LE Firewall Drawing

Cozy Girrrl

Canardians,

I am looking for an ACCURATE copy of the LE firewall, the plans version without any enhancements, I have a hard copy but need a drawing or picture file I can use in my CAD system to finish some instructions I am preparing.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Open-ez files and the files from www.EZ.org are not accurate reproductions of the plans firewall.

I can work from almost any file type.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

The Open-ez files and the files from www.EZ.org are not accurate reproductions of the plans firewall.

What?! How have you determined this? They've been compared against at least 3 other sets of "real" plans and they've all verified to be accurate. What exactly are you saying is inaccurate?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Sombody was nice enough to send us a hard copy, was hoping someone actually had scanned or otherwise digitized the real thing.

How far off... well, using the plans hard copy and some of the basic measurements I decided to give up on the existing CAD files as useless for my purposes.

We are going to offer some new engine mounts for the EZ that mount the same as a Cozy Mk-IV does. At first this was out of necessity for the bed mount types that want Jabirus, 13B's and Subes but then it started making a lot more sense for the Open-Ez as well to mount the engine properly rather than the LE's highly cantilevered mount. It would probably also work very well to adopt the MK-IV's main gear mounting as well.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Jon, they fit up in a broad sense of the word. When I tried some time ago to match them up to use for engine mount layouts they did not come close to the plans measurements. I tried to rescale them to match and the outline did not fit well enough for my needs eiher.

You may want to do another check and prove me wrong because this would inpact cowl fit and a few other things

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Sombody was nice enough to send us a hard copy, was hoping someone actually had scanned or otherwise digitized the real thing.

The Open-EZ firewall drawing is an accurate reproduction of the real thing.

How far off... well, using the plans hard copy and some of the basic measurements I decided to give up on the existing CAD files as useless for my purposes.

Talking about the various CAD files that I've seen and are out there, I agree. No offense intended to any of the CAD authors, but I wouldn't use them unless I also could compare with the originals. There's no official CAD source or publisher, or way of verifying accuracy otherwise.

It would probably also work very well to adopt the MK-IV's main gear mounting as well.

I've wondered about this myself and always thought it would make a lot of sense. There's really no need for the metal landing gear mounts in the EZs (at least after you've seen how the Cozy IV does it).

Jon, they fit up in a broad sense of the word. When I tried some time ago to match them up to use for engine mount layouts they did not come close to the plans measurements. I tried to rescale them to match and the outline did not fit well enough for my needs eiher.

What are you matching up against what? Are these CAD drawings? I don't know what drawings you have or where they came from, but it doesn't sound like a proper Open-EZ printout. Let me know if you'd like me to print and verify a firewall drawing and send to you.

You may want to do another check and prove me wrong because this would inpact cowl fit and a few other things

I will do that. The other possibility is that if the Long-EZ plan text says one thing, it's quite possible that the drawings could show another. I'll check tonight, but again, I'll be beside myself if those plans aren't accurate reproductions. I'll drink a cup of EZ Poxy if I'm mistaken.

Chrissi, are you certain you're dealing with the A-4 page and NOT something else, such as a CAD version? I just checked an Open-EZ printout against my 1st generation copies of the same Long-EZ drawing and all ink is within 1/32nd of an inch.

Please check the attached and let me know if that's what you're looking at.

Open-EZ r5 A4.pdf

I just checked an Open-EZ printout against my 1st generation copies of the same Long-EZ drawing and all ink is within 1/32nd of an inch.

That's a great news I was a little bit worry after Cozzy Girrrl post but it looks like everything is fine with these drawings.

btw Thanks for creating Open-Ez thread we all appreciate that.:thumbsup:

Mak

Dear Jon, ALL,

My deep apologies, I was operating off the CAD files someone had posted thinking those were the OPEN-EZ files. Apparently the person drawing the CAD files took some artistic license with them.

Sorry to cause alarm.

When I am done with my work, would there be any need for an accurate CAD tracing of this PDF file?

Regards Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

My deep apologies, I was operating off the CAD files someone had posted thinking those were the OPEN-EZ files.

Good to know! My mind was swimming with this one.

Apparently the person drawing the CAD files took some artistic license with them.

What's the use of CAD for these purposes anyway? I suggest that it is ONLY:

• To establish a feeling of accuracy
  • To ensure reproduceable copies
  • For an improved look over the hand-drawn versions
  • To print the paper
Last on the list, I feel, is for someone to assemble a 3D model of the aircraft. That would be nice, but unless you're developing something entirely new, I think that's a fairly good distraction is all.

When I am done with my work, would there be any need for an accurate CAD tracing of this PDF file?

"Need"? I doubt it. Anyone that truly needed it could do it themselves. "Want"? Definitely.

I suggest that a PDF should be included with all *published* CAD files, which also includes:

• proper author/legend box (name, date, etc. -- something)
  • horizontal and vertical rulers for 'full size' drawings. This is CRITICAL IMO, otherwise how do you know whether it's been properly printed?
Just a couple scattered pennies worth of my thoughts...

