Berkut Kit

tonyslongez

Hello all

Sorry for not posting sooner. I have been very busy. I was wondering if anyone out there knows anyone that could help do a blended winglet. This is not an easy mod, it would take a conisderable amount of work to accomplish.

I undertand that Gulfstream and Boeing payed a considerable amount of money for that technology. With that said it will take someone who knows how to blend airfoils. All I need is a 3 or 2d drawing and I can draw it in solidworks. Hopefully I can build one.

Tony

Tony,

You need to talk to Jack Morrison. He's the guy that did this.

Vey helpful attitude.

I'm planning on cutting wings and wiglets in the next week or two and try some Ideas I have for getting to the curved shape. I figure that by doing this now, I can make the shear web & spar cap in one piece up through the winglet. If it works like I expect, I'll share the templates.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Tom

I have been really busy getting my E Racer ready for the last race in Taylor TX this week end. I'll try to get all the photos together for you and Tony when I return. They are quite detailed and the process is no more difficult than the original winglet to wing junction, in my opinion it is easier, stronger and 10 kts faster.

Jack

E Racer 113

Jack

That's great, thanks for your input. good luck on the big race.

For everyone else!

I'll have pics of the lower cowling install tonight. As I suspected that wasn't done correctly either. Good news is, this is the last thing that has to be fixed. Once the cowling is installed I can install the spar. I'll then start fitting all the rest of the bulkheads. Hopefully in about 1-2 months time I'll be ready for strakes.

The Berkut has always been of interest to me, so much so that I've been working on a project to fill the gap. I hope to have my fuselage and canopy tooling done in Jan. 08. For now hope all is well at your end.

Bob

Thanks for taking a look at my project. Am I understanding that you are building a Berkut derivative of some sort? If so got any Pics:D ? im sure the tooling process for something like that is a major undertaking to say the least.

Does it have a one piece flip up canopy?:cool:

Tom

I have been really busy getting my E Racer ready for the last race in Taylor TX this week end. I'll try to get all the photos together for you and Tony when I return. They are quite detailed and the process is no more difficult than the original winglet to wing junction, in my opinion it is easier, stronger and 10 kts faster.

Jack

E Racer 113

Jack, at what speed is it 10 kts faster? did you test for the speed difference at your top speed or in other speed ranges. did you test low speed range with or without trailing edge fences?

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Lynn, see post#102. It has the link to the power point pdf that Marc presented on this. I believe that the +10 is added to the top end.

I think he can still hit the lower speeds without a problem :D

All of the tufting data, etc exists there as well.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Isn't the problem of sorts with the E-Racer the leading edge to leading edge of the wing and winglet? I think I read that causes alot of drag. So the fillet was improvement. Just a guess, when your starting with such a "dragy" area to begin with you can only go up in drag reduction from there. Or am I way off base?

Tony

Isn't the problem of sorts with the E-Racer the leading edge to leading edge of the wing and winglet? I think I read that causes alot of drag. So the fillet was improvement. Just a guess, when your starting with such a "dragy" area to begin with you can only go up in drag reduction from there. Or am I way off base?

Tony

Tony, I believe the drag in this area is the result of the abrupt transition from horizontal to vertical. The smoother transition eliminates the flow breakup.

At least that's what I got from Marc's presentation.

I don't think it has anything to do with the matching leading edge on this juncture.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

...I don't think it has anything to do with the matching leading edge on this juncture.

Then you didn't read the presentation carefully enough :-). See slides 7 and 16. Without the audio, you miss the detailed explanations, but the matching LE's makes the separation far worse.

....the matching LE's makes the separation far worse.

Really! Yeah, I admit I either missed it (or I don't retain as well as I used to! :D )

Too bad there isn't a soundtrack to go with it.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Really! Yeah, I admit I either missed it (or I don't retain as well as I used to! :D )

Too bad there isn't a soundtrack to go with it.

Just play "Enjoy Yourself", written by Herb Magidson, sung by Todd Snider, and you'll get the gist of the presentation.

Or wait a while until I get the recording, like for the years before.

Just play "Enjoy Yourself", written by Herb Magidson, sung by Todd Snider, and you'll get the gist of the presentation.

Or wait a while until I get the recording, like for the years before.

I'm patiently waiting for that audio, too.

Tony, Barnaby Wainfan believes that a well developed pen-nib fairing will be at least as effective as a blended winglet, possibly more. James Redmon has an article in the Oct Central States about putting them on his airplane, he picked up 5 kts IIRC.

