Rough River 2007

Well I just bought my ticket to go to Rough River I am very excited. It would be more fun to fly my own plane instead of going commercial but That is the way it is for a few more years. Who else is going? Some of the things I want to accomplish while there.

1. Sit in a finished cozy IV ( I have never seen one in the flesh yet)

2. Scope out noses, Canopies cowlings.

3. Decide on rudder pedals.

4. Meet other builders

5. If I am lucky get a ride.

6. Have a great time checking out canard aircraft.

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

• 1 month later...

We drove down on Saturday morning. It was the first time my brother and I had seen a cozy up close. Got to sit in two different cozys. Definately a snug fit if you are over 200 pounds. The biggest problem was my long legs didn't fit under the IP very well. Couldn't even get my feet on the pedals in the first one but fit much better in the second one. Everyone was very friendly and willing to answer questions. I enjoyed the presentations in the morning but we left about 2:00 so I didn't get to see anything in the afternoon. Sorry I missed out on the famous chili. I was too busy looking at airplanes to eat!!! We came away very impressed with the whole thing.

It was great. Weather was outstanding, we had a huge tent courtsey of RR (Nick got it delivered and reserved). About the same number of canards as last year (60-70) but about double the number of spam cans.

Nick arranged the forums wiring, diesels, Marc's prop failure and solution, Dust hands on hot wiring with a spring loaded saw, etc.

CG Products was there showing a special Long-EZ control system that is silky smooth and tight, etc.

I guess you not being there kept away the rain... ;-}

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

Cozy Mk IV Plans Set 1330

Better still --> Now at CH 9

Well I just bought my ticket to go to Rough River I am very excited. It would be more fun to fly my own plane instead of going commercial but That is the way it is for a few more years. Who else is going? Some of the things I want to accomplish while there.

1. Sit in a finished cozy IV ( I have never seen one in the flesh yet)

2. Scope out noses, Canopies cowlings.

3. Decide on rudder pedals.

4. Meet other builders

5. If I am lucky get a ride.

6. Have a great time checking out canard aircraft.

Hey Steve, (the guy with the wigwam tent)

Thanks for helping Greg and I set up our tent at 6am Friday. We had a great time this year. It is nice to waste the night driving instead of the day. This way, we got a few hours sleep Friday morning and got to relax during the day, watching everyone come in.

Mike LaFLeur - Cozy MkIV #1155
N68ML
76225.gif

Hey Steve, (the guy with the wigwam tent)

Thanks for helping Greg and I set up our tent at 6am Friday. We had a great time this year. It is nice to waste the night driving instead of the day. This way, we got a few hours sleep Friday morning and got to relax during the day, watching everyone come in.

Mike,,,,,You work WAY TOO many hours! What you should have done is take Thursday off, arrive Thursday at 1700, set up camp,,,,go out to dinner, then sit back relaxed and watch everyone come in!:D

Mike,,,,,You work WAY TOO many hours! What you should have done is take Thursday off, arrive Thursday at 1700, set up camp,,,,go out to dinner, then sit back relaxed and watch everyone come in!:D

Greg had just driven in from Canada for work and I had to get a new module tested for business we are trying to win from GM.

Funny you should say. Last night I felt guilty for leaving only after 10 hours.

N68ML
76225.gif

Greg had just driven in from Canada for work and I had to get a new module tested for business we are trying to win from GM.

I drove up the driveway at Mike's. What a sight... Oily t-shirt, jeans, pouring grease trap sludge through two big filter bags. He was preparing dinner for the Mercedes. :D

This year Rough River was a blast! Remi had his usual sadistic humor. I just make myself wide open every year for his crosshairs. :D He kept us all hydrated with plenty of beer and water all weekend. -Thanks Remi

John's PA/DJ system was perfect. Cool background music. All 16 minutes of Inagoddadavida. :thumbsup: Not too loud. Everyone's stuff was laid out at the picnic tables for sale. This year there was more food than anyone could eat except Nathan's great chili. That went fast.

Planes were going non-stop carring passengers. It was great. The sun really brings out the best in people. After 4 years I finally got my ride in Steve Wright's famed Stagger-EZ. He let me fly it most of the time while he put on a demo for the new Blue Mountain box. You can fly 0-0 with that thing right to runway.

The coolest plane I saw this year was an 18hp lawn mower/generator 2 cylinder driven Quickie.

