Voyages in the Chipboard Cozy - my mockup

Was wondering how to distribute the results of my trials of the various cabin modifications I have read about here and in other forums. Please view the results here:

http://thespodplane.googlepages.com/introduction

It is as rough as hessian undies but has really helped me to nut out some of the issues involved. Despite being enormous, I don't think I need a lot of the "big-boy" mods I have come across.

post-451-141090161878_thumb.jpg

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Spod,

You guys look like the airframe was meant for you. This will give many people who are looking at the Cozy an excellent reference point. Did you change much in the dimensions? It looks like your TBack is very tall- You could wear a a 10 gallon hat in there [maybe a 20!]...so I am wondering what else you might have 'changed' for your masonite mobile.

Also, some ideas of peoples sizes and weights of the occupants might be helpful for prospective builders to scale on.

Looks great.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

The kid's enthusiasm is clearly oozing from every poor

Comment when he saw the website, "OH! Great, what if one of mates sees that???"

Did you change much in the dimensions? It looks like your TBack is very tall

I think I mentioned all the changes in the 'details on the mockup' page, I was trying out different stuff. Stop Press: I just noticed two of the links on the intro pointed to the same page, these details are there now: http://thespodplane.googlepages.com/themockup2 Did I mention I have no idea? The INSIDE of the hollow frame on the headrests represents the inside of the canopy/tb. I did that so I could sight between it and the firewall to estimate headroom for the back seat. For the earlier solid frame, the outside represents the inside surface of the canopy/tb. Pilot side is extended to the longeron, stbd side is std, both are mounted 1.75" high, (Nat is cool with 1" high).

Pilot seatback is std, stbd side is 1.5" wide, to represent an aircraft widened by 3".

some ideas of peoples sizes and weights of the occupants

Me 6' 3" 105kg, Grant 6' 85kg, Craig 5' 10" 60kg, Viki 5' [are you kidding, she'll have me swonickles if I post the weight. I had to promise not to tell anybody, even her, before she'd let me weigh her for the w & b!]

Mark Spedding - Spodman
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman

The mind boggles! :)

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

Might be an additional data point, might not :)

Phil is about 18 stones five; I'm about 11 stones. We're both about 1.75m.

The seating was 'compact', though Phil said it felt wider than a 172.

Rick

post-4539-141090161892_thumb.jpg

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Looks nice and, erm, cozy! If I understand the Jurassic weight units correctly for the 3 aircraft I have numbers for you are at a zero fuel c of g of 98.4, 96.7 or 97.5. Two out of three aren't bad, as the big guy says.

Swonickles? You guys should get into the Goons:o

Mark Spedding - Spodman
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman

I have looked your web site over carefully. If only more people would check things as well as you have. I think you have overlooked one consideration, Headsets. I have been in a Cozy and a Velocity and the the extra room the Velocity gives in sideways headroom for you headsets is significant. The Cozy is very cramped with headsets on. I also had a Vari-Eze and that was a bit tight with headsets. I am not big, 5'7" 190# but I will take my canopy out to the longerons when I build. Go find a Cozy and a velocity, get in, put on a headset and close them up. Better yet get a ride if you can. My 2 cw.

Terry