For us its useful as a 3D model to determine clearance of other parts so as to not impact rudder cable runs, pulleys, etc.

But it is also useful in that you can take a thumb drive down to a place with a large plotter/printer and get an accurate plot full sized.

Regards, Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Agreed! I purchase a HP 110 plotter last Jan for just that reason. I can work stuff out with the CAD software and then plot life size. That came in handy when I was working out the full size templates for my strakes.

It prints 24" by 50 ft.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I used to crave one of those "endless length" capable plotters when I was studying naval architecture, but I am sure not having one saved me a fortune in ink and paper.

So, if I send you a CAD file you'd love to plot it out and check it for me wouldn't you? :D

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Your list of qualifications and expertise never stop amazing me. :thumbsup:

Drew, if you start early enough and you live long enough with ADD you will do many things... Oh look, new shiney object !

I spent a large part of my life obcessed with yachts and yacht design, it may have come from designing and building hull plugs for my friend that molded R/C racing boat and hydro's. When I started studying naval architecture I fell in love with many different types of boats but the odd and sometimes ugly work boats like tugs and barge tugs captured my heart (somebody had to love them?). At one point I had found a 50 foot 1940 all wood tug boat with a big GMC 671 diesel from a semi truck in it. I wanted this thing just because it had character like a cartoon tug boat. I wanted to buy it to convert it into a cute home but the wood hull had issues.

The designer of the sail boat that I lived aboard was very popular at the time and the yachts he designed were very much the ultimate blend of performance living/cruising sailing yachts of the time, I idolized him and had several conversations with him. At one point I felt ready to leave my job to follow my heart so I called him to ask about apprentacing with him. He let me down gently explaining that I was making a better income than the guy who designed the winning America's Cup yacht and to take an entry level position in naval architecture would cost me a 50% cut in income. He suggested it would be a "nice hobby" for me. So unless you are a superstar in that industry, "Naval Architect" is a lofty title that pays draftsman wages.

Sometimes I still wish I had followed my heart.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

sadly i never have enough time to learn things...i need 25 hours a day

yf i want learn abouth carbon fibres practices nobody help me,is frustating but very illustrative lern by the metode try/error(costly...)but at least is better learn with error than not(¿understand me?)the same for tig welds(for this i attend at scool)

sorry for mi english

WolfManSpecial:D :D :D :D :D

sadly i never have enough time to learn things...i need 25 hours a day

yf i want learn abouth carbon fibres practices nobody help me,is frustating but very illustrative lern by the metode try/error(costly...)but at least is better learn with error than not(¿understand me?)the same for tig welds(for this i attend at scool)

sorry for mi english

WolfManSpecial:D

Dear Wolfman,

With TIG and english the solution is the same..practice practice practice, personally I think it would be easier to be an expert at TIG welding than to be good at English :)

I was an OK TIG welder but wanted to be much better so I signed up and paid for a class in a tech school. I figured that forcing myself to practice 4 1/2 hrs a week would improve my technique as well as having an expert lean over my shoulder and critique my style and work. It really does make a difference.

English... you could not pay me enough to go back to school to do that better! I hated it, it hated me.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

When I lived in Japan, my wife taught english night classes at the local adult education center. Once or twice a week, I'd help her with the class, I didn't realize how difficult English was to learn. To many wierd rules that don't apply, pronunciation that isn't consistant, and same words that have totally different meanings (we would practice with TO, TOO, and TWO)

Japanese was just the opposite, (Konji) very easy to learn, you just need to always remember, put the nouns before the verbs, "Difficult to learn is not" (Kind of sounds like Yoda from Start Wars):rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Thought I'd add my 5 pence about my feelings (another non native speaker).

I really don't like(I don't feel comfortable with) three things about English language.

1 Most languages have only three tenses future, present and past in English you have at least 13 or maybe even more but I didn't hear about them yet. I always have trouble with this.

2 I dont like as well words like dishonesty, uncertain, impossible there are thousends/hundreds words like this sometimes start with dis-,un-,im-(there is no rule about this) in my language these words always start with this same word no/not (nie) .

3 Articles I heard everybody have problems with this doesn't matter where they come from people from Germany, France, Spain and others non English nation.

But always could be worse I just found that video about Namibian? language they have funny clicks.

Mak

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: hello chrissi and other berkuters:

i am now an expert tig welder,n ow can use the carbon fiber,and many other thing(mostly funny things),i made many dutys for a friend in a bike shop called radicalducati at madrid in Spain. www.radicalducati.com

your forum is very interesting(sometimes very frustrating)even though understunding what you are talking,my lack of how-know of the pieces of the berkut is frustrating.........

if you can help me with all my strange question i will learn of you,and if ifind the money for buy a non finished kit whit yor help and patience i will build this wondefull airplane

see you

WolfManspecial