Richard

Most of my testing was done at 170 kts and above and all comparisons were a +10-11 kts from 170 kts T to 220 kts T. I did not find too many comparisons at the lower speeds but I did find some. From 150 ktsT to 170kts T were identical increases as the higher speeds, either with the 103 prop or the 113 prop. The 113 prop was 10 kts faster than the 103 prop at the same rpm. My 113 prop will give me a true airspeed of 200 - 202 kts at 2150 rpm. The reason I do not have many comparisons at the lower speds is that I usually clmb out at 150-160 kts ind at 3000 fpm with the 103 prop. I did a lot of research before I decided to go with the blended winglets. I know Mark says the winglet moved behind the leading edge reduces drag in comparison to the E racers flush wing to winglet, but I have never found any solid evidence on how much improvement moving the winglet back has as on the LE or Cozy. I do know that moving the winglet forward and blending the intersection is by far less drag than the winglet arrangement on theLE and Cozy. I do not recall the exact numbers in the improvement between the two designs but I recall about 30% improvement with the blended design. Dont quote me on that , its been a while since I went through the info. I will say that of all the modifications I have made and tried on the E Racer, this was by far the most significant. I would like to thank Mark for all his professional help on the proper and safe layup schedules for this modification, I would never had attemped this without his input. To answer your question on the trailing edge fences. If you fly your canard without lower winglets as the E Racer is designed, trailing edge fences will lower your landing speed by 10 kts. They work great, however they are unnecessary with the blended winglet. I flew without and with on the blended winglet and could not tell any

noticable difference. Low speed handling with the blended winglet is identical as the standard winglet.

Jack

E Racer 113

I was a Berkut builder at one time. I think I was serial #14? Due to unforeseen circumstances I was put into a position where I had to sell my kit.

Many of you know me I spent many hours at the Berkut exhibit with Dave Ronneberg, and Richard Riley at Sun & Fun, and Oshkosh. I enjoyed every minute of it.

After retiring from the New York City Fire Department shortly after 9/11 well I could not stay away and I wanted a Berkut again but the great bird in the sky was extinct, many sleepless nights followed trying to figure out how I can get one and I pretty much gave up hope.

Well that is where Bob Setzer came in. I met Bob and talked about what a great aircraft the Berkut is. I shared stories of flights I had in the Berkut and one really exciting one from Mojave to Oshkosh in a 540 Berkut with Dave Ronneberg. Bob said he had ideas of building something similar to the Berkut. I thought this was just conversation as there are many people out there that are all talk and no action. Well I left my first meeting with Bob and a few days later I returned to find half of the fuselage formers built and he said “ I am going to do this. This is A-SOLUTION”. I thought I was a perfectionist until I met Bob his work is meticulous. He has a Varieze he built, the workmanship is as near perfect as you can get. It is a beautiful plane. He does what he says he is going to do, and I have no doubt he will see this through to the end.

Please any Berkuts James Redmon, Dave Ronneberg any others it would be great for you to fly by and see the project, and to see you and your aircraft. It is based, where else but Lakeland Florida. Bob has never even flown in a Berkut and I think that would really get him even more motivated to get a ride and pull some g’s.

It has been almost a year now and many hours of work sanding, priming, sanding, priming lots of dust was made and the canopy plug is now complete and the mold will be pulled in the next two weeks. The fuselage plug is very near completion. As Bob always reminds me “If it were easy everyone would do this” Here are some photos of the project more recent photos will follow.

Sorry for the long post, future post will be brief.

post-5211-14109015746_thumb.jpg

post-5211-141090157462_thumb.jpg

post-5211-141090157464_thumb.jpg

post-5211-141090157467_thumb.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

looks great. What it is going to be called? Will it have foam core wings or molded? What is the projected cost? What other mods will there be if any over the Berkut? (length, width, height) Market analysis?

Tony

Hey Tony

It is going to be called “A-SOLUTION" since it is a solution to not being able to get a kit that is no longer in production.

As of right now it will have foam core wings, with a carbon fiber spar caps and skins.

It’s too early to tell projected cost.

No other mods planed. Dimensionally it is very close.

Market analysis was not done. This is a venture of two people who wanted an aircraft for there own personal use, and the only way to get to their ultimate goal was to build the tooling to produce two aircraft. What the future holds?

I am just the apprentice Bob Setzer is the Master builder "Bob The Builder" any further questions can be directed to him.