Wicks got Wheels!

Neverquit

These are the Gerdes nosewheels. However, correct me if I'm wrong Girrrls... these wheels will need custom spacers and polishing, CG Products is currently prepping for a production run. See: http://www.cozygirrrl.com/nosewheels.htm

OTOH, Matco wheels are another option... not sure what is the price differential. Does anyone know?

Remi Khu

Cozy Mk IV

Plan #1336

Yes, there are a few hundred new Gerdes wheels still in existance. They were in sets of three's, one nosewheel and two mains with cast in bosses for the brake disk. The nosewheels get sold off quickly because there is no use for the mains on any design but the plain nosewheel is in demand for big tail draggers. The mains have to be machined to remove the bosses then faced off so that they do not have three big lumps in the sides. We run that as a sub program then machine and polish them the same as the nosewheels.

Matco offers a few versions of the nosewheel, you want the one with tapered roller bearings, that is unfortunately the expensive one (about $108). The cheap ones (about $80) have a weight carrying capability that is within limits but it has sealed ball bearings instead. It would not be a good idea to try to fit an internal spacer to the sealed ball bearing version because you would inevitably put a hard side thrust preload on the bearings in one direction or the other, just begging for a failure.

As to the Gerdes "needing" our internal spacer and polishing... the machining and polishing are nice, a HUGE improvement in appearance and some of the castings are almost oval so they have to run better after our treatment.

The spacer? Well to play devil's advocate there have been many running around out there for years without them. Its a question of "It appears to work"... yes it does. If you have a flying plane, pull the wheel off and check two things, first the two outer spacers for signs of wear, second the bolt for signs of wear. In both cases you will probably find both will make it clear that the wheel is at times rotating on the bolt and or rotating on the spacers, when it should only ever rotate on the bearings. If thats ok with you, then pack your bearings with flox next time you do your annual since you don't mind right? :D

...Chrissi

post-11-141090157802_thumb.jpg

post-11-141090157804_thumb.jpg

post-11-141090157806_thumb.jpg

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

To whom it may concern, whoever reposted my last message elsewhere please remove it from that site immediatly. While I do appreciate you support and enthusiasm (thank you!), if I had wanted my words spread around in print I would have done it myself.

I suppose one way to prevent it is to not contribute at all, is that what you wish?

Christine

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

These are the Gerdes nosewheels. However, correct me if I'm wrong Girrrls... these wheels will need custom spacers...

1) Is dis sumpin I'll need sooner/later?

2) (http://groveaircraft.com/49-1adwg.html for reference) Similar bearing setup on M/C wheels. Though one side is captive w/ a snap ring, and there *is* a spacer between the ball bearings. The other bearing will float (to a point).

So as I read the Cozy nose wheel, outer spacers are used, and the axle nuts are clamped down guddentite. An inner spacer would then be required (as I read all this). Width not too terribly critical (= to or wider than the cast in stops though), parallelism is. Unless I missed the boat.

3) See #1

(edit)

4) Scratch all that, the Wicks catalog shows TAPERED roller bearings... what a pain :-/ (hmm, wonder if a ball bearing will cross reference...)

(end edit)

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

I second Jason's motion- for cryin out loud support our 'girrrls'...good stuff...fair prices...buy from them.:)

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

To whom it may concern, whoever reposted my last message elsewhere please remove it from that site immediatly. While I do appreciate you support and enthusiasm (thank you!), if I had wanted my words spread around in print I would have done it myself.

I suppose one way to prevent it is to not contribute at all, is that what you wish?

Christine

I concur Girrrls... although this is a Cozy canard community, there are some who will cross-post to the other unscrupulously unethical forum... in the interest of information dissemination. It is with a heavy heart that I, too, insist that passage of editable information be refrained from dissemination without prior consent from the author(s). That is, of course, at the risk of losing the input from a valuable vendor.

Remi Khu

Cozy Mk IV

Plan #1336

I second Jason's motion- for cryin out loud support our 'girrrls'...good stuff...fair prices...buy from them.:)

:confused: :confused: Where did you read I wasn't? I've seen some of their stuff at RR, top notch.

But what if I have my own facilities? :)

Rick

Two things, if you have the means to do it your self, then do it, thats sometimes the fun part if you are into that kind of thing. On the other hand, thanks for the support..literally this is our sole means of support.

Second, on reposting. I did not mean to come down so heavy handed other than to say please stop it, please correct it. Drew kindly took care of it for me.

I am honored that someone thought anything I said was worth passing on to another venue. I think the best thing to do these days is to paraphrase or make mention of the gist of the message and post a URL to get them to the source, and mention the author as well. Can't get in trouble with anybody that way.

Thanks for all the kind words, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Don't you think it's a bit much to call John Slade's forum "unscrupulously unethical"?

I think there may have been a misunderstanding as to the destination. John Slade is a good friend of ours and I have no issue with him or his forum. In a phone conversation I did voice my concerns about starting yet another forum and he had his own reasons for doing so. Jon Matcho had already made us a nice offer to be here and we took him up on it. You have no idea how busy we are at times and the last thing I need is yet another site to read and post to so I do not.

Anyhow, thanks for the concern and support.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Two things, if you have the means to do it your self, then do it, thats sometimes the fun part if you are into that kind of thing. On the other hand, thanks for the support..literally this is our sole means of support.

Worldcom, GM, and Nortel gains are my income :irked:

Seriously, after RR, you must know I'll be giving you some bidness, just not all.

Tip for all: long on RAD and GPS, short FXI.

Rick