I was thinking of placing a battery in Nose of my VariEze

deesaysy

I believe most that have a battery in a VariEze have it installed in the nose.  I added a starter to mine along with some other components in the engine area.  The battery helps for balance.  My battery sits on the flat parts of the NG30 nose gear supports.  I have an aluminum strap that bolts into NG30 that wrap around the battery to secure it.  I made an extension off that strap and mounted my ADS-B out TailBeacon to it.  Yes, the ADS-B is INSIDE my fuselage and works great transmitting through the skins.

• Like 1

I am rebuilding a varieze. I started with jsut a fuselage, engine frame and cowling. I now have the engine installed with a skytech starter and an alternator from B&C. I have a battery coming form EarthX that is very light. My airplane has a placard of 640 lbs. This is going to change when i finish. Im hoping the change is smal. It once had an alternator with the old Chrisler voltage regulator. Im beliving that it had the large alternators used in GA. Im hoping that after instaling the battery on the fire wall and the other two components, it wont be to fare off from where it was when it was first built. 

Im placing the battery on the firewall so I can keep the resistance to the starter low. I will be making an access panel on the nose and use it for a small tool bag. This will become part of what I believe,  be part of the permanent weight for CG. I will scale the airplane when I finish and hopefully I'm in CG without having to add ballast to the nose. 

I dont know if this was helpfull but Good luck and hope you get her flying soon.

• Thanks 1

I know almost nothing about Varieze building; I do have a Longeze which has flown

45 hours.    The weight and balance problem may be more severe in the Varieze.

I would suggest that you use one electronic ignition from Klaus and 1 magneto.

You probably will have to put the battery as far forward as you can due to the weight and balance.   Yes that requires more cable so you can try it with the battery in the back but I think you will have to put it up front.   You might put a few tools up front and a can of oil (you need an empty plastic bottle to put water into if you use the oil).   The alterntor from B & C should be their small one but will it fit in the engine compartment?    In the Longeze, I had to cut a hole in the firewall  (and repair the hole, of course) to get the alternator to fit.  

I'm building a VariEze.   What size alternator are you using?  Are you planning to go with electronic ignition?  I'm curious the calculations and thought process behind having enough battery power for the electronic ignition (and/or electronic fuel injection if you're using it).   Some levels of redundancy (mtbf of components?), trade off's with weight all fit into the equation.   Two batteries(lithium), two alternators, double ignition?   

Are you familiar with http://www.aeroelectric.com/Downloads.html.   Most of these questions discussed or in the Matronics archives for the Aerelectric forum.  

my last project used two Lightspeed Plasmas, a robust battery in the nose (for starting) and a small battery as a backup with a momentary button to check the voltage in the small battery.   One alternator.  With an alternator failure I would reduce electrical load, use one ignition and land ASAP.    If the main battery also quit (unlikely), I could run one ign from the backup battery

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I put it in the nose. 

Yes, I'm in the air. Just passed my Annual inspection. 

She flies sweet.!!

Okay, I need access to my battery with out removing the canard.

I was going to cut off the front hump of the canard. Any comments.

That measures  1' x 6" 

Sorry I did not see the questions

My variEz has:

I have a franklin sport engine brand new.

I also have electric ignition and and 2 magnetos.

I have an Ellison throttle body for fuel flow.

I also have electric nose gear.

My empty weight is 715#

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, deesaysy said:

Is that piece structural?

Likely not.  It is probably a cover built onto the canard.  Can be removed by cutting it off and gently sanding off the layups that attach it with a small angle-grinder and sanding disk but don't sand into the canard skin layups.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold