CFI Needed

lvpazik

Thinking of purchasing an exceptional Long EZ. I live in Pahrump NV (Las Vegas area). I have 950 hours, mostly high performance/complex single engine. If I make the purchase, the insurance company requires a CFI signoff. I have no clue who to contact that is qualified in this type aircraft. The CFI would have to come here as without a signoff I can't fly to him/her. Any ideas or recommendations?

30 minutes ago, lvpazik said:

Thinking of purchasing an exceptional Long EZ. I live in Pahrump NV (Las Vegas area). I have 950 hours, mostly high performance/complex single engine. If I make the purchase, the insurance company requires a CFI signoff. I have no clue who to contact that is qualified in this type aircraft. The CFI would have to come here as without a signoff I can't fly to him/her. Any ideas or recommendations?

So I have an exceptionally qualified CFII (and you should get an exceptionally qualified canard expert to do a Pre-Buy for you on the LE) in Rosamond, CA that I recommend all my clients to. The first question is, what's the definition of a "signoff"? If they require actual instruction, you can't do "instruction" in a Long-EZ because (unless it's been modified) it doesn't have full dual controls. My CFII does checkouts in his COZY MKIV. If they don't require "instruction", the LE might be adequate, but I/we still recommend doing the training in the COZY, as the right seat is functionally identical to a LE, but the instructor is next to you rather than isolated in the back seat. Safer all around.

You know how to contact me if you want to get in touch with him (or me, for the PB).

Insurance carrier stated "Must receive a CFI check-out in make and model prior to acting as sole PIC". It would come with fresh insepction prior to delivery as part of transaction. It looks like an incredible aircraft:  

https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.316NM.com&data=02|01|rpazik%40iasdirect.com|6218f3073d4b4544849308d6c1ebb3bc|44914c2588d0415bbedc387ef97083e2|0|0|636909615414819688&sdata=p9Y3J5iD3cG2MxPEsAEgx5J8VmAVIy1dvwALXKkYaCc%3D&reserved=0

If you had 10-15 hours in the airplane, would they insure you?  If so, just fly it 10-15 hours and reapply.  Or just fly with Marc’s Cozy guy for a couple hours.  I have never had hull coverage on my Cozy III, Mark IV, or Long-ez.  With your experience, you should have no problem.

$95,000?  I hope he is using a gold brick for ballast!

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Kent, not knowing this particular aircraft, did you see the website explaining the build, options, avionics, engine etc? Though the price may be slightly high for a Long EZ, am I missing something in thinking the quality is at a very high level?  Also, I won't fly without liability insurance, which I can't get without a CFI sign off. I have too much to lose should something happen. It's really coming down to a Long EZ or a Velocity.....

Randy, I'm not Kent but the work is clearly at a high level from the pictures.  Many people have seen Nate's plane so you may get other feedback.

I'd highly recommend a pre-buy inspection and to fully understand any deviation from the Long-EZ plans specifications and dimensions.  For example, how is "Almost double the interior baggage capacity of a plans built long ez." achieved???  Was the airframe widened or lengthened?  "Almost double" is a LOT, so what was the trick?

There's also this gorgeous plane that does not have the same interior quality, but you could make that happen yourself if so inclined.

With $100,000 you can certainly pick between exceptional and gorgeous!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

5 hours ago, lvpazik said:

Insurance carrier stated "Must receive a CFI check-out in make and model prior to acting as sole PIC". It would come with fresh insepction prior to delivery as part of transaction. It looks like an incredible aircraft:

Two things - first, you should ALWAYS get a Pre-Buy examination that YOU pay for when purchasing an airplane. Whomever did the CI on this plane (and since Nate built it and almost certainly has the RC for it, I'd bet a lot of $$$ that he signed it off) was working for Nate, if in fact it wasn't Nate. If you don't see a conflict of interest in using the CI as a Pre-Buy when it was signed off by the guy who's selling the plane (or who works for the guy who is selling the plane), well...

And aside from that, as nice a plane as Nate has built here, it's overpriced, although I suppose if someone's willing to pay it, good for Nate (and for the rest of us, as it'll set a high bar for the rest of the planes). The $79K plane is also way overpriced, although it too is a very nice plane.

All IMO.

A couple of things I would question are (1) Can you taxi it at 10-15 kts in a 10-15 kt headwind without the canopy coming off? and (2) is the white interior going to reflect up into the canopy?

Yeah, it has some nice features but from 50' it just looks like another white EZ.  For $95K I would want some stripes or shark's teeth  🙂  (pic: Dick Rutan's EZ.  Actually a little overdone for my taste.  I would have stopped at the eagle beak and eyes.)  

maxresdefault.jpg

-Kent

19 hours ago, lvpazik said:

Kent, not knowing this particular aircraft, did you see the website explaining the build, options, avionics, engine etc? Though the price may be slightly high for a Long EZ, am I missing something in thinking the quality is at a very high level?  Also, I won't fly without liability insurance, which I can't get without a CFI sign off. I have too much to lose should something happen. It's really coming down to a Long EZ or a Velocity.....

I have followed along online with the construction and flight testing of this Long-EZ for several years and it is a very very nice looking plane with many nice touches.  Where other EZ's have homebuilt looking components, this EZ looks like it was factory built... the details look engineered and like they came off an assembly line.

Lots of flight testing has been done, and issues were discovered and corrected (all shown in the build log) so there shouldn't be any bad surprises.

If I were to consider purchasing this airplane, I'd need to know how much warranty is on the new UL engine.  Other than that.... its expensive, but it looks expensive.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

You can find the build log here, at least starting at the point where Nate picked the project up and took it to completion:  http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index.php?user=jenatepilot&project=2121

From that, I'd expect it to be a "stock" Long-EZ and as Andrew points out it's well built, has been flying, improved and actively maintained.  

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

He started with a UL 390, now has a bigger engine.  I don't recall all the details but I believe he said the first engine did not put out the advertised HP.  You can pretty much read the history of his project here  or search for jenatepilot's posts    http://forum.canardaviation.com/search.php?searchid=19&pp=25

Found another discussion of his engine here.  That's probably what you ought to read  http://www.myulpower.com

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent