VariEze fuel cable replacmant

EzFernando

Hi everyone. I purchased a VariEze fuselage and engine mount. I picked up an 0-200, prop and spinner already and have mounted the engine to the airframe. I still have baffling work and am moving forward slowly. I have made some changes already like, adding a starter and am waiting for a generator to arrive. I have wire type fuel selector and mixture selector cables. Also in my carb heat. I would like to up grade to an better setup. Dose anyone have a good substitution. Looking at the plans, it looks like it had a wire cable control for both fuel and mixture. I have looked at some cable type on line but I'm hoping to fined something that won't complicate things and get me flying safely. 

Thanks 

6 hours ago, EzFernando said:

I have wire type fuel selector and mixture selector cables. Also in my carb heat. I would like to up grade to an better setup. Dose anyone have a good substitution.

You probably have the old "Brock" cables by Brock Mfg. which work pretty well and folks still use.  They can be converted to a lever with an arm.  See "Vance's Column" here   http://www.cozybuilders.org/newsletters/news_61.html 

Cablecraft brand cables are top-of-line and can be ordered in 1" increments but are expensive.  Marine cables come in 1 foot increments and might be used by cutting off the engine-end and wrapping the inner sold wire to make a bolt-on connection.  Study the offerings here  https://www.westmarine.com/control-cables     Unfortunately Google Images does not archive or show all the images of throttle cables and various ideas used over the years but they are out there on the web.   Try "Cozy Mk IV throttles" or Long-ez in google images and it will bring up pics that will take you to builder websites.  (The Varieze is so old, nobody had a builder website.  🙂     )

IMG_0401.JPG

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

On my VariEze I installed a push-pull cable (custom length, ordered from Aircraft Spruce) for the throttle.  I left the bicycle cables for the mixture and carb heat.  At the control quadrant (which is designed to use the bicycle cables) I made a throttle lever and sandwiched it in-between the existing spools (for Mixture, etc.).