Wanna-be builder, but...

Kaliche Kid

After finally discovering the coolest aircraft to build for cross country adventures, I was discouraged to find out that plans for the Varieze and LE are no longer available. I liked the idea of using an economical 100hp engine without sacrificing speed. 
Are my only options to upsize “$$$” to the CozyIV (plans and parts available) or search for used aircraft (build quality questionable)?

I’m not convinced on the Open Ez. I read a lot concerns about measurements being off or skewed images. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

The Open-ez plans are identical to what Rutan sent out or so close you can't tell any difference.  However, there are lots of improvements made to the Long-ez over the years: bigger engine, longer nose, beefed up engine mounts,  changes in the foam available, so there are changes that could be made.  100 Hp won't be enough, though.  150 hp is about right

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I wouldn't hesitate to build an Open-EZ (but a Cozy better fits my mission). Cross-check your printed plans, easy to do, and will give peace of mind.

Remember as well, these are hand-crafted machines, a couple of mm difference here and there isn't the end of the world.

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

Variezes are rather dated now - still and excellent and efficient aircraft, but building techniques, materials etc improved a lot with the Long-Ez, etc. Some aspects of the design (wing attach) haven't aged all that well, and were improved in later designs.

The Aerocanard plans are here: https://aerocad.com/14-aerocanard-plans
I own the complete set if you have any questions. FWIW I'm building from the plans, not kit parts.

Aerocanard (modified) SN:ACPB-0226 (Chapter 8)

Canardspeed.com (my build log and more; usually lags behind actual progress)
Flight simulator (X-plane) flight model master: X-Aerodynamics

(GMT+12)

1 hour ago, Kaliche Kid said:

I figured a Varieze would be my most economical option into the world of canards. I like the CozyIV, but the price seems to go up quick with the engine requirements. Aerocanards still need the builder to acquire plans first, correct?

The most economical way is to buy a project.   See my “sales I’ve seen”  thread.  You generally get the builder’s labor for free and a discount on materials.   Often older airplanes come that need a refurb.  That can be fun.  

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Ok, I like the capabilities of the Aerocanard. Also, with the option of a few kit parts, the build time could be cut down when money is freed up.

Buying a used canard sounds very interesting. It would have to be a solid specimen. I'm sure there are some very experienced members here that would know what to look for.

Does anyone know if there is a compounded list of available mods/upgrades/fixes for Long EZs? I guess maybe since its experimental, the sky is the limit? (pun unintended) More importantly would be fixes for safety and efficiency.

My advice is to find an existing VariEze if it fits yours needs.  You cannot beat the value.  I went through this process last year.  I found a good deal on a well-built VariEze with 570 hours on it.  It had not flown for 16 years.  I put some time and a little money into getting it back into flying condition (mags, carb, hoses, electrical, starter, instrumentation).  I learned everything I could about the construction by working through these items.  I got checked out in flying canards, had a thorough condition inspection in Covington, TN, and then flew it home to Minnesota in November.  MN weather is not very cooperative in the winter, but I have managed to put over 20 hours on it in the last 2 months.  

I am 5'9" and 175#.  I fit just fine, but not a lot of extra space. You have to be organized with your cockpit.

I absolutely enjoy flying the VariEze.  

Here's a story I wrote for Ryszard with RAFE about my VariEze.

https://www.rutanaircraftflyingexperience.org/post/an-rafe-christmas-story

If you buy all new parts, no scrounging, new engine, glass panel... its taking around $100k to build a Cozy MKIV.  Its possible to complete one with second hand parts, mid time engine, simple panel for $50k.

I don't see how it would cost a whole lot less to build a new Varieze.  Metal parts, engine mount, foam, epoxy, avionics, engine.... maybe it could be done for $30k to $40k.  Just a guess... but other than being smaller, there are a similar number of parts.

You can buy a nice flying Varieze for $15k to $20k.  Have it inspected by one of the excellent leaders in our community, and you'll be YEARS and MONEY Way Ahead.  If you want to build... then build.  If you want to fly an EZ... I recommend buying one.

Edited by macleodm3
  • Like 1

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem