buying a Long EZ what to look out for

ronny

Kent thanks for the link, interesting to read all these articles.

There s one that scares me a bit. The articel from Eric Cobb "Buyer Beware" about a VariEze which was bought by a guy and turned out to be unsafe to fly, since there s cracks at the wing attachement.

I would like to hear from other Long EZ owners, experts, where to look when I am going to check out the Long EZ I am looking at.

ALso read the article about the Long EZ with the broken attachements of the landing gear. I will certainly get an endoscope to search for this.

I did fly back seat in the EZ I am looking at. Was wonderfull, just a bit noisy (guess I need a good pair of headphones and a good quality intercom) some exhaust fumes enter the cockpit but not excessive and the plane needs some tidying up.

How can I check the engine, it s a lycoming, will find out later exactly which one

Thanks for your support

Ronny

some exhaust fumes enter the cockpit but not excessive

I've never flown in any plane where I smelled ANY exhaust fumes. I would think that ANY hint of exhaust fumes - especially in a rear-engine plane - would be cause for alarm. Carbon monoxide has killed people. I would not have flown in a plane where there was even a whiff of exhaust fumes in the cockpit.

Not that it can't be repaired - I just would not have flown in it until the leak was fixed.

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

How can I check the engine, it s a lycoming, will find out later exactly which one

A couple of good books about aircraft engines: "Sky Ranch Engineering Manual" by John Schwaner and "Top End" from the editors of Light Plane Maintenance, available from aviation book dealers. They will teach you a lot.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I've never flown in any plane where I smelled ANY exhaust fumes. I would think that ANY hint of exhaust fumes - especially in a rear-engine plane - would be cause for alarm. Carbon monoxide has killed people. I would not have flown in a plane where there was even a whiff of exhaust fumes in the cockpit.

Not that it can't be repaired - I just would not have flown in it until the leak was fixed.

Yeah---but Lycomings just have a certain smell to it. You will get the smell of the engine coming thru the heater valve---even if it is off unless you have a real good seal on it. Since you can't smell the CO, make sure you carry a CO detector.

Updraft cooling pressurizes the lower cowling. The lower cowling area will then be at a higher pressure then the cabin.

Any leaks in the firewall, and lower cowl air can seep into the cabin. Also, holes in the centerspar (wire routing through the center spar to the wing) can also be a path for lower cowl air to get into the cabin.

ALSO - if you have a heat muff, the muff should be plumbed to use outside air rather than engine compartment air.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Updraft cooling pressurizes the lower cowling. The lower cowling area will then be at a higher pressure then the cabin.

Any leaks in the firewall, and lower cowl air can seep into the cabin. Also, holes in the centerspar (wire routing through the center spar to the wing) can also be a path for lower cowl air to get into the cabin.

ALSO - if you have a heat muff, the muff should be plumbed to use outside air rather than engine compartment air.

Waiter

Understood, but that does not mean that you should expect to smell EXHAUST fumes in the cockpit. Having a CO detector is good insurance - but my nose detector is my first clue that something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

No exhaust fumes in the cockpit. Ever.

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

Understood, but that does not mean that you should expect to smell EXHAUST fumes in the cockpit. Having a CO detector is good insurance - but my nose detector is my first clue that something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

No exhaust fumes in the cockpit. Ever.

That's true Phil and a CO detector/indicator is a must.

That said ....... CO is oderless & cannot be detected with our limited senses. What he is most likely smelling is residue on a hot engine.

If the cockpit is vented and holds more pressure that what is building in the cowl then ever that smell would not be present. Most likely the plane is okay.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done