Sign in to follow this  
Mike B

Nose Strut Problem

The CZ IV nose struts aren't currently available and won't be for, "some time". Can I use an L-EZ strut? I'm told I'll need to modify how the nose caster fits. Any information would be appreciated!

You

1 hour ago, Mike B said:

The CZ IV nose struts aren't currently available and won't be for, "some time". Can I use an L-EZ strut? I'm told I'll need to modify how the nose caster fits. Any information would be appreciated!

You got info from Aerocomposites. yes?  Personally, I think I would build the rest of the nose and wait for a Cozy strut to become available.  If the MKNG-6 is installed squarely in the NG boxes and operates in-plane with the aircraft centerline, it should be quick work to install the strut and wheel later.  I believe the EZ strut is lighter and shaped a little differently at the  top for the EZ NG-6.  Jack Wilhelmson sells two versions of the NG-6--one EZ, one Cozy IV--which seems to confirm that.

There is discussion in the Cozybuilder group archives about dimples in the lower casting to retain the casting, or drilling for a bolt.  No opinion there.  One thing for sure, the lower casting pivot should tilt slightly aft at the top  when you're done on the wheel will be prone to shimmy.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

11 hours ago, Kent Ashton said:

I believe the EZ strut is lighter and shaped a little differently at the  top for the EZ NG-6.  Jack Wilhelmson sells two versions of the NG-6--one EZ, one Cozy IV--which seems to confirm that.

I don't remember exactly what the difference is between the LE and COZY MKIV nose gear strut, but it's pretty minor. But Jack's NG-6A's aren't different in the way they attach to the strut - they're different in their overall width and how they fit between The NG-30's, which is different between the LE and COZY MKIV. And as someone who's built one of each, you should know that :-).