Where to move?

Aiman

Mojave's hard to get hangar space at - gotta know the right folks and be in the right place at the right time. :-).

What do you need a hanger for at Mojave? It never rains, and is never cold.

All you should need is a couple of gallons of Coppertone instead of wax. :D

What do you need a hanger for at Mojave? It never rains, and is never cold.

It's been raining and 30 - 35 degrees for the past two weeks :-). We had 4 inches of snow in our backyard in Tehachapi last weekend (for a day and a half). But mostly, you need a hangar so that you don't get blown away by the 40 kt. winds, or so that your airplane doesn't get sandblasted away by the 40 kt. winds blowing the sand/dust from the surrounding desert. Or so that your plane doesn't get dented by the 50 lb. tumbleweeds going by at 40 kts. Or so that YOU don't get dented by the 50 lb. tumbleweeds going by at 40 kts.

All you should need is a couple of gallons of Coppertone instead of wax. :D

Yeah, the sun beats up paint pretty good in the summer :-). Would that suntan lotion had any effect :-).

It's been raining and 30 - 35 degrees for the past two weeks :-). We had 4 inches of snow in our backyard in Tehachapi last weekend (for a day and a half). But mostly, you need a hangar so that you don't get blown away by the 40 kt. winds, or so that your airplane doesn't get sandblasted away by the 40 kt. winds blowing the sand/dust from the surrounding desert. Or so that your plane doesn't get dented by the 50 lb. tumbleweeds going by at 40 kts. Or so that YOU don't get dented by the 50 lb. tumbleweeds going by at 40 kts.

Well that sounds like a paradise compared to Nebraska. huh???:confused:

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Well that sounds like a paradise compared to Nebraska. huh???:confused:

For nine months out of the year, the temperature in Tehachapi will be between 60F and 90F, with humidity levels in the 30% range. It will rain once or twice in that time period, and the sky will have clouds in it maybe 30% of the time, but it will be VFR weather for all but one day of the nine months. For the other three months, it will be between 40F and 60F 80% of the time, and VFR weather 70% - 80% of the time.

In Mojave, add 10F - 15F to the temps, and increase the VFR percentage to over 95% - maybe 10 days/year aren't VFR for the whole day.

There are mountains, deserts, snow, heat, cold, national parks, cities, and whatever else one might want within a couple hour drive or flight. This is a wonderful place for folks that like to fly.

^ Interesting site. Filled out a profile... it gave me 4 pages worth of suggestions.. 2 of which I might consider as well. They collect a bit more personal information than I feel comfortable with giving though, and they have you fill out a marketing survey before they give you your answers. I reeeeeealy don't like sites that do that.. so they got a lot of fake info. heh.

Austin, Tx is looking good right now because of the plethora of tech jobs. So is Tulsa, Tucson, and Vegas, baby, Vegas.

^ Interesting site....

Weird. Apparently Warrenn "Cozy" Buffett (sic) is best suited to Filer, ID or The Peoples Republik of Boulder.

ID towns came in at four, MT at three, WY and CO with two. And Saranc Lake of all things.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Dude... seriously... Saranac Lake is GORGEOUS. I spend every single summer vacation in the Adirondack mountains, hiking or mountainbiking. You could not ask for a more beautiful, serene area.

I would seriously consider Saranac Lake or Lake Placid, but there are almost zero opportunities for an IT professional there. Unless I want to be like a computer fix-it handy-guy, unfortunately there isn't steady good money in that.

The airports up there ROCK though. As long as you dont mind ridge effect and tubulence caused by the surrounding mountains....

Lake Placid Airport http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLKP

Adirondack Regional Airport http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSLK

Dude... seriously... Saranac Lake is GORGEOUS. I spend every single summer vacation in the Adirondack mountains, hiking or mountainbiking. You could not ask for a more beautiful, serene area.

Yes I can. It's called Allenspark, CO :)

A bit generous (I mean liberal) to the east, it's quite nice otherwise. Punch in KLMO if you're curious about ridge uplifts and such ;)

I buzzed through the Adirondacks last summer on the scooter, two lane roads whenever possible. Drop dead beautiful country, but most everyone seemed in a daze, stand-offish, blank stare. Felt as if the norm was to lock my bike up every place I stopped, even if just for lunch at the local diner, a notion completely foreign to me.

With IT, you should be able to base from anywhere, unless a site visit is needed. High speed internet (except at Casa Hall) is pretty universal. And given the Cozy (any canard actually) is a distance machine...

Albuquerque area? Southern AZ? Helena? S. PA? Look at the climate zones for planting if weather is a concern. Some places in MT and ID aren't as cold as the news make them out to be. CO too. All three require an acceptance of firearms though. Except for Boulder... and Denver ;)

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.