise, over and over. Boy, it hurts overlooking the plainly obvious! Thanks again,

Greg

I *just* pulled the peel ply off the trailing edge of my canard last night.

I used staples from my desk stapler, inserted them one leg at a time else the foam dented.

Try *REAL* hard to have a straight edge on the peel ply, if you cut the strip from a bulk roll (I do).

Shoot for no more than 5/8" on the fishtail, else you'll be pulling up a wad of foam, or digging out remaining fuzzies :irked:

Saw the tail somewhat close (don't sweat this) like just shy of your staple length, then score the foam at the 1/2" mark w/ your knife. Now pull up the peel ply.

Umm, I had some micro (from skinning the bottom) ooger down on the trailing edge, and it's somewhat of a pain squeeging the fish tail. I used the top edge of my squeege for this though, it had a nice hefty radius. YMMV...

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

The part of the plans for the wings and canard that is making me scratch my head is where you are putting the trailing edge peel ply on and holding it in place with small brads, tacks, or staples prior to glassing the lower skin. Maybe it's self-evident when you get to the point were you are cutting the fish tail off the upper surface but.... what do you do with the brads, tacks, or nails.... dig them out of the lower skin, shave the pin portion off flush with the fiberglass ply or what? What have you canard and wing veterans done about this? I'm prepping for wings and canards and this has got me wondering.

G'day

I used strait pins and they didn't all come out when I removed the peel ply. I just sanded them out or pulled them with needle nose.

Hope this is some help;

Jeff

Glad you posted that. I was kicking that idea around as a possibility.

I cut my cores last night with the assistance of another builder who lives 2 doors down from me. Depending on how it goes, I may try this out within the next week.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done