Cheap Foam

Just got this from Eric at Wick's Aircraft:

Hello,

Was just wanting to let you know that we have Styrofoam blocks on sale. We are selling the 7 x 14 x 41 blocks for $9.00 ea.

If you are interested let me know. We have about 50 in stock. If not maybe you can put something on the Cozy message board for us. The part number is F200SALE2.

Eric Cleveland

Warehouse Manager

Wicks Aircraft Supply

Phone:618-654-7447 Fax:618-654-6591

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

I bought a bunch of this foam the last time Wicks had this "fall-off" special. Keep in mind that the pieces are smaller than the plans call for, but you can use them just fine -- will just require more blocks.

I sent Eureka 6-9 billets (I think) and got back a canard and winglets (I think -- I'm not home). I don't think Eureka will take odd-sized foam ever again, as it required him to do extra setup work (sorry Steve!). For my wings, he convinced me to use the foam he sourced, which was larger.

So now I have about 12 billets of the 7"x14"x41" foam leftover that I'll be looking to get rid of at some point, possibly turning them into canards for sale. Anyone, feel free to stop over and make me a reasonable offer...

Finally, shipping is very expensive; has everything to do with volume and nothing to do with weight in this case. You'll pay a lot more then $9/ea. Still, a good deal.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Please don't buy this if you want to send it to me for CNC cutting. By the time you pay for the extra shipping to get it to me, it won't save any money. Jon and I figured this out the hard way. It is also way more work for me to cut it this way and for you to join all the extra blocks together. For these reasons I will no longer accept any more off-sized foam from customers.

Also note that all the prices on my website already include the foam.

EUREKA CNC

Eureka%20small.gif

Extreme Precision CNC Hotwire Cutting

Perfection To The Core!

Is this wing foam?

From what *I* see, yes.

How many do I need to do both wings?

A bunch ;) The wings need 5 64" blocks plus 2 41" blocks each side. Some is cut off for the canard, 'leftover' bits/pieces for the winglets.

Guess short blocks could be glued (or dots of pour foam?) to get the 64" called out for in the plans. FWIW, YMMV, ...

Appears this is an annual 'sale', I just might take the truck to RR next, and load up on foam on my return. Even if not on sale, I'll $ave on $hipping.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

Sorry about that, I was only the messenger for the cheap foam,

I do not think you can do better than Steve's CNC cut foam cores.

One thing the cheap foam is really good for is contouring the top of your fuselage and for making cowls

....Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

We always ask if they are having a "scratch and dent" sale when we are there, we probably have enough foam in the basemet to float the house if it rains for 40 days and nights.

When it came time to recontour the upper fuselage we designed templates on the CAD system then made large masonite templates, drywall screwed them to the fuselage sids and hot wired the upper deck from the rollbar forward to the ballast compartment. Make sure you cut a seperate block to fit in that will be the filler block on top of the canard.

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Yup, the blue foam is for the wings/canard. However, I will echo others that it will cost as much or more for shipment of the foam. Don't ask how I know!

Another consideration... I would definitely buy the thicker foam from ACS for the inboard cores since they have the thicker blue foam, which negates the need to add a sliver of foam if using the 8" thick blocks. It's a real pain in the A##!

The shorter 41" blocks will require additional work and more micro-ing afterwards. No big deal if you consider the cost savings on the sale billet. But be aware prior to buying.

Remi Khu

Cozy Mk IV

Plan #1336

FWIW, you can get cores for a canard and both winglets out of 6 of the 7"x14"x41" billets.

If you're cutting your own cores, there's nothing wrong with these billets aside from them being different sizes than what the plans call for. It's just a matter of mating enough pieces together to amount to the full-size core.

(I counted I now have 15 spare billets left over).

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV