Cozy Airframe Cost?

PAfly

I've been looking at the Cozy IV and found a potential project that has been started. I have one simple question that I couldn't find in the archives. I am sure it is out there, just haven't searched hard to find it.

My question is this: What are the completed airframes costing these days? I have approximate data from a builder, but his data is over 10 years old. What are you guys presently seeing / expecting?

Your expertise would be helpful! :)

Thanks,

PA

Check page 10 of the 2007 Cozy presentation for Marc Zeitlin's estimates.

$40,000 - $75,000 sounds good to me for middle-of-the road VFR. I'd like to come in closer to 40 than 75 though. We'll see; I haven't done any real budgeting myself.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

PAf,

The above figure, I believe is for the plane and engine.

A good way to determine the value of a project is to look at the cost of the materials that have gone into it (cost available from ACS by chapter) and go up or down from there.

If you are interested in buying a project, or aircraft, for that matter, find someone really familiar with the CO, LONG, Veri--EZs so that a proper prebuy inspection can be done.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

A good way to determine the value of a project is to look at the cost of the materials that have gone into it (cost available from ACS by chapter) and go up or down from there.

Don't forget to factor in the $1.00/hour labor add-on. ;)

Seriously, Rich is correct. The cost of an abandoned project has typically been valued at the cost of materials in today's dollars.

• 3 weeks later...

my airframe costs came in at about U$ 15,000 (no motor, nothing but the plans goodies to make the surfaces work etc) ... then add everything you would like. Not included here is the transport, taxes etc to South Africa.

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

my airframe costs came in at about U$ 15,000 (no motor, nothing but the plans goodies to make the surfaces work etc) ...

That's not bad by me. I had $18,000 in mind (although no idea where I pulled that number from).

Chris, when did you complete your airframe? Built in the US and shipped to SA?

I've been looking at the Cozy IV and found a potential project that has been started. I have one simple question that I couldn't find in the archives. I am sure it is out there, just haven't searched hard to find it.

My question is this: What are the completed airframes costing these days? I have approximate data from a builder, but his data is over 10 years old. What are you guys presently seeing / expecting?

Your expertise would be helpful! :)

Thanks,

PA

You can go to AS&S website, search for COZY Mk IV, then add up the cost of all the chapter kits. THEN you have to add in the cost ($100/gallon) of the epoxy you will need. If you start buying pre-fab parts, the cost goes up from there. :)

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

So far I have $8,550 into my Cozy IV project. I have a complete tub and a complete canard I have my wheels and brakes in hand and nose strut and main gear leg bow. I have enough epoxy and glass to finish the project. I also have enough metal to make most of the parts left to make. I have not yet bought the canopy. I am waiting till after Rough River to decide on which canopy I want to buy. I think I will be able to finish the airframe for 15,000 If I can keep on this track. Of course I make all of my own metal parts. I will also make my own motor mount and exhaust and I am going to learn how to make a prop. I think I might be able to fly for around $30,000 if I can get lucky on a motor. STeve:scared:

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Hi Jon Matcho & others,

About this time in 2004. Septemberish :)

All made out of plans materials, some from the USA, a lot locally sourced & lots of parts self made. The average exhange rate was R8/1U$, but it peaked in 2004 at R12/U$1. But my records do show about U$ 15K at the various conversion rates total at that time.

Then the money started rolling on the finishing, motor, electrics etc.

To date I have a total of U$ 50,543,50 in the project and 4150 productive activity hours to completion. Time to fly 20 hours has taken from 9/11 2005 today ... but I am slow!

regards

• 1 month later...

Ok, since we're talking cost here. I usually hang on to, and use the stuff I build so, resale is not my game. I do need to know what a cherry cozy 4 w/ o-360, cs prop, glass pannel, and applicable radio's will sell for? This info is for my sweetheart- as she would be the seller in the event of any fatal bad luck on my part-(other activities, skiing, hanggliding, sports car racing, etc, etc.).-Guy

Ok, since we're talking cost here. I usually hang on to, and use the stuff I build so, resale is not my game. I do need to know what a cherry cozy 4 w/ o-360, cs prop, glass pannel, and applicable radio's will sell for? This info is for my sweetheart- as she would be the seller in the event of any fatal bad luck on my part-(other activities, skiing, hanggliding, sports car racing, etc, etc.).-Guy

Why would you even bother with such a low risk endeavor such as experimental homebuilt aircraft? With the resources available at your disposal, why not just jump off a cliff somewhere?

