Where to move?

Aiman

So, I have been thinking about packing up shop and moving somewhere... ANYWHERE other than this rotten cesspool called upstate New York. One of my (odd) criteria is access to a quality GA airport, and the possibility of renting hangar space (or a whole hanger even)

Some of the towns that I have looked at are:

KENV - Wendover, UT

KTSP - Tehachapi, CA

KMHV - Mojave, CA

My line of work permits me to telecommute, and I travel a little as well. Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to move SXSW (south by southwest) from where I am currently. I am sick of this sh*tty weather and peoples even sh*ttier attitudes ;)

So, I have been thinking about packing up shop and moving somewhere... ANYWHERE other than this rotten cesspool called upstate New York. One of my (odd) criteria is access to a quality GA airport, and the possibility of renting hangar space (or a whole hanger even)

Some of the towns that I have looked at are:

KTSP - Tehachapi, CA

KMHV - Mojave, CA

There's a hangar for rent at TSP for $550/mo. - 50x42. I've been considering it with 3 others, but probably won't go for it. There are a few other REALLY nice ones that are a lot more, and are bigger, too. Mojave's hard to get hangar space at - gotta know the right folks and be in the right place at the right time.

If you want CHEAP hangars, move to Nebraska, North Dakota, or some other state where no one wants to live anymore - TSP/MHV, while sort of in the middle of nowhere, is too close to LA to be cheap :-).

If you want CHEAP hangars, move to Nebraska, North Dakota, or some other state where no one wants to live anymore.

Aughhhhh, you're just jealous! (T hangars are usually around $100/mo.):D

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Okay.. TSP and MHV are out..

What about historic Wendover? I believe that it's county owned, and the economy is utter garbage there. That would be perfect for me, really. I could rent a whole hangar out there. Build the plane, AND run my business from it..

Where is Nebrasky, do they even have airports?? ;) ;) Suggestions? I'd like to have a full size hangar if possible.

I'm starting my search on http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm because they have the little known airfields that would probably be the cheapest..

Where is Nebrasky, do they even have airports?? ;)

Ask Warren Buffet. It's funny when he and Gates make the press for eating at the Dairy Queen (Warren owns it.) Anyway, he still lives here (because the real estate is cheap!)

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Our local town of Wise, VA, has a nice airport with $100 t-hangars. KLNP. If you live a few miles out of town, you can get a nice (smaller) home for less than $100k. Nice little four-year college (only satellite campus of the Univ. of Va.) here in town. The people here are really nice, and their ancestors are from all over the globe (coal mining roots). Taxes here are low (mine are $400 a year, nice two level home). My daughter is in Kindergarten, and the shools here do very well, with happy teachers.

My parents live near Morristown, TN. Nice airport there too, same type situation as here.

Lots of beautiful, inexpensive places in the USA, most with nice people.

BUT, you may not like it anywhere. It all depends on You:)

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Dont even think of moving to Idaho. People all have red necks. Cows cause traffic jam. Guns are manditory. Tree huggers are shot on site. You can see your neighbor 90 miles away most days. Local airport only has 8,000 runway. The wind blows from the west wich means Utah Sucks and Calif. blows. Wendover is a nice place and when you get bored of the sand and the wind YOu can go gamble all your money away. :D Steve

Lovin LIfe in Idaho!!!!!!!

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Dont even think of moving to Idaho. People all have red necks. Cows cause traffic jam. Guns are manditory. Tree huggers are shot on site. You can see your neighbor 90 miles away most days. Local airport only has 8,000 runway. The wind blows from the west wich means Utah Sucks and Calif. blows. Wendover is a nice place and when you get bored of the sand and the wind YOu can go gamble all your money away. :D Steve

You mean we'd have to add a turret to our silo?

...Chrissi (California Tree Hugger in a state of Missouri)

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Tree huggers are shot on site.

Are you joking?:confused: After visiting Idaho during September '06, which my wife and I truly enjoyed, we were so happy to be back home in Virginia where people have something to talk about besides the salmon and wolves. BUT, it was a wonderful place, and all the people we met were very nice.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

Washington (state). Friendliest people I ever met. Nice mild weather, no snow except in the mountains. Even the cops are nice. My uncle and family moved there with Boeing years ago. Laid off engineer turned insurance salesman. Big ranch, horses, cousins turned cowgirls. Nice scenic flying views. Every home has a view of the ocean, Olympic, or Mt. Ranier. Check out the areas outside Seattle. Try Enumclaw.

You can move in and share a hanger with Steve Parkins.

I actually spoke with Jim Petersen, the manager/president of Wendover (kenv), and he seemed pretty accomodating, so, I am going to look into taxation (business and personal), housing, and job opportunities, grants, etc out there.

So far:

Airport: pass

Internet: pass (though wireless, there are 2 providers)

Taxation: unknown

Housing: unknown

jobs: unknown (i can telecommute though)

business: uknown (grants, tax breaks, etc)

Any of you familiar with the movie "Deliverance" ?

:irked: I'd like to avoid areas like that, if at all possible.

</dueling banjos>

That was the first thing I told Greg when I started working for Blue Mountain (border of West Virginia and East Tenn)

"I hear three notes on a banjo and I'm out of here!" :P

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

That was the first thing I told Greg when I started working for Blue Mountain (border of West Virginia and East Tenn)

"I hear three notes on a banjo and I'm out of here!" :P

...Chrissi

Here ya go Chrissi...http://absastro.tripod.com/bluegrass/dueling2.htm :D

Oh, I almost forgot....(aileron).

Best Regards,

John D. Wages

N694CZ (reserved)

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/johnwages/default.htm

Colorado isn't too bad, hangers are 'reasonable', snipped this from Yahoo! weather FYI:

Current conditions as of 7:53 am MST

Cloudy/Windy

Feels Like: -52°

Barometer: 29.29 in and rising

Humidity: 72%

Visibility: Unlimited

Dewpoint: -20°

Wind: WNW 70 mph

Lots of opportunities to practice crosswind maneuvers...

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.