Nose Strut Problem

Mike B

You

1 hour ago, Mike B said:

The CZ IV nose struts aren't currently available and won't be for, "some time". Can I use an L-EZ strut? I'm told I'll need to modify how the nose caster fits. Any information would be appreciated!

You got info from Aerocomposites. yes?  Personally, I think I would build the rest of the nose and wait for a Cozy strut to become available.  If the MKNG-6 is installed squarely in the NG boxes and operates in-plane with the aircraft centerline, it should be quick work to install the strut and wheel later.  I believe the EZ strut is lighter and shaped a little differently at the  top for the EZ NG-6.  Jack Wilhelmson sells two versions of the NG-6--one EZ, one Cozy IV--which seems to confirm that.

There is discussion in the Cozybuilder group archives about dimples in the lower casting to retain the casting, or drilling for a bolt.  No opinion there.  One thing for sure, the lower casting pivot should tilt slightly aft at the top  when you're done on the wheel will be prone to shimmy.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

11 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

I believe the EZ strut is lighter and shaped a little differently at the  top for the EZ NG-6.  Jack Wilhelmson sells two versions of the NG-6--one EZ, one Cozy IV--which seems to confirm that.

I don't remember exactly what the difference is between the LE and COZY MKIV nose gear strut, but it's pretty minor. But Jack's NG-6A's aren't different in the way they attach to the strut - they're different in their overall width and how they fit between The NG-30's, which is different between the LE and COZY MKIV. And as someone who's built one of each, you should know that :-).

• 5 weeks later...

The news from Aerosport isn't good. I can't wait for many months for the possibility they might run some more struts if they get enough orders. So, my Cozy will have a LEZ nose gear. I'm going to reinforce the strut with an one additional layer of bi-directional. I'm guessing the caster assembly, other than the forks, is the same size. Any info on that would be appreciated.

Just an idea:  I think I would try to make a strut before I would mess with an EZ strut that I'd want to change-out later.  The strut is likely S-glass, post-cured.

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/product/fiberglass-kevlar-carbonfiber/s-glass-roving-filament-spool

A U-shaped mold to make the shape does not seem hard to fab-up.  We can come up with dimensions.  Loop the rovings in the mold and wet-out as you go.  Make it just a little thicker if you are nervous about it.   I imagine Burt and Nat made their own first struts.  

-Kent

Aerocomposite shows $122 for a Long-EZ and Cozy III strut and $130 for a Cozy IV strut which leads me to think they are different.  I have had both but I can't recall for sure.  It seems the Cozy IV strut was thicker.  Price lists below.

AeroComposites LE price list March 2018.doc AeroComposites Mark IV price list March 2018.doc

-Kent

On 6/28/2019 at 7:14 AM, Mike B said:

The news from Aerosport isn't good. I can't wait for many months for the possibility they might run some more struts if they get enough orders.

So let me get this straight! They are going to wait till there is enough interest. That's not how it works. Both you and I will just look for alternatives, as the build must go on without delay. If it was me I would stay up nights to cast a half dozen or so struts.  We are building both so I have a raw LEZ NG strut just in case you want some dimensions prior to deciding which route you you will take.

FZ

Long eze ,  # 712    On Chapter 11 and 14  Chapter 13 and 16 done. 

Cozy Mark 4 # 1777  Chapter 5,  build on hold. 

I have an untouched Cozy IV nose strut and can take dimensions.  What are the Long-EZ nose strut dimensions?

Unfortunately, in our world of practically orphaned aircraft, this is typical of how it works.  These are small shops that need to make decisions for how and when to produce these unique parts of ours.  If Aerosport were only doing Cozys and Long-EZs they'd be out of business by noon.  With some patience and timing of your build you can likely delay this area.  You can always design your own...

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Jon below is a DXF file of a Cozy nose strut.  If you wouldn't mind, print it out and compare it to your actual strut.  Let me know how close it is.  There are no dimensions for either strut in the plans.  I can send it in a PDF format if that will be easier.

CozyNoseStrut.dxf

-Kent