Be real... this is a homebuilt forum, not bragging about our toys ...:mad:

Remi Khu

Cozy Mk IV

Plan #1336

Well If you like base jumping come on out here to Twin Falls Idaho. We have the only bridge in the country that is legal to jump off of. It is over the snake River canyon that Evil Kneivel tried to jump back in the 70's And not to hijack this tread your airplane is worh what someone will pay for it. Hopefully more than you spent building it. STeve

:D

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Guy

I take it you are sensitive. I was talking about me highjacking the tread. I figure a nice one of these planes is worth $90,000 but I have not sold one either. Dont be so sensitive you take all the fun out of these forums. My

.02 STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

Yea..pretty touchy. It was evident to me Big Steve[one of the ncest guys you'll ever meet] was refering to HIS possible 'tread jacking'comment.[and yea he slipped on the keyborad and misstyped the 'h'. Geesh.

To me your question is quite telling. But what the heck. I'm just observing.

If you are wondering about what they sell for...maybe you aren't really the type that is going to be able to finish this kind of commitment. If your a "danger-dan -dude", just go buy a big policy and you and she need not worry about the pittance she gets out of whatever level of progress you made it too before leaving the party. Unless the plane is finished they don't bring much. I doubt you'll get you materials cost back.

You barely have time to work a job, have a quality relationship, help your neighbors, AND REALLY make progress on the airplane. Cut out all the other 'dangerous' farting around, you don't have time for it. Ask anybody whose seriously building. Just build the airplane and be one of the 20% or less that actually have done it...and minimize all the rest of the risks in your life, or what time you will have spent building will go up in smoke along with your skinny a$$ if you check out.

Its a matter of priorities. I'm sure she'd rather have you here. Poor assumption?

My jaded .02

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

I had an attorney from Oz call awhile back, he was trying to establish the value of a Cozy project. It came down to the only person an unfinished Cozy had any value to was the 1. Soon to be Ex, 2. The builder and 3. A soon to be new Cozy builder. In this case it was a plane that had formerly flown then was taken apart and had sat idle for a long long time so its true status was unknown.

I have seen a flying IFR Cozy III go for $25K in repo, I have seen someone asking $250K for a flying Aerocanard (did not sell)

...Chrissi

CG Products

www.CozyGirrrl.com

Cozy Mk-IV RG 13B Turbo

Touche' . My humble apologies Steve. I'm now to the point in my life where I hate unfinished prodjects, plus I don't sleep to good so I don't see completion as being of any concern. At this point I'm working at building my shop and will probably not start in earnest for at least a year. Although I will be buying plans soon. To clarify I was born into the aviation lifestyle and in no way see flying as a risky proposition. 90k seems like a fair value to me. As far as used or abandoned prodjects go I'm somewhat leery of others work if it's not documented, but with that said it seems like a great way to go cost wise as I want to fly-although I love building. My initial question was in terms of thinking of the future, with or with out me. I promise I will do better at enduring the ribbing, it's the :mad: that throw me off. Sorry to all.

-Guy

rsrguy....Oh yeaaa, rsr..that must be a Porsche thing you're pedaling.

BTW-Thanks for the PM.

I didn't put a smiley in my post, but I'm pleased you caught the spirit of it. Particularly the size of your azz. She would be able to verify and quantify. These birds fetch some decent $ if they are well done. Actually, they're a fat-cat bargain compared to a stress ridden 1973 Cesspool 172 for the same $....therefore of great value to the builder- as an aircraft, but not as a return on investment.=[

Keep pedaling=]

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

"rsrguy....Oh yeaaa, rsr..that must be a Porsche thing you're pedaling."

I wish! Only the Japanese car collectors can afford those, me I just

found a cheap 72 model and have been spending the last 7 years working it over. Just painted it last year, me, in my garage. Lots of fun- my sweet, benevolent wife wrote that check, didn't even bat an eye. If this doesn't seem like a big deal, keep in mind I have 5 kids, all were living at home at the time. So now I need a Cozy IV to visit the grand kids and inlaws. Needless to say she likes the rational- it's a lot easier to say, "lets get a plane" than lets pick up a little two seat car.

-Guy

Guy:

I live 2 1/2 hours north of you . I know this because I worked down your way for a couple of months. If you want to see a Cozy under construction you are more than welcome to come and see mine. You could bring your parachute and jump off the bridge in Twinn. You can go down there almost any calm saturday and guys and gals are jumping off of it. :cool: STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Working on Chapter 19,21

• 3 months later...

That's not bad by me. I had $18,000 in mind (although no idea where I pulled that number from).

Chris, when did you complete your airframe? Built in the US and shipped to SA?

Sorry for the very late reply.

My Cozy was started 01 May 1995 & completed somewhere in 2005.

Plans stuff was completed somewhere in 2002/3, that's when the money started flowing.

If I had to do it again, the price would probably still be close to this. Our South African currency went for a loop during this period and the exchange rate went from (initially) R3/U$1 to almost R15/U$1, averaging on my costs at just over R8,50/U$1. Currently we look stronger because the U$ went a little weaker - good, stimulates your economy!