This year Rough River was a blast! Remi had his usual sadistic humor. I just make myself wide open every year for his crosshairs. :D He kept us all hydrated with plenty of beer and water all weekend. -Thanks Remi

John's PA/DJ system was perfect. Cool background music. All 16 minutes of Inagoddadavida. :thumbsup: Not too loud. Everyone's stuff was laid out at the picnic tables for sale. This year there was more food than anyone could eat except Nathan's great chili. That went fast.

Planes were going non-stop carring passengers. It was great. The sun really brings out the best in people. After 4 years I finally got my ride in Steve Wright's famed Stagger-EZ. He let me fly it most of the time while he put on a demo for the new Blue Mountain box. You can fly 0-0 with that thing right to runway.

The coolest plane I saw this year was an 18hp lawn mower/generator 2 cylinder driven Quickie.

Glad everyone had a good time. I wanted to go but would have lost two days building and the goal now is to get flying!!!

I remember seeing the Quicky back in my youth in Popular Mechanix I think it was. I believe they called for an Onan back then...I'd do a Honda now for sure!!

Ah ha! Your science is off. I missed the year before as well -- the year with all the rain. Must be someone else doing it.

Well the other thought on that issue was the fact that Nick had secured that big tent kept the rain away.

If that theory holds we won't have any rain for the next few years...

The only other unusual thing was all the baseball talk. I don't know what the final score was but there were many discussions about pitching and catching...

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

I wonder how many GPH that Quickie sees?

WARNING -- beware of time about to be lost. :)

Here are all the pictures from RR2007 that I know of, by photographer:

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Ah ha! Your science is off. I missed the year before as well -- the year with all the rain. Must be someone else doing it.

Yes, it was good... But if I recall correctly Jon, you INTENDED to go in 2006, correct? Maybe that was enough for mother nature to throw the rain that way! ;)

--Ed Savage

Cozy Mark IV #1032

Yah, best intentions 2006, but I think the "tent theory" is most accurate right now.

I tried to book commercial tickets for 2008 on Sunday. Continental was only accepting reservations through August 2008. Gonna have to wait another month. :)

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Forgot to mention this...

There was a Burt Rutan video Saturday night where Burt's team mounted a "rejected" canard on an A-frame by the lift tabs. Two guys places 25 lb shot bags one at a time on each end. They kept doing it until the canard snapped.

Correct me if I'm inaccurate but the canard flexed up to 11.5 and 12.5 inches with over 800 lbs on each end before it snapped. Flick was like watching corn grow for those outside the canard community but we watched as if it were a magic trick.

Burt was trying to prove the shear strength under max G-load. It turned out the strength was four times the amount you could ever get out of the plane. Great to know and tell passengers.

It was an old video, but the canard did not snap until it was past 13Gs. In case you missed it, that was a canard that had dry weave. Burt went on to say he hoped the guy whose canard they rejected wasn't in the audience...but...it was good the canard was rejected because with time the weave would move around and weaken.

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

It was an old video, but the canard did not snap until it was past 13Gs. In case you missed it, that was a canard that had dry weave. Burt went on to say he hoped the guy whose canard they rejected wasn't in the audience...but...it was good the canard was rejected because with time the weave would move around and weaken.

It snapped 1 bag short of 14G's.

N68ML
76225.gif

The Canard Pusher article, "Testing a Canard to Failure", can be found at this link. If the link doesn't work, it's CP #45, page 3.

Dale Martin (LEZ, Lewiston, ID) has the original video tape (since he was the one who taped it). The only canard that really truly failed was the first one at 13.2 G's. The original LEZ canard and Melville's GU canard twisted and the weights fell off...... At or above 16 G's approx......

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

...... keeping in mind we are talking G loads for a Long-EZ.

Obviously there is a bit of a discrepancy between the gross load weights of a Long-EZ vs. A Cozy or Aerocanard

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

The Canard Pusher article, "Testing a Canard to Failure", can be found at this link. If the link doesn't work, it's CP #45, page 3.

Dale Martin (LEZ, Lewiston, ID) has the original video tape (since he was the one who taped it). The only canard that really truly failed was the first one at 13.2 G's. The original LEZ canard and Melville's GU canard twisted and the weights fell off...... At or above 16 G's approx......

I remember quite clearly that it failed at bag number 69, because we laughed about it not being a number we would forget. Burt stated that each row of ten 25lb bags was 2 G's. Therefore this was one bag short of 14 G's. This was the one that snapped, not the one that twisted and bent the tabs.

N68ML
76225.gif